• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield Grimesthorpe diesel depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

D7666

In 1961 Grimesthorpe shed, Sheffield, closed to steam but retained for diesel locomotives until Tinsley opened in 1965.

There is some variation in wording used in both books and web sites, and all are rather vague. Some say Grimesthorpe was for stabling diesels, other say servicing, and none refer to refuelling.
I usually interpret stabling as no facility for servicing or fuel, and a refuelling point no servicing or other maintenance except water and possibly lubricating oil and/or sand.

I am aware Darnall was the main Sheffield area diesel depot before Tinsley opened, this question is not about Darnall or other code 41X sheds, but specifically about Grimesthorpe.

Is anyone able to accurately say what diesel activity actually took place at Grimesthorpe ?

--
Nick

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Barrett

I can't answer your question with the accuracy that you require but can only speculate that nothing other than stabling was involved. How long it lasted must also, for me, be a matter of speculation as the freight terminal, opened towards the end of 1963, was built on the site of the former Midland Railway Locomotive Depot at Grimesthorpe.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Grimesthorpe used to have an allocation of Class 08 shunters, even when it was a LMR depot (19A). I suspect it ought to have had some fuelling facility for these - probably preferable to sending them to another LMR depot every time they needed fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.