- 17 Jul 2012
The Specialist Leisure Group, which among various hotel chains also owns coach operators Shearings and National Holidays, officially entered administration today.
Specialist Leisure Group Limited and certain subsidiaries* (in Administration) (‘the Specialist Leisure Group’)
The Specialist Leisure Group entered Administration on 22 May 2020.
All tours, cruises, holidays and hotel breaks booked with the Specialist Leisure Group have been cancelled and will not be rescheduled.
The Specialist Leisure Group operated several businesses that sold holidays and other travel arrangements under the following brand names, which have all ceased to trade, due to the impact of COVID-19.
All hotels trading as Bay Hotels, Coast & Country Hotels and Country Living Hotels will not reopen. Click here for a full list of hotels that have ceased to trade.
All Wallace Arnold Travel shops are now permanently closed. If you booked a holiday through a travel agent that was not Wallace Arnold Travel, please contact your travel agent in the first instance.
Customers who have booked with one of the above brands should read and follow the advice below.
Click here for Package holiday bookings
Click here for all other holiday bookings
Click here for additional customer information
Package holiday bookings
All package holiday bookings, including organised tours and cruises, have been cancelled and will not be rescheduled.
All customers with cancelled package holiday bookings, which include organised travel, are expected to have financial protection. Customers with Holiday Credit Notes, issued for package holidays cancelled since March 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, may have the same financial protection as under their original booking.
It is important that customers read and follow the advice below to confirm if and how they can claim a refund for their cancelled holiday.
Travel by Coach, Rail and River Cruises
If your package holiday / tour included travel by coach or rail, or you booked a cruise, with overnight accommodation, your holiday is expected to be covered by The Confederation of Passenger Transport, Bonded Coach Holidays Scheme or by your credit / debit card issuer.
Visit http://www.bch-uk.org/ for further information and advice on making a claim for a refund. Claims will be accepted through this website from Tuesday 26 May 2020.
Flight Inclusive Package Holidays
If you booked a flight inclusive package, your holiday may be covered by the ATOL scheme.
The Specialist Leisure Group sold flight inclusive ATOL protected package holidays through Shearings Holdings Ltd – ATOL 1666. Please check your holiday booking documentation for an ATOL certificate to confirm if your holiday is covered.
Customers with ATOL protected bookings will be contacted by the UK Civil Aviation Authority in due course, either directly or via their booking / travel agent, with further information and advice on making a claim for a refund.
Please visit https://www.caa.co.uk/ATOL-protection/Make-an-ATOL-claim/Latest-ATOL-holder-failures/ for additional information.
Holidays booked through Travel Agents
Specialist Leisure Group bookings through Wallace Arnold Travel
- All Wallace Arnold Travel shops are now permanently closed.
- If you purchased a Shearings, National Holidays or UK Breakaways holiday through Wallace Arnold Travel, please refer to the information on this page to confirm your options to claim a refund for your cancelled holiday.
Other Wallace Arnold Travel bookings
- Only holidays operated by tour operators in the Specialist Leisure Group have been cancelled, as a result of the Administration.
- If you booked your holiday through Wallace Arnold Travel, for a trip arranged by a tour operator not in the Specialist Leisure Group, your holiday booking should be unaffected.
- Tour operators that are not part of the Specialist Leisure Group include, but are not limited to, Jet2 Holidays, Tui, P&O Cruises and Butlins. To confirm the tour operator you have booked with, check your paperwork or ATOL Certificate for a flight inclusive package.
- If your holiday is with a different tour operator (not the Specialist Leisure Group) please contact them directly regarding your booking.
Bookings through other travel agents
Visit www.abta.com/wallace-arnold-travel-limited for further information and advice if you booked your holiday through Wallace Arnold Travel.
- If you booked a holiday through a travel agent that was not Wallace Arnold Travel, please contact your travel agent in the first instance.
All other holiday bookings
If you do not have financial protection for your holiday booking, other options to claim may be available to you. The options available to you will depend on your method of payment and insurance cover as outlined below.
Holiday bookings without financial protection may include:
Customers with Holiday Credit Notes, issued for package holidays cancelled since March 2020, may have the same financial protection as under their original booking. Please follow the guidance for “Package holiday bookings” in the first instance.
- Self-drive holidays;
- Hotel reservations with Bay Hotels, Coast & Country Hotels and Country Living Hotels (click here for a full list of these hotels);
- Activity only bookings, without organised coach travel; and
- Some Holiday Credit Notes, e.g. those issued for self-drive holidays and hotel breaks cancelled since March 2020.
