• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield - Hull

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperOwl86

Travelling to Hull and back on Saturday

Need to be in Hull for around 9.30 whats the cheapest I could do it for?

2 people we both have Disabled rail cards.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The cheapest return ticket is £15.90 for an Off Peak Day Return (CDR) per person with either 1 or 2 Disabled Railcards (it makes no difference if one or two Railcards are held).

Is that what you were asking? If you were asking for the cheapest combination of tickets then unfortunately no-one has yet devised a method of calculating the cheapest, and I doubt they ever will!

SuperOwl86

Would that ticket allow travel via LDS?

Looking on National Rail they is a 07.12 changing at LDS.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Sheffield - Thorne North Off-Peak Day Return £3.90 x 2 = £7.80
Thorne North - Hessle Off-Peak Day Return £6.95 x 2 = £13.90
Hessle - Hull Anytime Day Return £1.90 x 2 = £3.80
Total: £12.75 x 2 = £25.50

Sheffield - Thorne North Off-Peak Day Return £3.90 x 2 = £7.80
Thorne North - Brough Off-Peak Day Return £5.60 x 2 = £11.20
Brough - Hull Off-Peak Day Return £4.25 x 2 = £8.50
Total: £13.75 x 2 = £27.50

Sheffield - Hull Off-Peak Day Return = £15.90 x 2 = £31.80

All tickets are valid at any time at weekends.

As you can see stopping patterns (or even route) of the trains you take can affect which fare combination is the cheapest. Any fare experts should be able to give you many more options.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
According to the Routeing Guide Leeds is not a valid route for Sheffield - Hull.
You can go via Doncaster and Thorne North, Doncaster and Selby or Wakefield/Pontefract and Goole.

SuperOwl86

Surly National rail should not be giving me this route when I search also a price aswell.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Remember that National Rail itself does not retail tickets. If you can get a ticket-selling website to give you the above itinerary and buy the ticket from them then you should have the journey honoured as it is. Make sure you bring the printed itinerary with you when you travel and stick to the itinerary as given.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Surly National rail should not be giving me this route when I search also a price aswell.
Sorry, but your post does not make sense to me.

The National Rail website will give the route via Leeds and give the correct fares for single tickets via Leeds, though it does struggle a bit with return tickets. It does state "You need to buy multiple tickets for this journey", also when you click through to buy tickets, it does not pass on details of both tickets (this is a known flaw as documented in previous threads on this subject).

Anvil1984

Established Member
Just remember if you try the Northern £10 ticket it'll have to be on Northerrn services only so you have to use a Northern service Sheffield to Leeds then changing again at Selby or York onto another Northern service.

I think theres engineering works again this weekend so also probably a bus from / to Brough at best

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Just remember if you try the Northern £10 ticket it'll have to be on Northerrn services only so you have to use a Northern service Sheffield to Leeds then changing again at Selby or York onto another Northern service.

I think theres engineering works again this weekend so also probably a bus from / to Brough at best

Northern of course run an hourly Sheffield-Bridlington/Scarborough via Doncaster and Hull, although as you mention its buses from Brough to Hull this weekend.

Anvil1984

Established Member
Yeah there is the direct one but the OP muddied the waters by mentionning Leeds earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.