• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The City of Exeter Rowing Regatta is run annually in July; another Regatta can be seen at Henley-on-Thames.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
Windsor Castle was used as the westernmost sighting point for the first triangulation of Southern England, carried out in 1784-90 by William Roy as part of a project to accurately measure the distance from London to Paris. The northernmost sighting point was at Hanger Hill in Ealing. The success of this work resulted in the creation of the Ordnance Survey, with responsibility for accurately mapping the whole of the British Isles.

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
Gwynfynydd gold mine near Dolgellau, closed in 1998, was the last gold mine worked in Wales. Arguably more famous is the Dolaucothi mine near Pumsaint in Carmarthenshire, worked extensively by the Romans and then again for a short period in the 1930s.

A Challenge

Established Member
Newton-in Bowland also lies with the Forest of Bowland AONB and the Ribble Valley borough of Lancashire

Springs Branch

Established Member
Long ago*, The Parkers Arms at Newton-in-Bowland was a favourite refreshment stop on my cycling trips around the Forest of Bowland.

There is also a pub named The Parkers Arms in Paignton.

* in the days when I could sink a couple of pints then continue cycling up hill and down dale without much effect, and before the advent of Gastropubs.