If you paid any part of your booking on credit card, please contact your card issuer to confirm if you are eligible to claim a refund. If your booking was ATOL protected, you will be able to claim for a refund through ATOL. The UK Civil Aviation Authority is contacting consumers directly or through their travel agent with further information.
The contact number for your card issuer is likely to be located on the reverse of your card (otherwise it can be found online).
Please note that the card issuer is the bank which issued the card to you, not the payment processor. For example, if you have a HSBC MasterCard, the card issuer is HSBC (not MasterCard).
If you paid any part of your booking on debit card, please contact your card issuer to understand if you have any financial protection under the chargeback scheme.
Depending on your policy, you may be able to claim on your travel insurance.
Please contact your travel insurance provider to discuss the options available to you.
Claim in the Administration
If you are not eligible for a refund in any of the ways mentioned above, you may be entitled to submit a claim in the Administration of the Specialist Leisure Group, as an unsecured creditor.
You should only make a claim as an unsecured creditor if you have exhausted all other options. At this early stage, it is not known if any money will be available to meet such claims.
You can register your unsecured creditor claim by emailing SLGAdministration@uk.ey.com or writing to the Joint Administrators at the following address: c/o S J Woodward and C P Dempster, Ernst & Young LLP, 2 St Peter’s Square, Manchester, M2 3EY, United Kingdom.
Please include in your email / letter the following information:
- Your name and address;
- Total claim amount, i.e. the amount paid for your holiday;
- Details of your booking, including booking reference number, destination, dates, number of travellers; and
- Evidence of purchase, i.e. your booking confirmation.
Additional customer information
If you are a customer and have a query that is not answered above, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions (‘FAQs’) on the Administrators website at https://www.ey.com/en_uk/ey-slg-administration which will be updated regularly.
If your question is not answered in the information above or the Administrators’ FAQs you can contact the Administrators at:
- ShearingsGroup@uk.ey.com if your booking was with Shearings Holidays, Wallace Arnold Travel, Bay Hotels, Coast & Country Hotels or Country Living Hotels; or
- NationalHolidays@uk.ey.com if your holiday was with National Holidays, UK Breakaways, Caledonian Travel or Sporting Breaks
Creditors and suppliers
The Administrators will be contacting all known creditors of the Specialist Leisure Group in due course.
If you were a supplier to the Specialist Leisure Group, and you require further details in relation to the Administration, please direct your enquiries to the Administrators’ office by email at SLGAdministration@uk.ey.com
All employees of companies in the Specialist Leisure Group are being contacted separately by the Administrators.
For media enquiries please contact ShearingsPress@uk.ey.com
Hotels previously operated by the Specialist Leisure Group
Coast & Country Hotels
- Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, Ilfracombe
- Bay Carlton Hotel, Great Yarmouth
- Bay Prince of Wales Hotel, Berkeley
- Bay Great Western Hotel, Oban
- Bay Highland Hotel, Strathpeffer
- Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, Whitby
- Bay Tarbet Hotel, Loch Lomond
- Bay Broadway Park Hotel, Sandown
- Bay Marina Hotel, Newquay
- Bay Majestic Bournemouth Hotel, Bournemouth
- Bay Eden Arms Hotel, Rushyford
- Bay Majestic Eastbourne Hotel, Eastbourne
- Bay Grand Hotel, Exmouth
- Bay Marine Hotel, Llandudno
- Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel, Weymouth
- Bay Caledonian Hotel, Fort William
- Bay New Southlands Hotel, Scarborough
- Bay Libertys Hotel, Blackpool
- Bay Norbreck Hotel, Scarborough
- Bay Torbay Hotel, Torquay
- Bay Esplanade Hotel, Paignton
- Bay St Ives Bay Hotel, St Ives
- Bay Tor Park Hotel, Torquay
- Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, Melrose
- Bay Burlington Hotel, Eastbourne
- Bay County Hotel, Llandudno
- Bay Valley of Rocks Hotel, Lynton
- Bay Beresford Hotel, Newquay
- Bay Strathmore Hotel, Morecambe
- Bay Savoy Hotel, Bournemouth
- Bay Grand Atlantic Hotel, Weston-super-Mare
Country Living Hotels
- The George Hotel, Chollerford
- The Imperial Exmouth Hotel, Exmouth
- The Golden Lion, Hunstanton
- The Derwentwater Hotel, Keswick
- The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, Pitlochry
- The Portpatrick Hotel, Portpatrick
- The Ship & Castle Hotel, St Mawes
- The Charlecote Pheasant, Stratford upon Avon
- The Imperial Tenby, Tenby
- The Grand Atlantic, Weston-super-Mare
- The Windermere Hotel, Windermere
This page was last updated on 22 May 2020.
- Country Living Lansdown Grove, Bath
- Country Living St George, Harrogate