• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shack Attack 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
29 May

Southbourne
Haywards Heath
Eastbourne
Bexhill
Ore
Ham Street
Normans Bay
Cooden Beach
Hampden Park
Lewes
Glynde
Shoreham-by-Sea
Fishersgate
East Worthing
Worthing
Littlehampton
Ford
Chichester

UK Total: 1908

Gathursty

Established Member
29 May

Dovey Junction
Bow Street
Aberystwyth
Llanwrtyd Wells
Llangamarch Wells
Garth
Cilmeri
Llangynllo

Finally Gathursty visits a new station and some favourites in Mid Wales.

youngiecj

29/05/21

Day out with my eldest child produced.

Hertford East (Will come back for the rest of the branch)
Broxbourne
March (Surprised myself I had never got off before)
Whittlesford Parkway

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
01/06/2021
Wembley Stadium*
Caledonian Road & Barnsbury
Homerton
Enfield Lock
Ponders End
Effingham Junction
(*The Station, Stadium itself is dud in both old and new forms!)

gnolife

Established Member
5/6
South Gyle
Rosyth
Dunfermline Queen Margaret
Dunfermline Town
Cowdenbeath
Glenrothes with Thornton
Kinghorn
Burntisland
Aberdour
Dalgety Bay
North Queensferry
Dalmeny
Camelon

I am new to this shack attack business, & looking back at the archives I have not found a definition for stations to be included, but using my own (rather restrictive) criteria, that to use a station, one must either:
• Arrive on a train and leave by other means
• Arrive by other means and leave on a train; or
• Arrive on one train and leave on another train (this being another physical vehicle, meaning I doubt most on here will have covered Stourbridge Town, for instance)
I have over this & the previous two days covered a total of 9 new stations:
• Tamworth
• Barnsley
• Cononley
• Bradford Forster Square
• Ilkley
• Stourbridge Town
• Stourbridge Junction
• Stratford-upon-Avon
• Hatton

sftfan1909

I am new to this shack attack business, & looking back at the archives I have not found a definition for stations to be included, but using my own (rather restrictive) criteria, that to use a station, one must either:
• Arrive on one train and leave on another train (this being another physical vehicle, meaning I doubt most on here will have covered Stourbridge Town, for instance)
• Tamworth
• Barnsley
• Cononley
• Ilkley
• Stourbridge Town
• Stourbridge Junction
• Stratford-upon-Avon
• Hatton
Often at termini by Stourbridge Town a visit is counted if the headcode of the service changes. I don't count it like that unless I've actually stood on the station too. At the end of the day everyone has their own rules - I can think of at least one example where I've counted a station that didn't quite fit those rules, but it was a sufficient visit that I've allowed it. As for Stourbridge itself, I walked into town and back before leaving - same vehicle, arrived and left by train, would you count it?

birchesgreen

Established Member
My personal rules are a station is counted if you have stood on the platform, preferably by arriving at the station by train. In some cases like Polesworth i wave that requirement as it'd be a long wait for the next service!

The exile

Established Member
• Tamworth
• Barnsley
• Cononley
• Ilkley
• Stourbridge Town
• Stourbridge Junction
• Stratford-upon-Avon
• Hatton
My own, highly personal, rules are:
1) Arrival or departure must be by train or unscheduled replacement (as long as you are then able to access the station)
2) arrival or departure may not be by the same train service ( ie returning on the same unit from a terminus is Ok - as long as I get off the train for long enough to take a photo, use a station facility or leave the station etc)
3) The permitted exception to 2) is where the station stop is so long that a non shack-basher might get off. Examples include photo stop on rail tours, elongated passing stops on single lines, train failure etc ( the last two now fairly rare in the uk thanks to door locks but common enough elsewhere)
Think that covers most eventualities!

sftfan1909

My own, highly personal, rules are:
1) Arrival or departure must be by train or unscheduled replacement (as long as you are then able to access the station)
2) arrival or departure may not be by the same train service ( ie returning on the same unit from a terminus is Ok - as long as I get off the train for long enough to take a photo, use a station facility or leave the station etc)
3) The permitted exception to 2) is where the station stop is so long that a non shack-basher might get off. Examples include photo stop on rail tours, elongated passing stops on single lines, train failure etc ( the last two now fairly rare in the uk thanks to door locks but common enough elsewhere)
Think that covers most eventualities!
I share pretty much the same rules, but I don't count photo stops.

The exile

Established Member
I share pretty much the same rules, but I don't count photo stops.
I justify that one to myself on the grounds that they are not put there for the benefit of shack-bashers and that as their location was not advertised in advance, they weren’t the reason I was on the tour. Mostly a historic dilemma as I’ve only done about one tour this millennium - besides which, how else would I get stations such as Onllwyn and Dunfermline Upper!

Cletus

Established Member
1st time west of Cardiff...

5th June
Carmarthen
Pembroke Dock
Johnston
Milford Haven
Swansea

6th June
Fishguard & Goodwick
Fishguard Harbour
Ferryside
Pembrey & Burry Port

7th June
Lamphey
Pembroke
Penally
Tenby

8th June
Skewen
Neath
Bridgend
Dinas Powys
Eastbrook

GW4117

• Tamworth
• Barnsley
• Cononley
• Ilkley
• Stourbridge Town
• Stourbridge Junction
• Stratford-upon-Avon
• Hatton
I'm happy to include stations arrived at by any means, of course preferably rail.
However, I need to have seen some form of traction whilst there.
So while visiting friends in Cardiff -

04/06

Lisvane & Thornhill

sftfan1909

09/06
Pokesdown #846
New Milton #847
Hinton Admiral #848
Bursledon #849
Bitterne #850
Hamble #851
Woolston #852
Sholing #853
Netley #854
Ashurst New Forest #855

Start of FOSS rover to finish shacks in area. Overshot and missed Totton because I wasn't in front 5 carriages !

Last edited:

djpontrack

16/04

Giggleswick

10/05

Queenstown Road Battersea

12/05

Dunkeld & Birnam
Edinburgh Gateway

13/05

Acton Bridge

14/05

Potters Bar

29/05

Clapham (North York’s)

31/05

Ribblehead
Horton-in-Ribblesdale

After an epic 4-day cycle ride from London, taking in the Two Tunnels and the new path from Tutshill to Tintern, I crossed off Ledbury, and Great Malvern, seeing 172331 from last weekend in the opposite platform, before taking The Little Turbo That Could (165126) to Paddington, getting the dignity of an arrival into [4].

A Challenge

Established Member
Wednesday 9th June
Darnall
Woodhouse
Kiveton Bridge

Kiveton Park
Worksop
Shireoaks

A walk along the Chesterfield Canal between Kiveton Park and Worksop, hence the strange order of visits (italics is just stopped at, otherwise used)

Status
Not open for further replies.