• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn Valley Railway - Kidderminster

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangie

Established Member
Thinking of going to the Spring Steam Gala on the SVR. I been along the route many times in the past so this time I just wanted to go to Kidderminster to do some photography.
Do you need to purchase a train ticket to be able to access the station platforms? Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Do you need to purchase a train ticket to be able to access the station platforms? Thank you.
Curious why it wouldn't be easier to ask the SVR direct? Its soshul meeja has been updated today, so somebody's listening there...

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Thinking of going to the Spring Steam Gala on the SVR. I been along the route many times in the past so this time I just wanted to go to Kidderminster to do some photography.
I went to the diesel gala last year and just took pictures didn’t need to purchase ticket

AndrewE

Established Member
I went to the diesel gala last year and just took pictures didn’t need to purchase ticket
Why wouldn't you want to contribute in some way? My question would have been "Can I buy a platform ticket on gala days?"

dangie

Established Member
I certainly don't mind purchasing a platform ticket. I just wondered if I needed a train ticket. I'll also be spending cash in the cafe and probably the shop as well.

As for asking on here and not contacting SVR directly, it is a forum after all.

duffield

Established Member
Their website has a very comprehensive list of tickets and there is no mention of platform tickets so I would think the answer to your question is 'no'. I've been a number of times and as far as I can remember wandered freely on and off the platform but I don't think those were gala days.

dangie

Established Member
But you're looking for an official answer?
Well yes I suppose I am, but if you're going to say that, then most of the questions posted on forums could be answered by going straight to the Powers That Be, but if we all did that we wouldn't have a forum.

It's just nice to ask fellow railway enthusiasts.

kje7812

We don't normally charge platform tickets, only at the 1940s events when there are displays on.
I haven't heard anything about platforms tickets this year so you'll probably be fine.

AndrewE

Established Member
We don't normally charge platform tickets, only at the 1940s events when there are displays on.
I haven't heard anything about platforms tickets this year so you'll probably be fine.
Well you should! It would be another income stream - if a modest one - from people who aren't paying a fare (and when trains aren't running) and I think they make nice souvenirs too.
Of course it may be that someone has thought about it and found that the depreciation on the money sunk into printing Edmondson card tickets for low-value sales would actually make a loss...

AndrewE

Established Member
So the £35 I spent in the shop doesn’t contribute?
It would, but I don't generally go to places to buy stuff as SWMBO says I already have far too much (and I agree.) the original question was
I just wanted to go to Kidderminster to do some photography. Do you need to purchase a train ticket to be able to access the station platforms?
and my way of contributing is to buy an entry ticket.

J-Rod

I think if one bothered to look into it properly, those that didn't plan on riding any trains (and therefore 'require' a platform ticket of some sort) would probably buy a coffee or somesuch from the buffet anyway, if they were hanging about. I know I would.

J-Rod

I wouldn't be so sure.

There are plenty of enthusiasts hanging round mainline stations who don't buy anything from station buffets; why would they be any more likely to buy anything from a heritage railway's station buffet?
Unfortunately there are lots of people in the railway enthusiast sector who believe that their mere presence is a benefit to any given organisation; putting their hands into their pockets is far beyond what they consider a reasonable expectation. :'(

Maybe they should introduce a Mrs Doyle character, who traverses the platform with a tea turn and a tin of French Fancies and doesn't leave you alone until you buy one ("Ah, go on...")

E759

The Trust are £8.8M short of their £10M target to keep the railway going into the future. Every little helps as they say ;)

Harbornite

Established Member
No but it's common courtesy to buy something from the shop or make another donation of some sort, unless of course you intend to travel and you've got a ticket.

bramling

Veteran Member
No but it's common courtesy to buy something from the shop or make another donation of some sort, unless of course you intend to travel and you've got a ticket.

I wish that would be policy in places like the Ian Allan bookshop. Often full of people who get in the way and damage books by way of browsing them, but purchase little or nothing.

On Moderation
Maybe they should introduce a Mrs Doyle character, who traverses the platform with a tea turn and a tin of French Fancies and doesn't leave you alone until you buy one ("Ah, go on...")
Then you’d get a Father Jack character telling the cup what to do!

Ken H

On Moderation
rather than buying a thomas the tank engine pencil you dont want, surely better to make a donation, and gift aid it, as I believe most preserved railways are charities. Then the railway gets some cash from the government. The booking office should have gift aid envelopes. Or do it online later.
You have to be a taxpayer to gift aid BTW

Peter C

Established Member
Not on the subject of Kidderminster, but quite interesting;

Highley station has a small machine which dispenses platform tickets (albeit probably for more of a souvenir purpose than actual use). I have used it a few times and it takes 50p (or similar, I can't remember). If you don't want to travel on the railway at all, fair; you do you. However, I think that it could be something interesting to photograph.

-Peter

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Hello people. Unfortunately the 125 Group's had to announce that they're not bringing 41001. At the Keighley Railway (or where ever it was used last) it was showing signs of engine trouble so is being stood down til it's repaired and in running order.

The 5 Mark 3 coaches they'll still be using but replacement traction for 41001 is being decided.

To me, that's like having to drink coffee without sugar.

Regrettably 41001 is one of the reasons why I was attending. But hey ho.

Someone on Twitter said at the Keighley Railway event they, caught on video, spotted oil running down the side of the engine. I bet it was hot weather.

It's typical as 41001 has to be the only locomotive not attending.

Hopefully one of the East Midlands Trains VP185 power cars can be spared - if not, any HST power car spare. EMT have spared a 43 to XC twice and used a full set for a 125 Group rail tour, 5 years ago I believe. Surely that's got to be better than a normal diesel loco.

On Moderation
Hello people. Unfortunately the 125 Group's had to announce that they're not bringing 41001. At the Keighley Railway (or where ever it was used last) it was showing signs of engine trouble so is being stood down til it's repaired and in running order.

The 5 Mark 3 coaches they'll still be using but replacement traction for 41001 is being decided.

To me, that's like having to drink coffee without sugar.

Regrettably 41001 is one of the reasons why I was attending. But hey ho.

Someone on Twitter said at the Keighley Railway event they, caught on video, spotted oil running down the side of the engine. I bet it was hot weather.
Hot weather?! It was cold and wet on Monday! If it’s all the same, I’m glad someone else is making decisions on 41001 if that’s your diagnosis of the issue.

It's typical as 41001 has to be the only locomotive not attending.

Hopefully one of the East Midlands Trains VP185 power cars can be spared - if not, any HST power car spare. EMT have spared a 43 to XC twice and used a full set for a 125 Group rail tour, 5 years ago I believe. Surely that's got to be better than a normal diesel loco.
Won’t be a production power car. The Mark 3s going to the SVR have standard 900V ETS equipment, not HST type 415V three phase.

Last edited:

D.K.TAYLOR

Hot weather?! It was cold and wet on Monday! If it’s all the same, I’m glad someone else is making decisions on 41001 if that’s your diagnosis of the issue.

Won’t be a production power car. The Mark 3s going to the SVR have standard 900V ETS equipment, not HST type 415V three phase.
47749 visitor thanks to Gbrf doing 41001 66 now Friday/ Saturday only 50 turns 50007 / 035 new roster being worked on

Peter C

Established Member
Slightly off current subject, but;
With the station improvements surrounding the mainline station, the cobblestones are being replaced with tarmac. Is this happening to the cobblestones directly outside the SVR station? If so, that's a shame. I know it's for safety, but it's a bit sad.

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.