• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn Valley Diesel Gala Alterations - D213, 26007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does anyone know why these two have been taken off the roster for next weekend? It was the highlight of many people's expectations to have a 40 there, and the SVR have been very vague about reasons behind both cancellations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was wondering that too, also the 37 hardly seems to be doing anything on the Friday, would it not be better to use it on the 40 diagram instead? Wouldn't normally moan as obviously things go wrong sometimes but I'll be spending sixty quid on tickets over the weekend plus coming up from Devon and paying to camp nearby, I would've enjoyed a proper run over the line on the Friday behind it.

trash80

Established Member
Thats sad news, the 26 was the one i was most looking forward to. C'est la vie, still plenty else there. I read elsewhere that the reason they are not there is due to contractual issues.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Mechanical issues with 26007 and issues between the owners of the 40 and the SVR mean that it can't run either. The 26 was pretty much the only reason I was going so I'm instead going elsewhere for the day. A big shame indeed.

The 37 is doing a run to Bridgnorth on the Saturday evening, 1825 from Kidderminster (SVR). But apart from that, and a morning run, it's staying in between Kidderminster and Bewdley. The diagrams look like they are changing the locos at each end rather than running them round, which will make following the diagrams challenging!

Complete speculation (and therefore 100% not accurate) but surely the Severn Valley may still be discussing a contractual issue with the 40? It would be a major attraction for many so its absence may have financial implications. I hope the owners have paid the transportation costs to get it to the SVR, as it has been sent there already!

Here's my attempt to post the diagrams for this event....
http://www.svr.co.uk/pdf/Special Ev...tival Timetable With Locos Updated 130516.pdf

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It says on the PLEG website that 31452 has been added now.

Seaeagle

I was heading up specially for the 40, looks like the South Devon Railway will be getting my money now (Rat out) instead of the SVR.

fgwrich

Established Member
From the reports on Facebook, it doesn't sound like the two NR / RVEL 73/9s may be lasting long - climbing Eardington Bank at 4MPH today. So there may be another diagram change on the horizon this weekend if they continue to poorly perform.

trash80

Established Member
Yes very busy day, Saturday will be unimaginable :D

Does anyone know what the issue was with the 20s which needed them being taken off the train?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes very busy day, Saturday will be unimaginable :D

Does anyone know what the issue was with the 20s which needed them being taken off the train?

Not sure but it was 20142 with the issue. They are both working now and on the last train from Bridgnorth this evening

Can anyone tell me if it's feasible to change trains at Hampton Loade for trains due to pass there? If not I'll have to change plans! :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes Hampton Load is fine for changing

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was just wondering if the trains would be blocking the foot crossing?

Sorry, Hampton Loade is fine, shortish platforms but the trains clear the foot crossing which is at the Bridgnorth end.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry, Hampton Loade is fine, shortish platforms but the trains clear the foot crossing which is at the Bridgnorth end.

Yes no problems at Hampton Loade. If you are heading towards Bridgnorth you need to be in the front 2 or 3 coaches and if heading towards Kidderminster the rear 3 or 4 coaches.

theblackwatch

Established Member
The moves which are potentially dodgy are the '+1' or '+2' connections at Kidderminster which could miss in the event of late running (as one did today!).

trash80

Established Member
Things often don't go 100% to plan especially with heritage stock so you should expect some... flexibility as the day progresses.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Things often don't go 100% to plan especially with heritage stock so you should expect some... flexibility as the day progresses.

Or even with rebuilt heritage traction - apparently 73951 has failed while working a rather full Bewdley-Kidderminster shuttle today. Just like it did last time I had it (as 73104), when it gave up at Ropley after staggering from Alresford on the Mid Hants Railway.

Minilad

Established Member
https://www.flickr.com/photos/xcdrichard/with/27135795575/

A few more from today.
Had a very enjoyable couple of days. Lots of variety. Lots of well known faces. Lots of old friends seen. Lots of railway employees having a bit of thrash!!
Managed to avoid the 73 farce although it did knock everything back 30 mins or so
All in all a very good event and made better by not having to avoid duffs

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Bewdley can be dodgy as well, if they are using platform 1.

There are using platforms 2 and 3 so no issues there. (the two shuttle sets are timed not to connect)

47513 Severn

I was there on Friday and pretty surprised how busy it was. There were five separate eight coach sets in use along with a shorter shuttle set and the 4TC. All were pretty full by the middle of the day, It looks like Saturday will be 'cosy' to say the least. On Friday the only real crowd problem was at Bridgnorth with photographers lining both sides of the footbridge while entire trainloads attempted to cross between platforms.

I know some people were disappointed by the non attendance of a couple of locos but there was so much still there I can't help thinking any more would have almost diluted the experience. It would have required a lot of chopping, changing and short hops if you wanted to get everything on offer.

All in all an excellent day out, many thanks to all involved in the planning and running of the event.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I had an excellent two days behind a good range of locos. No problems with overcrowding as I avoided the shuttle services. Some video from the lineside on Friday

[youtube]VL1lR_9g-40[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.