• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shabbiest stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Bow Brickhill and Kempston Hardwick. Even in the context of the Marston Vale line those two are awful, especially given the former serves a decent chunk of south east MK equating to around 30,000 people in the immediate vicinity.

but they are shacks on an all pots stopper line. They are ok. The platform are in good nick, there is a shelter and a help point that sometimes works! You could say the same for any of the intermeidate stations on that line. (except Fenny Stratford!) I mean Bedford St Johns is a dump.

To me the worst i have used are:

Kirkgate (shudder)
Great Yarmouth ( awful)
New Street (Shudder)
Crewe (seems to be held up by scaffolding. You could overlook that when there was hardcore loco changing action all day long but now......)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

moonrakerz

Southampton Central - an absolute dump !

What an advert for Britain for arriving cruise passengers.................

Ivo

Established Member
Newport was a disgrace until they did it up last winter. Now it looks out of place.

Gloucester. Major station, absolute dump. 'Improvement works' hastened by fire-lighting scum destroying the ticket office, but not much seems to have happened yet. Current ticket office is a Portacabin out the front.

Like the rest of the city centre then. The bus station is probably the worst bit though.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Newport was a disgrace until they did it up last winter. Now it looks out of place.

I'd rather have the old station building back at Newport rather than that hideous monstrosity they have new, which is totally unfit for purpose and woefully thought-through.

Ivo said:
Like the rest of the city centre then. The bus station is probably the worst bit though.

Gloucester's a nice city, leave it alone (though I do think Cheltenham betters it in several aspects).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Can't believe how Manchester Victoria got into such a state when most of it was just about rebuilt in the 1990s

The part of Manchester Victoria that other members making comment upon surely will be the untouched area from where the old platforms 1 and 2 used to be to the area where the Manchester Metrolink platforms are, but the funding for the new overall roof will see all that section totally re-vamped with the other parts of the station refurbishment package.

BestWestern

Established Member
Southampton Central - an absolute dump !

What an advert for Britain for arriving cruise passengers.................

Aww, I quite like So'ton Central! And they are now doing some very substantial facelifting, half of platform 4 has been behind hoardings for weeks now. Looking forward to the end result!

Clip

Established Member
Sudbury & Harrow road. Yes I know they have hardly any services from there but its such a state they should stop spending money on it trying to keep it clean and close it and then maybe realign the track to speed up services a little

Ticket Man

Dartford on the Southeastern metro is pretty poor, basically a container bolted onto the side of a bridge. Considering the footfall that goes through there each day you would think that they would spend a few quid on it.
If the old electric heater they got in the waiting room has its way, they wont have to worry for much longer though!

So when is the refurb work actually starting on man vic then? Seems it was announced a few months back but no work seems to have started yet:roll: Isn't new st supposed to be getting a makeover as well, something to do wiv trying to get some natural light to the platforms;):roll:

Dstock7080

Established Member
Barking. Woof woof woof woof woof.
Already named and shamed as one of the UK's top ten worst.
Barking has recently received new platform lighting and all platforms have been resurfaced.

How about Euston Square for the LU candidate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.