• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn Valley diesel gala - 3rd - 5th October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edders23

Last time it was in early October I recall the announcement that it was moving from October to April but now see that they are holding a second one this year on the weekend in question.

Looks like not much in way of visitors but then they have the biggest home fleet of any heritage railway.

My question is that having announced NO MORE October diesel galas why have they changed their minds ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The Fifty Event was very successful last year so looks like this year they are giving a lower cost home fleet gala a go.

Edders23

The Fifty Event was very successful last year so looks like this year they are giving a lower cost home fleet gala a go.

The trouble with that is people associate the SVR galas with lots of visiting locos NVR tried that last year and a combination of lack of interesting locos and bad weather put them off diesel events for good

bramling

Veteran Member
The gala in October is basically to showcase the home fleet I believe.

Given how busy SVR diesel galas can be, I can’t see any such event being a flop.

I always enjoyed the October diesel galas, the evening running being particularly atmospheric especially in compartment stock. With the Spring one having a habit of clashing with my holiday plans, I might be tempted to pay a visit this October.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Which is pretty impressive featuring classes 08, 09, 14, 33, 37, 40, 42, many class 50s and two class 52s.
I’ll be there, and looking forward to it too because the above lineup is excellent.
Welcome to the forum by the way.

SCREAMR28

Which is pretty impressive featuring classes 08, 09, 14, 33, 37, 40, 42, many class 50s and two class 52s.
I’ll be there, and looking forward to it too because the above lineup is excellent.
Welcome to the forum by the way.
Cheers :smile:

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Last time it was in early October I recall the announcement that it was moving from October to April but now see that they are holding a second one this year on the weekend in question.

Looks like not much in way of visitors but then they have the biggest home fleet of any heritage railway.

My question is that having announced NO MORE October diesel galas why have they changed their minds ?

This is the kind of esoteric problem which has proved intractable to many great minds throughout history, many of whom have ended their days in protracted mental anguish.

I would suggest, however, that modern technology is now readily available to protect much self-inflicted fingernail erosion.

This is an email address:

[email protected]

If you send your tantalising conundrum to said address, it should ensure your deepest, most searching wishes are accurately and succinctly fulfilled - and truths most earnestly sought revealed.

Edders23

This is the kind of esoteric problem which has proved intractable to many great minds throughout history, many of whom have ended their days in protracted mental anguish.

I would suggest, however, that modern technology is now readily available to protect much self-inflicted fingernail erosion.

This is an email address:

[email protected]

If you send your tantalising conundrum to said address, it should ensure your deepest, most searching wishes are accurately and succinctly fulfilled - and truths most earnestly sought revealed.

and as you should know that's the last place you will get an answer other than spin. The question was asked on here because there are members on here who would be privy to the inner workings of the SVR.

At the time the weekend chosen was causing major problems for the railway or so people were told so why now do a U turn ?

On Moderation
At the time the weekend chosen was causing major problems for the railway or so people were told so why now do a U turn ?
Maybe it makes them money............

It makes sense to have a "home fleet" gala in the autumn, with the big event in the spring with visitors as doing it the other way round is logistically much more difficult as it's RHTT season.

Not sure why there's so much angst about having a second diesel gala?

HOOVER29

Correct.
I shall be visiting.
Hotel is booked as can’t be arsed with the 140 mile trip in one day.
Plus after getting my lungs filled with lovely 16CSVT fumes & fingers crossed my head full of 50033 I’ll be wanting a drink or three so driving will be out of the question.
I definitely won’t take any rocking when my head hits the pillow.
As last year I will be winging the day & not making a plan of attack as life’s too short for that. I’ll leave that to the others & watch as hair is ripped out when they realise that they can’t get behind 50035 or whatever.

HOOVER29

Maybe it makes them money............

It makes sense to have a "home fleet" gala in the autumn, with the big event in the spring with visitors as doing it the other way round is logistically much more difficult as it's RHTT season.

Not sure why there's so much angst about having a second diesel gala?

More galas like this the better.
If there were no galas people would moan.

