• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Helston is associated with the Furri Dance or Floral Dance; the lyrics were written by Katie Moss but the music of the dance acquired widespread fame with the version recorded by the Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band in 1977, a year before the Terry Wogan version.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Hugh Town is the location of the annual World Pilot Gig Championships (a Cornish Pilot Gig being a six-oared rowing boat, clinker-built of Cornish narrow-leaf elm). Another settlement which hosts a regular Cornish Pilot Gig regatta is Bembridge, I.O.W.

Springs Branch

Established Member
There is also a Yates's Wine Lodge in Cheltenham.

[EDIT]
Comment: apparently the "Wine Lodge" suffix was dropped a few years ago. Now it's just Yates's.
Let's hope the Cheltenham establishment maintains the venerable tradition of "champagne on draught" pioneered at the Blackpool Yates's.

Last edited:
Bury has a statue of comedian Victoria Wood, whose brother Chris Foote Wood was a local councillor in Bishop Auckland for forty years, and was for six years leader of Wear Valley District Council, based in Crook, County Durham.

johnnychips

Established Member
A ‘golf ball‘ shaped weather station installed at Tunstall has allegedly been blamed for a higher rate of cancers in the area. Similarly, the Sellafield nuclear reprocessing plant has been blamed for a higher rate of cancers at nearby Seascale.