One of the most notable village landmarks in Barwick-in-Elmet is the wooden maypole which stands at the junction of Main Street and the Cross. At 86 feet, this is the second tallest maypole in the UK; the tallest is in the village of Nun Monkton, North Yorkshire, where theirs is 88 feet 5 1⁄4 inches tall.
Thomas Henry Ismay was born on 7th January 1837 in the town of Maryport and was the founder of the Oceanic Steam Navigation Company, more commonly known as the White Star Line in 1863. He died at the age of 62 on 23rd November 1899, and is buried with his wife at St Bartholomew's Church, Thurstaston, Wirral.
Wymondham RFC, founded in 1972, are based at the Barnard Fields Ground and plays in the London 2 North East League. Romford and Gidea Park RFC were one of their opponents during the 2019 / 2020 season; they play at Crowlands, Romford.
The Church of St Anne's, Limehouse was designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor (probably 1661 – 1736), and was one of what is known as Hawksmoor's Six London Churches. Another one was the parish Church of St George's, Bloomsbury in the London Borough of Camden.
In 1935 an Odeon Cinema was opened on Kingstanding Circle. It was designed by John Cecil Clavering OBE (1910 – 2001) who was best known for his work designing cinemas in the 1930s, and for his later work as the architect of the Public Record Office in Kew, London.
Jimmy Hill transformed the fortunes of Coventry City as their manager from 1961 to 1967. Born in Balham, London, in 1928, Hill's first role in professional football was as a player for Brentford FC from 1949 to 1952.