• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

cjp

Nothing like a bit of cunning Paul :D
Now I had never heard of Rothes whereas I do know of Glenrothes in the Kingdom Of Fife where, in my murky past as a student, I visited to play hockey -I was goalie.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The River Leven Bridge, which spans Riverside Park and carries the town's Western Distributor Road, is a cable-stayed bridge that was completed in 1995. The bridge was designed by Dundee-based Nicoll Russell Studios, Architects and was commissioned by the Glenrothes Development Corporation (GDC) as a landmark creating a gateway into Riverside Park that could be seen from further afield. The bridge was constructed by Balfour Beatty Construction (Scotland) and it was the first reinforced-concrete cable-stayed structure ever built in the UK.

cjp

RAF Thame became Haddenham airfield from where the Upward Bound Trust has offerred subsidized flight to many including Duke of Edinburgh Award aspirants but they have now been told to leave with one month's notice.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Roy Williamson, the Scottish songwriter and folk musician who is best known for writing "Flower of Scotland", died in Forres of a brain tumour in 1990. In 1965, he teamed up Ronnie Browne to form The Corries. The partnership lasted over thirty years, following their first performance together at the Jubilee Arms Hotel in Cortachy, Angus.

cjp

OS Maps show the hotel as being in Dykehead rather than Cortachy but it really does not matter since in either event if one follows the B955 in a southerly direction one ends up in the burgh of Kirriemuir featured in lengthy Rugby Song "The Ball Of Kirriemuir" but is perhaps more politely known for the Camera Obscura on the Hill of Kirriemiur donated by J M Barrie of Peter Pan fame.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Kirriemuir Thistle Football Club are a Scottish junior football club, whose home ground is Westview Park, Kirriemuir. They play in the Scottish Junior Football East Region Premier League, also known as the McBookie.com East Premier League. One of the teams that they play against is Blackburn United Football Club, who play their home matches at the purpose built Dem-master Community Stadium (New Murrayfield Park), Blackburn, West Lothian.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

cjp

Frederick Levi Attenborough one time principle of University College Leicester - now the university - was born in Stapleford in Nottinghamshire

cjp

Glasgow has a Charing Cross. The London Charing Cross name comes from of one of the Eleanor Crosses, such a cross is to be found in Geddington