• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
A bit of a "stretch", as is sometimes my wont -- the only other thing I could find about Muirs, is that it has a hostelry called the Muirs Inn. Experimental Googling led me thence to Bo'ness (Borostounness); traversed by the John Muir Way; upon which, and in which settlement, there is a Corbie Inn.

DerekC

Established Member
Shepherd's Bush in the London Borough of Hammersmith also includes an apostrophe in its name. (Finding out about it links one to an enormous on line argument about whether apostrophes should or should not be included in signposts, street signs and so on).

I am wondering if someone might challenge the above link on the basis that the apostrophe in Bo'ness denotes an abbreviation whereas the one in Shepherd's Bush is possessive, but I am hoping there aren't any pedants on this thread!

Calthrop

Established Member
Shepherd's Bush in the London Borough of Hammersmith also includes an apostrophe in its name.

A magazine article which I read long ago: was about various difficulties which the Royal Mail regularly encounters and overcomes -- including "butchery" of place-names in addresses, by correspondents whose first language is not English (this told of, in my perception, affectionately not nastily). Thus, a Polish "addresser" rendered Shepherd's Bush as "Skippersbrush"; and one from the Indian sub-continent made "Arajaba" out of Harwich Harbour (Essex).

(Finding out about it links one to an enormous on line argument about whether apostrophes should or should not be included in signposts, street signs and so on).

I am wondering if someone might challenge the above link on the basis that the apostrophe in Bo'ness denotes an abbreviation whereas the one in Shepherd's Bush is possessive, but I am hoping there aren't any pedants on this thread!

I don't think we need worry: Lynne Truss is too busy endeavouring to become Prime Minister, to do her usual "shtick" <D. (I admit to paying little attention to current affairs: first became aware not many months ago, that there was a person much told of in the news, called Liz Truss -- my first thought was "Goodness me ! Is the author of Eats, Shoots and Leaves trying for a career change?")

Calthrop

Established Member
Banbury, Oxfordshire, also features in a much-liked nursery rhyme. Gloucester's is about Doctor Foster, who -- as Wiki puts it -- "visited the city, got wet, and swore to stay away as a result". Banbury, of course, has the resplendent and musically-accompanied equestrienne.

Calthrop

Established Member
Combe Hay lies on the long-abandoned Somerset Coal Canal. It was the location, on said canal, of one of the very few caisson locks ever constructed. This type of lock would seem to fall in the category of ingenious inventions which basically, don't work. First demonstrated in 1794, as a non-full-size model, by its inventor Robert Weldon: at Oakengates, Shropshire, on the long-defunct Shropshire Canal / Ketley Canal complex.

Last edited:

Springs Branch

Established Member
Oakengates was on the route of Thomas Telford's London - Holyhead Trunk Road (later the A5), although the main through route has now been supplanted by the M54 motorway.

The original A5 road still runs through the Staffordshire village of Weston-under-Lizard.

In the late 17th and early 18th centuries, Boynton Hall was one of the houses of Sir William Strickland, MP variously for the county seat of Yorkshire and the borough seats of Malton and Old Sarum. He had the hall rebuilt to a Palladian design by Lord Burlington, who had in 1729 designed and built Chiswick House in Chiswick, west London.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Japan-based multinational booze-monger Asahi now owns and operates the Fuller's Griffin Brewery in Chiswick.

Asahi also have a finger in the craft beer pie, by way of ownership of the Dark Star Brewery located in Partridge Green, Sussex.

Lock House in Partridge Green was in 2021 claimed to be the most expensive house in Sussex (£6.5m on Zoopla - begging the question of what the Brighton Pavilion or Arundel Castle might fetch). Knowing that 'Reach' will encourage this sort of so-called journalism in all of its rubbishy outlets, it was a quick matter to find that the most expensive house sold in Staffordshire in early 2022 was Haddon House in Shenstone, south of Lichfield (a snip at £2.25m).

Weeford was the birthplace in 1746 of the noteworthy Georgian-era architect James Wyatt, happy in both classical and Gothick idioms, and in the latter remembered for his design of Fonthill Abbey at Fonthill Gifford, Wilts, for William Beckford, supposedly the 'richest commoner in England', not least from his family ownership of slave-worked sugar plantations in Jamaica.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The B5470 minor road runs through Hurdsfield (or Higher Hurdsfield as it's also known); the road runs from Macclesfield in Cheshire to Chapel-en-le-Frith in Derbyshire.

Calthrop

Established Member
Welford is graced by a painted wood carving of that cartoon worthy Postman Pat and his cat Jess -- installed a couple of years ago, replacing a previous rotted-away similar one -- these works, it seems, paid for by the villagers. It would appear that said Royal Mail employee's fictional northern "beat": was inspired by the valley of Longsleddale, located north of Kendal, Cumbria.

Calthrop

Established Member
Launton has two pubs: the Bull Inn, and the Launton Arms -- formerly known (lack of originality, taurine obsession, or both?) as the Black Bull. Sedbergh, Cumbria, still has a pub called the Black Bull.