• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield - London Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
As you can see in the meet thread, I'm doing that birthday bash thing.

Friday 12th December.
First Class Sheffield - London return.

I'm just wondering what the best trains to get are (for FC availability/price).
I want to be on a HST from Sheffield to London, but I don't mind a Meridian on the way back.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The only way to guarantee a HST is to get a Leeds service.

In theory you can tell by looking at the EMT TT as it is (or was!) colour coded, but a substitution could occur to a train that terminates at Sheffield.

In the morning that is going to be a bit more tricky as the tickets for peak time services sell out fast!! But on the way back it's a bit easier. I know you said you want a fare from SHF, but a tip: if you book to/from Leeds (specify via Leicester) you can be sure the train goes to Leeds, and it does not cost extra to do this (as far as I can see). If you want a ticket from Manchester, specify via Hathersage and it should offer AP fares to Manchester. (You can still get a TPE, as it will not reserve you between MAN and SHF).

I would not wait, I'd log on to a booking site now (NXEC's is good, if you like thetrainline interface then try a site like FSR as they don't require you to log on before searching) and get those fares ASAP as they've already been on sale for a while and many of the best fares are already sold out. Only the 21:25 from STP has the cheapest fares available at £15 FC. And going from SHF to STP you can't leave until 11:18 at that price!!

Gizmogle

Established Member
Cheers. The world of tickets confuses me greatly,

I think it'll probably be the 1218 from SHF to STP. Only problem is getting back. I can't find any good advance fares. So I'm just trying to think of an alternative from coming back via London.

rail-britain

Established Member
Returning from London on a Friday is going to result in the minimum number of First Class advance fares being available
Here is what I can currently find (as at 07:50 on Tuesday 14 October, full fare - no discount applied) :
12:25 £15.00
13:25 £20.00

You could risk leaving until the end of November, as more advance seats are released, personally I'd book either of the above now

An alternative is to book :
Sheffield - Leeds
Leeds - London
London - Leeds
Leeds - Sheffield
You could then travel outwards on HST to St Pancras, and return from Kings Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.