• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn (rail) Tunnel Closure September/October 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Pretty sure it would be upto Gloucester and then back down the other side, not need for Swindom surely?

I get the journey time would be longer, but it wouldn't be much longer than the replacement bus option and would be a hell of a lot less of a pain in the backside for passengers.

I suspect the paths issue is probably one of the main things, I doubt there is room on either side of the Severn to send along another say 1 train per hour throughout the day, or if there is room it would need pretty careful planning which they can avoid by just using buses instead.

I did actually have a look at RTT before making my post. My question was more about operation in general (rather than just a couple of exceptions).

Have you read Post #29 re route

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Even if paths are available, sending (say) the hourly Portsmouth to Cardiff via Gloucester would need probably two extra three-car 158s because of the longer journey time. A shuttle by the same route would need at least as many units, and if they are the fastest and only train services any unit less than three cars would surely be heavily overloaded. I don't think GWR has that amount of stock to spare.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
There could be route knowledge problems also as the only GWR drivers who work between Severn Tunnel and Gloucester are Swansea HSS Drivers, although some Gloucester drivers might sign it and keep up route knowledge by travelling on other trains. Quite right about the Portsmouth units. Anyway, it would be quicker by bus going direct than a train going on such a circuitous route.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
These ideas never seem to work, which is a shame. Mr Suiter borrowed a hovercraft to trial acorss the Firth of Forth, a route which you might expect to have some success, and the project was abandoned. I imagine the same would happen here. You'd be looking presumably at charging somewhere around a tenner if you intended to turn a profit, and people would rather spend £7 for their car and all it's occupants, or buy a train ticket for a similar fare as the crossing and have the options of simple onward travel.

The same problem applies as with ferries, I'm afraid.

I can't think of anywhere near to the city centre in Newport where you could "land" a hovercraft, s the mud banks on the River Usk are just too steep and deep for this.

Weston could be different, as I guess that you could in theory use the beach. it's big enough, but whether the conditions are good enough, I don't know. I think that the hovercraft landing stage in Southsea has a hard standing, so you'd have to build that first.

Mintona

Established Member
There could be route knowledge problems also as the only GWR drivers who work between Severn Tunnel and Gloucester are Swansea HSS Drivers, although some Gloucester drivers might sign it and keep up route knowledge by travelling on other trains. Quite right about the Portsmouth units. Anyway, it would be quicker by bus going direct than a train going on such a circuitous route.

Swansea HSS men aren't the only ones who sign it, but a handful of Gloucester drivers are the only west drivers who do so, which is what's being discussed and proposed above.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Yes, it was the normal way of getting from Bristol to Cardiff on Sundays. I was already thinking, reading other posts, that for many pax, just staying on a train via Gloucester without having to change would be quite acceptable.

Flamingo

Established Member
I have heard (but not seen in writing) there will be two units stabled in Canton, doing a Cdf-GCR-Bri 06.28 and Swansea-Gloucester-Bristol, possibly 7.28. Not sure on stops.

What they return as, I have no idea.

As I said, this is not 100%, just Messroom chat.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I have heard (but not seen in writing) there will be two units stabled in Canton, doing a Cdf-GCR-Bri 06.28 and Swansea-Gloucester-Bristol, possibly 7.28. Not sure on stops.

According to Realtime Trains there are Cardiff - Temple Meads trains at 0629 and 0940 and a return at 1734, all via Gloucester but not calling there (in the public timetable).

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...16/09/14/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...16/09/14/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Dai Corner

Established Member
See Post #21 although actual details were not posted.

Noted, Philipe, though I couldn't find the Swansea-Bristol you and Flamingo referred to in RTT so I posted the links to what I could find in the hope that someone could clarify.

Incidentally, I did Temple Meads - Gloucester - Newport in a 158 (I think) once during an unplanned closure of the tunnel. It would have been between April 2002 and September 2004 but I can't pin it down any closer than that I'm afraid.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Noted, Philipe, though I couldn't find the Swansea-Bristol you and Flamingo referred to in RTT so I posted the links to what I could find in the hope that someone could clarify.

Incidentally, I did Temple Meads - Gloucester - Newport in a 158 (I think) once during an unplanned closure of the tunnel. It would have been between April 2002 and September 2004 but I can't pin it down any closer than that I'm afraid.

