• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shack Attack 2019- Revenge of Shippea Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
28/01

Alphen a/d Rijn
Woerden
Heemstede
Haarlem
Alkmaar
Den Helder
Heerhugowaard
Alkmaar Noord
Hoorn
Enkhuizen
Castricum
Almere Centrum
Hilversum

29/01

Venlo
Den Dolder
Amersfoort Vathorst
Winterswijk
Tiel
Geldermalsen
Brussel-Schaarbeek

Kite159

Veteran Member
In a similar area to Kite I kicked off 2019 with the following:-

Peartree
Uttoxeter
Willington
Duffield
Spondon

Last two used 156403 and 153326, possibly sat in the same seat a couple of hours after the grand master of station clearance !

Ah the dogbox, which turned into a "how many folk can you squeeze onto a 153 challenge" after Lowdham coming back from Newark Castle.

How did you get on with the access control of Peartree?

B37Nth/B48Sth

Ah the dogbox, which turned into a "how many folk can you squeeze onto a 153 challenge" after Lowdham coming back from Newark Castle.

How did you get on with the access control of Peartree?

Our shared dogbox had a similar problem at Duffield. When boarding at the rear door the TM did comment on how cosy the train would be for our trip to Derby.
( nothing beats a Whitchurch- Radyr single dogbox when Stereophonics playing Ninian Park last year. Left Central with people sitting 3 on the tables. Took around 4/5 mins to get people off there was that many. I was one of 3 left on the train to Radyr !)

RE Peartree
I had heard of probs with access. Things may have changed - walked up the ramp and saw the push button , pressed accordingly but no noise from the gate . Looked at the gate but lock not engaged . Same thing on access southbound-not locked but tightly closed to appear locked .

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Our shared dogbox had a similar problem at Duffield. When boarding at the rear door the TM did comment on how cosy the train would be for our trip to Derby.
( nothing beats a Whitchurch- Radyr single dogbox when Stereophonics playing Ninian Park last year. Left Central with people sitting 3 on the tables. Took around 4/5 mins to get people off there was that many. I was one of 3 left on the train to Radyr !)

RE Peartree
I had heard of probs with access. Things may have changed - walked up the ramp and saw the push button , pressed accordingly but no noise from the gate . Looked at the gate but lock not engaged . Same thing on access southbound-not locked but tightly closed to appear locked .

Not a 'phone customer services because you're trapped on the platform' jobby then :lol:

Granted that was January 2016...

gazr

02/02
Avonmouth
Shirehampton
St. Andrews Road
Montpelier
Clifton Down
Stapleton Road
Sea Mills
Filton Abbey Wood

04/02
Ivybridge
Totnes
Liskeard
Sandplace
St. Keyne Wishing Well Halt
Causeland
Coombe Junction Halt
Bodmin Parkway
Menheniot
Lostwithiel

05/02
Newton Abbot
Torquay
Par
St. Columb Road
Plymouth
Amazingly foggy day. Not much fun visiting places you can't see!!

06/02
Umberleigh
Yeoford
Morchard Road
Crediton
Copplestone (met Zeus the station cat)
Dawlish Warren
Starcross
Teignmouth
St. James' Park

Obviously, 03/02 was the excellent BLS tour to Looe :)

Established Member
01/02
Oban

02/02
Severn Beach (A)
Pilning (B)
Patchway

Established Member
January 2019:
Bromley Cross
Burnside
Castleton
Cherry Tree
Darwen
Gretna Green
Hall i'th' Wood
Kings Park
Lockerbie
Moston
Nitshill
Patterton
Rishton

B37Nth/B48Sth

16/02

Prestbury
Smithy Bridge
Rochdale
Todmorden
Littleborough
Accrington
Burnley Manch Road
Burnley Barracks
Colne
Hapton
Brierfield
Rose Grove
Nelson
Burnley Central
Blackburn
Darwen
Bromley Cross

gnolife

Established Member
16/02
Heathrow Airport T5
Heathrow Central
Heathrow Airport T4
Southall
Highbury & Islington
Gidea Park
Whitechapel
Sydenham
West Croydon
Belmont
Cheam
Sutton
Gospel Oak
Harringay Green Lanes
Harringay
Bowes Park
Farringdon
Waterloo East
London Charing Cross
Queenstown Road Battersea
Battersea Park

LU
Heathrow Terminals 2,3
Heathrow Terminal 5
Highbury & Islington
Upminster
West Ham
Whitechapel
Ealing Common
Bounds Green

Cletus

Established Member
16/02/19

Chippenham
Westbury
Trowbridge
Bradford-On-Avon
Keynsham
Yate
Stapleton Road
Montpelier
Parson Street
Lawrence Hill

