• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The Church of St Mary the Virgin, Gayton contains some painted 17th Century glass roundels in the chapel windows which are said to have come from the Church of St. Madeleine, Beauvais; they were given by W.H. Fox Talbot of Lacock Abbey.

Springs Branch

Established Member
A stone cross at Croes Llwyd Farm in Raglan is a Grade I-listed scheduled ancient monument.
Two other carved stone crosses, also Grade I listed ancient monuments, are located in the marketplace at Sandbach.

Must refresh more frequently!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Shepton Mallet Prison was opened "before 1625" and closed in 2013. In December 2014 it was announced that Shepton Mallet Prison along with other prisons at Dorchester, Gloucester and Kingston, (an area of Portsmouth) had been sold to City and Country.

Calthrop

Established Member
Kingston, (an area of Portsmouth)

I find this, a right so-and-so to follow. However: the road atlas's index gives no fewer than ten just-plain Kingstons in the UK (not including the above Portsmouth one, hitherto unknown to me). Using the name as the link, I'll chose the most far-flung of them: Kingston (Morayshire) -- right at the mouth of the River Spey. (There are also Kingstons in Jamaica, New Zealand, Canada, and a whole bunch in the USA; but that's by the way.)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I see that Kingston on Spey is a small coastal village in Moray(shire), and is situated immediately north of Garmouth at the western side of the mouth of the River Spey on the coast of the Moray Firth. The Spey is 107 miles long, and it rises at Loch Spey, 10 miles south of Fort Augustus in the Scottish Highlands.

Calthrop

Established Member
Buried in Strathoich Cemetery, Fort Augustus, is Guy Lenox Prendergast (1905 - 86): explorer and soldier, who did his such things in Saharan Africa. He was born in Windsor.

(@EbbwJunction1 -- my comment about difficulty of following on from Kingston, Portsmouth: was meant in admiration, not in complaint !)

Calthrop

Established Member
Buxton and Alston (Cumbria) are rivals for the status of the highest market town in England.

Malvern (which looks lovely, my wife and I must plan a visit) claims the world's smallest theatre; Britain's smallest cinema, so far as I could ascertain, is the 18-seat 20th Century Flicks, Bristol.

Too much time mooning over pictures of Malvern...

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Essex County Cricket Club currently plays all its home games at the County Ground, Chelmsford, although the club's first home fixture in first-class cricket was played at the County Ground in Leyton against Leicestershire in 1894.

Calthrop

Established Member
Aldfield, some dozen miles south-east of Ellingstring, also lies a short way from a noted and impressive ruined Cistercian abbey: these venues being Jervaulx and Fountains, respectively.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
There has been a creamery in the village making Wensleydale Cheese for almost 100 years; it is now owned by the Wensleydale Creamery, which is based in Hawes, North Yorkshire.

A Challenge

Established Member
The village of Sheet in East Hampshire also has a pub called the Queen's Head on the closest thing to a major junction the village has

Calthrop

Established Member
20 men from Sheet were killed in the First World War -- a seemingly distressingly large number for what was then a decidedly small village. On the other hand, Butterton (Staffordshire) is one of England and Wales's forty-odd "Thankful Villages", all of whose men who went off to WWI, returned alive. (Butterton had a station on the narrow-gauge Leek & Manifold Valley Light Railway.)

A Challenge

Established Member
Marsden, West Yorkshire also has a Grade II listed Parish Church dedicated to St Bartholomew.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Marsden is popular as a location for television productions, including Last of the Summer Wine, although it was set and principally filmed in and around Holmfirth, West Yorkshire.

Calthrop

Established Member
A little surprisingly, Holmfirth has a vineyard (inspired by Last of the Summer... ? :smile:) -- one imagines, must be one of Britain's northernmost. Rodington (near Telford, Shropshire) also has a vineyard.