Swansea to Cardiff only. Here's the link:-

www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C49021/2016/09/28/advanced

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Wonder if ATW will crew it?

Unless GWR Swansea crews sign units?

Swansea drivers don't sign units. HSS only. ATW would crew it, in effect, by one of the 3 drivers turns who work to Bristol each day on behalf of GWR. Conductor only required one way as it runs down to Swansea ECS

Flamingo

Established Member
Wonder if ATW will crew it?

Unless GWR Swansea crews sign units?

GWR Cardiff TM's will be working them. They sign 15X's. ATW drivers do some of the unt work for GWR, they might be driving them. It is usually an ATW driver on the first/last to and from Bristol (but I don't know if they sign Charfield).

I don't know if any catering is planned, but the 06.28 usually picks up a trolley at Newport, I can't see any reason it would not.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
GWR Cardiff TM's will be working them. They sign 15X's. ATW drivers do some of the unt work for GWR, they might be driving them. It is usually an ATW driver on the first/last to and from Bristol (but I don't know if they sign Charfield).

I don't know if any catering is planned, but the 06.28 usually picks up a trolley at Newport, I can't see any reason it would not.

ATW drivers (in lieu of the normal Bristol diagrams) could work to Gloucester and Bristol drivers thrown up by cancellations could work from Gloucester to Bristol. Never thought of that when I was posting about GWR route knowledge via Chepstow.

Flamingo

Established Member
ATW drivers (in lieu of the normal Bristol diagrams) could work to Gloucester and Bristol drivers thrown up by cancellations could work from Gloucester to Bristol. Never thought of that when I was posting about GWR route knowledge via Chepstow.
Yea, that would work. I don't know if that's the plan, though! :D

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

158763 on Swansea trip this morning.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I assume the works on the M48 (old Severn bridge) will be finished by then? Not that that will help with the M4 tunnels of course.

Work on the M48 still ongoing.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

People are starting to use Twitter to ask where the capacity is to accommodate passengers between Cardiff and Newport who require to connect into busses at Newport as the usual services are not there. Passengers have been forced to cram at times into already full ATW trains.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

To add to woes, Newport and Cardiff closed all over this weekend due to taking out and putting in bridges in preparation for electrification. However, GWR passengers won't hav e to change busses at Newport for Bristol direction a busses through from Cardiff to Bristol Parkway.

Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Had some fun this weekend!
Problems between Bristol Parkway and Bristol Temple Meads meant that the replacement buses were running to and from Temple Meads instead of Parkway. Add to that the replacement bus I was on breaking down and us all having to get on a replacement replacement bus! The next 5 weeks can't go quick enough!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I had a First Leeds Gemini from Newport this morning. Have to say that although GWR have probably advised passengers not to go overboard with luggage, there was quite a few disagreements between passengers as some were taking up two whole seats full of luggage. When station staff were asking them to move them, they asked where they were supposed to store their lugagge. Quite intense really.

Also, what's this about GWR operating to Swansea? The SWML goes right past my house and I haven't seen any!

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I had a First Leeds Gemini from Newport this morning. Have to say that although GWR have probably advised passengers not to go overboard with luggage, there was quite a few disagreements between passengers as some were taking up two whole seats full of luggage. When station staff were asking them to move them, they asked where they were supposed to store their lugagge. Quite intense really.

Does seem a bit unfair that it basically depends on luck what you get. Both vehicles I was on yesterday (the one that broke down and the replacement) were both proper coaches with luggage compartments underneath. Certainly not sure how some people would have managed without that section!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Has anyone used the City Airport-Cardiff flights which are operating during the closure and how well are they loaded?

anthony263

Established Member
Has anyone used the City Airport-Cardiff flights which are operating during the closure and how well are they loaded?

Fro my observatiosn theya re very well used. In fact talk is of them becoming a regular service.

National express are also doing very well not unusualy now to find a 56 seater coach fully sold out. Willl be interesting to see how busy the 0515 service 509 from Cardiff is tomorrow morning when I drive it.

The 307 Cardiff - Bristol service is picking up and is likely to be a new regular service if only to take pressure off the 202 Swansea - Heathrow service which is struggling to cope with passenger numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.