Shapes on my Ticket

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by tomtrainspots, 13 Feb 2020.

1. tomtrainspots

tomtrainspots Member

Hello all-

After looking through my ticket collection, I noticed that many of my train tickets had a small circle or diamond on the top of them. Naturally, i did some googling but to my bewilderment I couldn't find any information regarding my query.

Below I have attached links to 2 images containing tickets with the unexplained shapes printed upon them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p02aligu5cben8/Photo 13-02-2020, 20 47 43.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2umh7i0rpmthkty/Photo 13-02-2020, 20 42 02.jpg?dl=0

I have all confidence that someone, somewhere knows what these shapes correspond to (if anything at all) and I hope my restless mind can be settled :)

- Thomas

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. jnjkerbin

jnjkerbin Member

I believe the circle corresponds to a railcard discounted ticket and the diamond to a child rate fare - just a way to make it more conspicuous to staff checking tickets.

4. tomtrainspots

tomtrainspots Member

Ah ok, makes sense really. Guess if people were on a crowded train, a guard could in theory skim-read tickets quicker and know instantly when a discounted ticket is being used. Thanks for your help :)

(I was hoping the reason be more interesting, and I'd start a cult of the ticket shapes. We'd make a pyramid scheme and conjure up many conspiracy theories. I'm disappointed. I will be filing a formal complaint to the ticket gods.)

5. YorkC

YorkC Member

AIUI, the circle is printed on all discounted tickets whether railcard or not - e.g. LNER Blue Light Card (34% off) tickets print with the circle but state "adult standard class" with no mention of the source of the discount.

6. setdown

setdown Member

On some tickets, the black circle is replaced with a "D", which I suppose is more obvious to its intention.

7. Saperstein

Saperstein Member

Or “DSB” on tickets issued from older machines.

But this probably shows a Disabled Rail Card discount is in use, not sure what other types of Railcard show on said tickets.

Saperstein.

8. Saperstein

Saperstein Member

Found a couple of examples:

AD5E1D70-A8B5-4DEF-8D01-CEEBEBB9E443.jpeg ED6B4BC8-BB32-40CA-9D93-F91E9D03C0AF.jpeg

“DSB” on the Seaford ticket evidently plays a similar roll to “D” on newer ticket stock, or indeed the circle which is the observation by the OP that started this thread.

“NSE” on the London tickets I believe means Network Railcard.

Saperstein.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2020
  9. yorkie

yorkie Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

That's right. The LNER tickets I use are like this.

10. Wallsendmag

Wallsendmag Established Member

That's a promo discount so no need to reference why.

11. AlbertBeale

AlbertBeale Member

Railcard-discounted tickets I bought just recently had the circle/blob on them, and I wondered what it meant (and had intended to ask someone on here). I'm virtually certain I've never had the blob on discounted tickets in the past... Maybe it's a fairly new thing.

12. yorkie

yorkie Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

The new style tickets have been around for years but some TOCs were slow to take this up and even now some still use the old style!

Edit: 6 years ago:
    GTR revenue protection officers confiscated tickets issued on the new style. GTR settled the matter out of court and paid a four figure sum.

To put it into context, Year 6 primary school students back then are now at college!

Yet some things never change.

13. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

I had my ticket clipped by a TfW conductor this week, and it left a steam-engine-shaped hole in it.
    Does that have any mysterious significance? ;)

14. JBuchananGB

JBuchananGB Member

Old style tickets have SNR printed when issued with a Senior Rail Card. I think I have also seen the 'D' and the solid circle on new style tickets.

15. Wallsendmag

Wallsendmag Established Member

The D and indeed C are for printers that don't have the ability to print the circle/diamond.