Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,013
The ancient parish church at Gisburn is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin. It is thought, however, that at one time it also had a dedication to St Andrew, and it is thought that a likely explanation lies with the one time patrons of the living, the prioress and nuns from Stainfield Nunnery in Lincolnshire.
 

EbbwJunction1

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,013
Watford FC play at Vicarage Road, Watford and, between 1997 and 2013, shared it with Saracens RFC. Saracens RFC now play at Copthall Stadium in Hendon, which is in the London Borough of Barnet.
 

EbbwJunction1

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,013
The A977 runs between the M90 (Junction 6) and a roundabout at the southern end of the Kincardine Bridge; as well as Tulliallan, it passes through the village of Crook of Devon in Kinross-shire before reaching the M90.
 

EbbwJunction1

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,013
Lancaster Friends Meeting House dates from 1708 and is the longest continual Quaker meeting site in the world, with the original building built in 1677. George Fox, the founder of Quakerism, was near the site on several occasions in the 1660s and spent two years imprisoned in Lancaster Castle. He was born in 1624 in the strongly Puritan village of Drayton-in-the-Clay, Leicestershire, England, which is now known as Fenny Drayton.
 

AndyPJG

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
292
The Ordnance Survey have stated that Lindley Hall Farm on the outskirts of Fenny Drayton is the geographical centre of Britain, however the furthest point from the coast is at Church Flatts Farm in Coton in the Elms.
 

EbbwJunction1

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,013
The present church of St Mary, Coton in the Elms was built in 1844-7 by Henry Isaac Stevens, who is also responsible for the design of Christ Church, a Grade II listed parish church in Belper, Derbyshire between 1846 and 1850.
 

AndyPJG

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
292
The MP for Belper for many years was George Brown, who when elevated to the Peerage took the title of Lord George-Brown of Jevington, (E Sussex) having lived in that area for many years.
 

EbbwJunction1

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,013
The Church of St Peter ad Vincula, Folkington is a parish church dating from the 13th century. Another Church dedicated to the saint is at Coggeshall, Essex.
 

EbbwJunction1

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,013
The village of Easton has no church, but is part of the North and South Stoke with Easton Parish, which contains the church of St Andrew and St Mary at Stoke Rochford.
 

EbbwJunction1

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,013
Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Allington, belongs to the Saxonwell Group of Churches. It is one of four churches in the group, the others being at Long Bennington, Foston and Sedgebrook.
 

Top