Gathursty

Established Member
19/02

Wolverhampton
Oxford
Worcester Foregate Street
Worcester Shrub Hill
Smethwick Galton Bridge

A Challenge

Established Member
Friday 22nd February
Viru
Hobujaama
Paberi
Kesturg
Bussijaam
Lubja
Majaka
Sikupilli
Majaka põlk
Ülemiste jaam
Ülemiste linnak
Lennujaam

Tallinn trams

Kite159

Veteran Member
Stations revisited February 2019

22/2:
Broughty Ferry (B)
Barry Links (A)

23/2:
Golf Street (B)
Balmossie (A)
Monifieth (B)
Pegswood (A)

25/2:
British Steel Redcar (B)
Egton (B)
Battersby (B)

Staying in Newcastle for the BLS tour gave me an excuse to visit Pegswood after getting bowled out last October with a poorly 156. Also the timings for a visit to the least used station worked out well, gets it out of the way in case it gets mothballed IBM style or reduces to a weekly service. Stayed overnight in Carnoustie in order to get a private train from Golf Street, saved messing around with multiple visits to that area.

(Key, (B) where I've boarded where I had only previously alighted, (A) is where I've alighted where I had previously only boarded)

My winter slowdown has come to an end :)

Last edited:

gazr

20/02
Cambridge North
Thetford
Brandon
Cromer
Roughton Road
West Runton
Ipswich

21/02
Trimley
Bury St. Edmonds
Stowmarket
Newmarket
Dullingham
Thurston
Westerfield
Felixstowe

22/02
Sheringham
Worstead
North Walsham
Salhouse
Hoveton & Wroxham
Oulton North Road
Somerleyton

23/02
Waterbeach
Wickham Market
Melton
Beccles

24/02
Lakenheath
Audley End
Whittlesford Parkway
Shelford

25/02
Oulton Broad South
Darsham
Brampton
Halesworth
Haddiscoe

26/02
Derby Road
Needham Market
Woodbridge
Attleborough
Wymondham

Well, that's most of Anglia Plus done! Will make proper plans for finishing the rest off.. Although those shacks between Ely and Norwich could prove to be a right PITA!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm surprised you weren't up in Newcastle for the BLS Tyne & Wear Metro jolly ;)

The hardest one between Ely & Norwich is Shippea Hill, at least Eccles & Harling road have 2 services in each direction and Spooner Row is only a ~3 mile walk to Wymondham [with a bus move available]

Esker-pades

Established Member
I'm surprised you weren't up in Newcastle for the BLS Tyne & Wear Metro jolly ;)

The hardest one between Ely & Norwich is Shippea Hill, at least Eccles & Harling road have 2 services in each direction and Spooner Row is only a ~3 mile walk to Wymondham [with a bus move available]
My "plan" for Shippea Hill is to do a ~3 hour walk from Lakenheath over a Saturday.

The simplest is to order a taxi to take you from Shippea Hill tp Littleport though.

Kite159

Veteran Member
My "plan" for Shippea Hill is to do a ~3 hour walk from Lakenheath over a Saturday.

The simplest is to order a taxi to take you from Shippea Hill tp Littleport though.

The simplest is the 5 mile walk from Littleport, although both walks are not the easiest as there isn't much of the way of a pavement.

gazr

I had booked this past week back in November (great deal on hotel!) thinking it'll be nice and cool (not a fan of heat... so much for that), so BLS tour was not an option. Plus, I'm not a big fan of anything non-BR. I'm trying to warm up to it, seeing as things are progressing more towards trams, etc :( I'll be on the two BLS tours over the weekend in March and the 3 days in April :) I need to find a cheaper hobby!

As for Shippea Hill... I refuse to pay for a taxi... May have to hire a bike in Cambridge (seriously, that place is Bike City) for the day and put some physical effort into scratching it. Maybe drag a mate along for the 'experience'!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I had booked this past week back in November (great deal on hotel!) thinking it'll be nice and cool (not a fan of heat... so much for that), so BLS tour was not an option. Plus, I'm not a big fan of anything non-BR. I'm trying to warm up to it, seeing as things are progressing more towards trams, etc :( I'll be on the two BLS tours over the weekend in March and the 3 days in April :) I need to find a cheaper hobby!

As for Shippea Hill... I refuse to pay for a taxi... May have to hire a bike in Cambridge (seriously, that place is Bike City) for the day and put some physical effort into scratching it. Maybe drag a mate along for the 'experience'!

Good idea into hiring a bike, Ely is ~ 8 miles away and the roads are mainly flat.

If walking dragging a mate along is also a good call, just to give you someone to chat with on the long walk

Status
Not open for further replies.