• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

AndyPJG

MS Oldenburg provides a ferry service from Bideford to the island of Lundy.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
If we're accepting Lundy as the name of the settlement as well as the island (and I'm happy to), then we can contiune as follows:

Beacon Hill Cemetery, Lundy was excavated by Charles Thomas in 1969. The cemetery was originally enclosed by a curvilinear bank and ditch, which is still visible in the southwest corner. Celtic Christian enclosures of this type were common in Western Britain; another surviving example is in Luxulyan in Cornwall.

AndyPJG

Was the intention, I confused it by adding 'island of' afterwards. Lundy does have a residential population.

johnnychips

Established Member
At 330 feet above sea level, the church at Bratton, Wilts is the same elevation.
Blimey, I’d never heard of Bratton before, but its Wikipedia entry is fascinating. The one I will go for is that the Westbury white horse is actually carved in the hill above Bratton. Osmington near Weymouth also has a white horse.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Greenock Morton FC train in the Village, away from their usual home ground at Cappielow Park, Greenock.

The engineer and inventor James Watt was born in Greenock in 1736. In 1775 he formed a very successful business partnership with Matthew Boulton in Birmingham, and lived in and around that city for the remainder of his life, dying in his home in Handsworth in 1819.

The Bon Marche in Brixton was Britain's first purpose-built department store. The earliest department store in the country may have been (depending on one's definition of department store) Kendall, Milne in Manchester or Bainbridge's in Newcastle upon Tyne.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Newcastle's Grey's Monument is a Grade I listed monument to Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey, to acclaim Earl Grey for the passing of the Great Reform Act of 1832. It was designed in 1838 by local architects John and Benjamin Green who, amongst many other works, designed Willington Viaduct, Wallsend, between 1837 and 1839.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The Royal National Lifeboat Institution established a lifeboat station at Hope Cove in 1878 on land donated by the Earl of Devon. Four boats, all named Alexandra, were supplied in 1887, 1900 and 1903. The station was closed in April 1930 by which time the neighbouring station at Salcombe had been equipped with a motor lifeboat which could cover Bigbury Bay.

The poet Basil Bunting, whose (probably) best known work was entitled Briggflatts (his spelling), and who is buried in the graveyard of the meeting house there, was born in Scotswood, Newcastle upon Tyne.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Scotswood Road is a main route along the Tyne and is mentioned in the song "Blaydon Races". A Geordie folk song, it was written in the 19th century by George "Geordie" Riley who was born in Gateshead on 10th February 1835.