Peter C

Established Member
I’ll leave that to the others & watch as hair is ripped out when they realise that they can’t get behind 50035 or whatever.

50035 is currently at the GWSR (she went there for their Diesel Gala at the end of July). It would have been nice for the Class 50 Alliance to somehow get her back to the SVR for the gala there, but that isn't happening. Anyway, the 50s at 50 Gala was a different event! :)
Note to anyone wanting to go behind 50035: Look at the GWSR Twitter/other media outlets. She may be running normal services on their line for a while. I know she was a couple of weeks ago.

Personally, I think having two diesel galas in one year is a very good idea. As @Paul Hitchcock has said above, they must be profitable. But the SVR seem to be putting on a couple of different events this year (The "Wizards Express" and the Lights one, mentioned in another thread), so maybe if this doesn't make as much money as they were hoping for they can scrape back some money with those two events.

The lineup for this gala, even though it is just the home fleet, is pretty cool. A couple of 09s, a 14, a 17, 33, 37, 40, 42, 5 50s, 2 52s, and a 108 DMU - very good going. The two 09s will apparently be double-heading services, D1015 "Western Champion" will be there for its first public runs after an overhaul, and 50033 will be there in BR Large Logo, as opposed to what I called the "Signatures" livery of the 50 Gala!

Also: The gala is running from the 3rd to the 5th of October, but the website is saying that they will be running "an increased number of diesel-hauled services" on the Sunday (the 6th). Normal fares will apply. I assume that it will be a normal timetable, but with more diesels operating, along with the steam engines.

-Peter

Edders23

I am not criticising them for holding it and in fact will probably see if I can engineer the thursday off to go. I just find it odd that they announced the gala had to move to spring for operational reasons but then put another one on 2 years later

Peter C

Established Member
I just find it odd that they announced the gala had to move to spring for operational reasons but then put another one on 2 years later
The answer to that is probably they can now put on a gala in October as well as the Spring. Changes can happen to any railway and here one assumes that recent changes here mean they can run two galas this year.

-Peter

HOOVER29

50035 is currently at the GWSR (she went there for their Diesel Gala at the end of July). It would have been nice for the Class 50 Alliance to somehow get her back to the SVR for the gala there, but that isn't happening. Anyway, the 50s at 50 Gala was a different event! :)
Note to anyone wanting to go behind 50035: Look at the GWSR Twitter/other media outlets. She may be running normal services on their line for a while. I know she was a couple of weeks ago.

The lineup for this gala, even though it is just the home fleet, is pretty cool. A couple of 09s, a 14, a 17, 33, 37, 40, 42, 5 50s, 2 52s, and a 108 DMU - very good going. The two 09s will apparently be double-heading services, D1015 "Western Champion" will be there for its first public runs after an overhaul, and 50033 will be there in BR Large Logo, as opposed to what I called the "Signatures" livery of the 50 Gala!
-Peter

If the 5 x 50’s run then I’ll be a happy chappy.
All I’m going for really.
Westerns are impressive as are the 37 & 40 but I’m hankering for the 50’s

Peter C

Established Member
If the 5 x 50’s run then I’ll be a happy chappy.
All I’m going for really.
Westerns are impressive as are the 37 & 40 but I’m hankering for the 50’s
Same here. I like all Western Region machines, from the earliest steam to at least the HST.
I personally think the 37s are very overrated, compared with a 50!
Two of the 5 50s which will be there are going to be the GBRf-liveried ones, which I would really like to see in person. There's a railtour coming down the Cotswold Line in October I think with them on but at 0500 in the morning! Nope!

:)

-Peter

DarloRich

Veteran Member

because they reckon there is money in it! They will be right because they have a really good fleet of diesel locomotives at the SVR. They always put on a good gala.

HOOVER29

Same here. I like all Western Region machines, from the earliest steam to at least the HST.
I personally think the 37s are very overrated, compared with a 50!
Two of the 5 50s which will be there are going to be the GBRf-liveried ones, which I would really like to see in person. There's a railtour coming down the Cotswold Line in October I think with them on but at 0500 in the morning! Nope!

