• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
The above-bolded settlement had a long-lasting brewery, closed in 1965; the tradition of which, has been taken up again by the present-day Westerham Brewery -- this helped, by yeast from the old brewery's having been preserved in the National Collection of Yeast Cultures; which is located in Norwich.

Calthrop

Established Member
Liverpool also has both an Anglican and a Roman Catholic cathedral

As noted in the chorus of the folk song "In my Liverpool home"....."If you want a cathedral, we've got one to spare"

Penrith also has a settlement in New South Wales, Australia, named after it.

Re the song, and its preceding line, "We meet under a statue exceedingly bare" -- a Scouse friend once explained to me the significance of that; but I've forgotten it.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Re the song, and its preceding line, "We meet under a statue exceedingly bare" -- a Scouse friend once explained to me the significance of that; but I've forgotten it.

The reference is to the very large statue of an unadorned male figure that was placed on the corner exterior of the main entrance of the Lewis's department store on Ranelagh Street in the Liverpool town centre.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
The reference is to the very large statue of an unadorned male figure that was placed on the corner exterior of the main entrance of the Lewis's department store on Ranelagh Street in the Liverpool town centre.
Thanks ! My friend was a positive cornucopia of Scouse lore; but we've long been just on, basically, Christmas-card-exchanging terms.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Olveston is a small village and larger parish; the parish comprises the villages of Olveston and Tockington and three hamlets, one of which is Old Down.

Calthrop

Established Member
The name is shared by a hostelry "not a million miles distant" -- the Old Down Inn at Emborough, Somerset.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The hamlet of Green Ore is now included in the village and parish of Chewton Mendip. The Monarch's Way long-distance footpath follows the route taken by King Charles II after his defeat at the Battle of Worcester in 1651. The route enters Somerset near Chewton Mendip and crosses the Mendip Hills heading for Wells.

The bishop's palace at Wells has swans in its moat, trained to ring a bell for food; many more swans (albeit of the non-Pavlovian variety) are found at the swannery in the Dorset village of Abbotsbury.

Calthrop

Established Member
Abbotsbury has (surprise, surprise) a Swan Inn. So has Erdington -- Birmingham suburb, north-east of the city.

Calthrop

Established Member
The above-bolded settlement lies close by Loch Leven: which harbours a valued piscine sub-species, the Loch Leven brown trout (Salmo trutta levensis). Bala in Gwynedd is adjacent to a lake with a similarly rare and localised fish-type inhabitant: the gwyniad (Corregonus pennantii).

Bala lies on Bala Lake (Llyn Tegid), beneath the waters of which lies the town of old Bala, drowned to punish the wrongdoings of its ruler, the cruel Prince Tegid Foel. In North Yorkshire is the lake Semerwater. Once a city stood there, to which an old man came seeking sustenance, but he was refused at every house, save the hovel inhabited by a poor couple on a slope above. The took him in and gave him sustenance. As he left, the old man turned to look over the city and declared "Semerwater rise and Semerwater sink, and swallow the town all save this house, where they gave me food and drink." And waters rose and swallowed the town, and formed the lake called Semerwater, by the banks of which stands the settlement Countersett.

Or if you prefer, like Bala, Countersett is the setting of a 'drowned settlement' legend.

Too elaborate, that's my trouble. <sighs>

Calthrop

Established Member
Prescot, Merseyside, was also a centre of watch (and also clock) manufacturing.

The renowned nonsense-writer and artist, Edward Lear, lived for a while in the 1830s in Prescot, while working for the Earl of Derby at neighbouring Knowsley Hall. He was born in Holloway, London Borough of Islington.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Styal is dominated by Quarry Bank Mill and much of its housing is the mill's estate. The mill and the surrounding country park are owned by The National Trust. Newport (South Wales) also has a property owned by The National Trust, Tredegar House.

Calthrop

Established Member
Styal is dominated by Quarry Bank Mill and much of its housing is the mill's estate. The mill and the surrounding country park are owned by The National Trust. Newport (South Wales) also has a property owned by The National Trust, Tredegar House.

The Freedom of the above-bolded city was conferred in 1945 on Viscount Montgomery of Alamein. The same warrior and the same battle were commemorated in the same year in Hampshire, where the village hitherto called just Enham, was renamed Enham Alamein.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanington in Kent was also once administered by the Hundred of Westgate.

Which parish was named, until 2019, "Thanington Without". The "Without" appellation has been quite common on the English ecclesiastical scene: basically meaning "just outside" ... whatever. In the City of London, there is the church of St. Botolph's-Without-Bishopsgate.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
One of the major visitor attractions in London is the Tate Modern Art Gallery located in the London Borough of Southwark. It is Britain's national gallery of international modern art and forms part of the Tate group, together with Tate Britain, Tate Liverpool and Tate St Ives in Cornwall.

Calthrop

Established Member
The old riddle about the encountered polygamous gentleman from St. Ives: is, I gather, reckoned to hail not from the Cornish settlement of that name; but instead, from St. Ives in Cambridgeshire.