Hugh Iorys Hughes (1902-77) was a Conwy-born civil engineer who in 1942 put forward plans which took practical form as the 'Mulberry' floating harbours used in the 1944 Normandy landings (and he built a prototype section at Conwy Morfa). He died in Colchester.
All Saints parish church, Chitterne was built in flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, to the designs of Thomas Henry Wyatt (1807 – 1880) in 1863. The church was designated as Grade II* Listed in 1968 and is now part of the Salisbury Plain Benefice. T H Wyatt was also responsible for renovation work to the Church of St Thomas the Martyr, Monmouth.
The Church of St Mary the Virgin in Chelmsford was probably first built along with the town eight hundred years ago. The nave partially collapsed in 1800, and was rebuilt by the Essex County architect John Johnson, retaining the Perpendicular design. John Johnson was also responsible for the rebuilding of the south aisle of St Andrew's Church, Hornchurch in 1802).