• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Bristol also has a neighbourhood which borrows the name of the capital of the French departement of Herault -- Montpellier -- though Bristol's spells it with only one "L".

'Bristol fashion' means neat and orderly, as in "all shipboard and Bristol fashion". By contrast, a scene of riotous disorder is sometimes described as being like, or being a Donnybrook (after the Dublin district, which had a lively annual fair).

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The author of The Pilgrim's Progress, John Bunyan came from the village of Elstow, Bedfordshire; in 1661, he was imprisoned in Bedford Gaol for 12 years.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Axminster was the southern starting point of the Taunton Stop Line, a Second World War defensive line consisting of pillboxes and anti-tank obstacles; it ran north to the Somerset coast near Highbridge.

Calthrop

Established Member
Axminster was the southern starting point of the Taunton Stop Line, a Second World War defensive line consisting of pillboxes and anti-tank obstacles; it ran north to the Somerset coast near Highbridge.
Highbridge was at the nearer-to-the-sea end of the Glastonbury Canal; whose opposite terminus was, appropriately, Glastonbury.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The Samaritans Way South West is a 103 mile long distance footpath which passes through Glastonbury and Street in Somerset.

Calthrop

Established Member
Bradford-on-Avon (Wiltshire -- on a different River Avon) is another town with the "-on-Avon" suffix, and with a settlement elsewhere in England sharing the first element of the name -- those concerned being Stratford (East London), and Bradford (Yorkshire).

Calthrop

Established Member
Bournemouth also has a church that is dedicated to St Thomas More.

In a survey in 2007, Bournemouth was rated the happiest place in the UK. In contrast: a recent survey reckoned the borough of Surrey Heath -- one of its chief towns, Camberley -- to be the UK's least happy place.

Calthrop

Established Member
Finchley was also once noted for being frequented by highwaymen.

(My bolding) -- so that's why the people of Camberley are so unhappy :smile: !

The protagonist in one of Belloc's comic-verse "epics" about people getting into various predicaments, is Lord Finchley. Ditto re another such by Belloc, is Lord Lundy. (I take it that Lundy Island -- though mostly "about" the beauties of nature -- qualifies, with its permanent population of 26, as a settlement.)

Springs Branch

Established Member
Lincolnshire grocer's daughter Margaret Thatcher served as a long-time MP for Finchley.
Thatcher's initial and unsuccessful dabble into parliamentary pre-selection was for the constituency of Orpington.

Let's continue from....
....... Lundy. (I take it that Lundy Island -- though mostly "about" the beauties of nature -- qualifies, with its permanent population of 26, as a settlement.)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If we're accepting Lundy as the name of the settlement as well as the island (and I'm happy to), then we can contiune as follows:

Beacon Hill Cemetery, Lundy was excavated by Charles Thomas in 1969. The cemetery was originally enclosed by a curvilinear bank and ditch, which is still visible in the southwest corner. Celtic Christian enclosures of this type were common in Western Britain.
Some time ago, Lundy came up on the quiz, which brought up the above posting as a thought on the matter. Therefore to develop that theme, I shall say that Ballyferriter in County Kerry was also a place where a Celtic Christian enclosure was established.

Calthrop

Established Member
Crolly, Co. Donegal, is also a significant stronghold of regular daily use of the Irish language.

The Vereker family held the title of Viscount Gort, after the town. The Seventh Viscount, in 1931 (when he was still Standish Vereker) bought the 16th and 17th century buildings on the Close in Newcastle upon Tyne known as Bessie Surtees House (today the NE base of Historic England); his wife was a descendent of the Surtees family.

He was the younger brother of the 6th Viscount, who commanded the British Expeditionary Force in 1939-40.

Calthrop

Established Member
Benwell was also once under the jurisdiction of the Newcastle-upon-Tyne Poor Law Union.

Flailing around a bit -- the Surtees family has been a prominent one in the North-East. Re Benwell's one-time "big house", Benwell Hall -- demolished in 1982 -- William Surtees had it built, reckonably in the latter part of the 18th century. Surmisedly a member of the same family a generation later: was the author R.S. Surtees (1805 -- 1864), who is buried in the church of Ebchester, County Durham. (R.S.S. renowned for his comic novels about the field-sports scene; his best-known character, the naive but enthusiastic fox-hunter Mr. Jorrocks.)

(Edit after the event: have just noticed @John Griffiths 's mention in post 18,804, of the Surtees family as above -- I discovered them per Google ! William Surtees whom I mention, was the brother of a Bessie Surtees as mentioned by @John Griffiths .)

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Clovelly, Devon, also holds an annual festival celebrating the herring and the fishery thereof.

Calthrop

Established Member
Knutsford, Cheshire, is also in close proximity to a birds-of-prey collection / display centre. (While I dearly love birds of prey -- such outfits seem to be everywhere nowadays.)