:)

-Peter

People see a 37 & it’s ooh noise & clag. When I was a serious follower of class 50s back in the early eighties to the early 90’s I can honestly say I never looked at a 37. They weren’t bad, they just did nothing for me. A 50 is different. I was happy (or mad) enough to drive the 400 mile round trip from Leicestershire to Exeter st David’s at 2am every Saturday morning to get my haulage fix which if I’m correct was the 06:10 to Waterloo. Even went through 2 Vauxhall Cavaliers doing it.
Happy memories

Peter C

Established Member
People see a 37 & it’s ooh noise & clag. When I was a serious follower of class 50s back in the early eighties to the early 90’s I can honestly say I never looked at a 37. They weren’t bad, they just did nothing for me. A 50 is different. I was happy (or mad) enough to drive the 400 mile round trip from Leicestershire to Exeter st David’s at 2am every Saturday morning to get my haulage fix which if I’m correct was the 06:10 to Waterloo. Even went through 2 Vauxhall Cavaliers doing it.
Happy memories
I never saw the 50s in the 1980s and 90s, but I have seen a lot of them in preservation and they are amazing. Glorious at the GWSR reconfirmed my love for them.

Wow - 400 miles for a 50? Dedication! :) :)

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
They will be right because they have a really good fleet of diesel locomotives at the SVR. They always put on a good gala.
I can confirm that a SVR diesel gala is a good diesel gala. I went to the Spring one once (can't remember the year, although it was less than 3 years ago, probs 2018) and it was amazing.

-Peter

TukayAway

Does anyone know roughly what timetable they will use? I'm planning on going, but would like to know when they start and finish each day to book suitable transport and accommodation.

Peter C

Established Member
Does anyone know roughly what timetable they will use? I'm planning on going, but would like to know when they start and finish each day to book suitable transport and accommodation.
I'm assuming it's a "Start ~9/10 and End at ~1700/1800" sort of deal. They did that when I went last time. But that was a while ago now!
I went by train last time and I was perfectly alright, bar a 20/30min connection at Worcester Shrub Hill. Seeing as Kidderminster National Rail stn. is just next door to the SVR, running for your train home hopefully won't happen! :)

-Peter

fireftrm

I'm assuming it's a "Start ~9/10 and End at ~1700/1800" sort of deal. They did that when I went last time. But that was a while ago now!
I went by train last time and I was perfectly alright, bar a 20/30min connection at Worcester Shrub Hill. Seeing as Kidderminster National Rail stn. is just next door to the SVR, running for your train home hopefully won't happen! :)

-Peter
Many people post questions on car forums asking 'how do my wipers work' etc, they rarely seem to look at their handbook and resort to ther internet by default. I read these two posts and my FIRST reaction was to look at the SVR website (tha handbook) and found that the timetable is there for all to see!!!!! Try it yourself

Peter C

Established Member
Many people post questions on car forums asking 'how do my wipers work' etc, they rarely seem to look at their handbook and resort to ther internet by default. I read these two posts and my FIRST reaction was to look at the SVR website (tha handbook) and found that the timetable is there for all to see!!!!! Try it yourself
I looked at the SVR Live website, which I have found in the past to host Working Timetables.
I don't really understand your post.

-Peter

EDIT: Also, when these two posts were posted, the timetable had not been published on the SVR website. Please, if this was intended to make us seem stupid, do your research.
EDIT the 2nd: Here is the link to the timetable: https://www.svr.co.uk/pdf/Special Events/SVR ADG Timetable (updated 20082019).pdf

fireftrm

The posts didn't appear to have an answer, so I simply looked and found the timetable, as you say named 20082019 - this looks like it was created on the 20th?

duffield

Established Member
Now that *is* an intensive timetable! I wonder if it qualifies for something like 'most full line journeys on a significant length heritage railway in one day'?

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Think I'll go to this. Would be good to see 50033 in *Glorious* paintwork

Status
Not open for further replies.