• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield - Luton Airport Parkway

Status
Not open for further replies.

j_walker1804

Evening all,

First time posting so go easy on me please!

I need to be at Luton Airport Parkway at 1000ish on Tues 6th Sept (fly at 1345) from Sheffield.

I'll be returning from St Pancras on Mon 12th Sept (preferably want the 1857/1932 as it's a HST).

What's the best way to do it? Anytime return to St Pancras and bail at Luton Airport Parkway? I have a 16-25 railcard.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

james-martin

If I understand your request correctly as:

09:29 Sheffield to Luton Airport Parkway (Change at Leicester) on 6th Sept 16
19:32 London St Pancras to Sheffield on the 12th Sept 16.

If so I believe you can use a Super Off-peak Return from Sheffield to London route Chesterfield as the fare manual does mark that ticket as valid for break of journey for the outward portion. The only penalty you pay is that you can't travel before the 19:32 service. So it depends how keen you are to pay the extra £68.

Would be good to hear from anyone with experience of breaking an outward journey at LTN to check that this does work in practise with barrier staff?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The OP needs to be at Luton around 1000.

An Off Peak Return costing £94.25 allows arrivals into St Pancras after 1005 so might be suitable depending although the earliest arrival at Luton Airport Parkway is 1031.

Coming back the evening restrictions finish at 1859 so no good for the 1857 but would be ok on the 1932.

Alternatively, purchase an Anytime Single from Sheffield to St Pancras for £59.05 and finish short at Luton Airport PW (bizarely an Aytime Single to St Pancras is cheaper) and get a Super Off Peak Single from St Pancras to Sheffield for the return costing £48.50 (valid after 1859).

j_walker1804

Thanks for the help guys. Looking like an Anytime Single to STP and change at Leicester (guessing I can do that?) and an Advanced Single back to Sheffield.

Ta!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just found another way as well..

0649 SHF-STP £42.80
0929 STP-LTN £8.05

Save almost a tenner that way!

howittpie

The 19.55 to Sheffield is also an HST but arrives in Sheffield 30 minutes earlier than the 19.32. The 19.32 goes via Nottingham.

j_walker1804

Don't forget you can book through to Luton Airport that includes bus shuttle fare 'up the hill' from Luton Airport Parkway station to Luton Airport.
Many ticket holders don't realise this and have to fumble for change to pay before entry on the bus. so book to Destination 'Luton Airport' *not* 'Luton Airport Parkway' to reach the Airport LUA not LTN!
http://www.london-luton.co.uk/to-and-from-lla/travelling-from-the-north

I've been wondering how that worked - much obliged!

robbeech

Established Member
Look at changing at Wellingborough on the way down too, might not work out cheaper but will likely be quicker and less likely to cause issues going in and out of London.

Status
Not open for further replies.