• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Springs Branch

Established Member
Aldeburgh features as the thinly-disguised Seaburgh in the M.R. James ghost story A Warning to the Curious.
Another location appearing in one of James' scary tales (Count Magnus in this case) is Belchamp St Paul.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Springs Branch

Established Member
In M R James' ghost story A Warning to the Curious, Rendlesham is mentioned as the location where a supernaturally-charged Saxon crown was found.

Another Suffolk location associated with the writings of M R James (the site of Castringham Hall in The Ash-Tree) is the village of Great Livermere.

DerekC

Established Member
Palmers Brewery is based in Bridport. Palmers owns pubs in many villages in Dorset, with some in Somerset and Devon as well. My current favourite (haven't tried them all yet!) is the Hare and Hounds at Waytown.

DerekC

Established Member
St Michaels Brimfield has a very odd tower with a stone bottom section and a half timbered top. St Mary Magdalene at Stretton Sugwas has something rather similar, but with less stonework and more timber!

DerekC

Established Member
Before anyone else spots it, both @DerekC and I mixed our latitudes and longitudes in the previous two posts.
But it's clear enough what we're referring to and can continue from Tunstall.

Beverley was also recorded in the Domesday Book.

Oh dear - embarrassment time!

The White Horse in Beverley is a Sam Smiths pub. Sam Smiths is, of course, brewed in Tadcaster.

LUYMun

From 1946 until 2002 the Rolls-Royce car production plant was situated in Crewe. The production was moved near Westhampnett.

LUYMun

St Dunstan's Church in Cheam was used in an episode of the TV show The IT Crowd ("Return of the Golden Child"). The sitcom would be performed in front of a live audience, firstly at the former Teddington Studios, then from Series 2 onwards at Pinewood Studios.