• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield - Rotherham Tram Train Service updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I'm surprised. Is there any point in going to Parkgate Retail World at the moment?
Parkgate also has a small park-and-ride car park for anyone commuting into Sheffield.

Being local, and doing my weekly food shop at Parkgate, I've seen the odd tram-train come and go on the hourly service, with somewhere between very few and no passengers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llandudno

Established Member
Parkgate also has a small park-and-ride car park for anyone commuting into Sheffield.

Being local, and doing my weekly food shop at Parkgate, I've seen the odd tram-train come and go on the hourly service, with somewhere between very few and no passengers.
What was patronage like on the Tram-Train only section of the route prior to lockdown?

Three trams per hour on a non clockface frequency isn’t the most attractive proposition?

Jozhua

Established Member
I hope writs fly. Far too many examples of UK rail operators accepting poor quality and late deliveries. Deliver on time and high quality , otherwise every contract penalty will be enforced, should be the policy to change the culture.
The issue is, HS2 tried to employ this technique from the get go, with a price premium for getting the contractors to shoulder the risk vs the government.

Ultimately if you want something doing quickly and on time, then get ready to pay for it to happen.

That said, HS1 was on time and budget, so likely the same could be done for HS2 either way.

markymark2000

On Moderation
What was patronage like on the Tram-Train only section of the route prior to lockdown?

Three trams per hour on a non clockface frequency isn’t the most attractive proposition?
Based purely on the trips which I have seen, there are a good few people using the Tram Train. Probably around 7-10 each way to Parkgate with another 5-10 or so each way from the main tram network to Rotherham Central.

eastwestdivide

Established Member

Based purely on the trips which I have seen, there are a good few people using the Tram Train. Probably around 7-10 each way to Parkgate with another 5-10 or so each way from the main tram network to Rotherham Central.

I'd have said more than that at certain times of day - a few times last year I travelled from the Sheffield direction about 4pm, and lost count at 30-odd getting off at Rotherham, with a smaller number staying on to Parkgate.

Llandudno

Established Member
Crikey, I hope they carry more than that on the occasions you’ve not seen them, otherwise an extremely expensive white elephant!

How much did the scheme end up costing, and what other more beneficial rail based improvements could have been implemented in the Sheffield City region for a similar amount of money?

markymark2000

On Moderation
I'd have said more than that at certain times of day - a few times last year I travelled from the Sheffield direction about 4pm, and lost count at 30-odd getting off at Rotherham, with a smaller number staying on to Parkgate.
I only saw it off peak so peak times may be higher

Crikey, I hope they carry more than that on the occasions you’ve not seen them, otherwise an extremely expensive white elephant!

How much did the scheme end up costing, and what other more beneficial rail based improvements could have been implemented in the Sheffield City region for a similar amount of money?
There are a lot of reasons not to use the tram though and to instead use the buses. I think that was underestimated. Also the costs kept building with the delays because it was a brand new project for the UK. Any future projects might be slightly better.

I would be interested to hear figures for when there are events on at the arena. Is that busy?

Llandudno

Established Member
I only saw it off peak so peak times may be higher

There are a lot of reasons not to use the tram though and to instead use the buses. I think that was underestimated. Also the costs kept building with the delays because it was a brand new project for the UK. Any future projects might be slightly better.

I would be interested to hear figures for when there are events on at the arena. Is that busy?
Seems strange for a modern metro type service serving large population centres that mid evening frequency of the TranTrain is only every 30 minutes and the last tram train departs Sheffield City Centre at 2244 and 2030 on Sundays.
Not much use for a night out compared to Manchester and Nottingham’s which run until well after midnight.
Even heavy rail Merseyrail has last trains on all routes until at least 2330.

Trainfan344

Established Member
But what demand is there? If you want to go to Rotherham there are trains still running on the National Rail, or if you want to go to anywhere else on the route then the normal trams would surely suffice.

ALEMASTER

Not sure if you've noticed, but there is currently a global virus pandemic going on and people are told to stay at home and not travel unless they really need to (and even then to avoid public transport if possible). Hence the low passenger numbers!

Currently a limited emergency timetable funded by the government is operating for key workers which is hourly 0630-1830 Mon-Sat and 0830-1830 Sunday. Between Meadowhall and Sheffield Centre the Yellow route tram is also operating hourly 0600-2200.

The normal service, pre Coronavirus, was up to 3 trams per hour Mon-Sat 0530-2300 and Sunday 0830-2030 and passenger numbers had been building up quite nicely. This is in addition to Northern running 3 trains per hour from Rotherham Central to Sheffield and the Yellow route tram Meadowhall-Sheffield.

The reason the last tram on the Tram Train route isn't as late as the rest of the tram network Mon-Sat was no paths being available on Network Rail, something that has been addressed for the summer timetable - once the full service is restored as Coronavirus lockdown is eased and demand for travel returns the last tram train from Sheffield Cathedral will be 2330, returning from Parkgate to Sheffield at 0002.

Llandudno

Established Member
But what demand is there? If you want to go to Rotherham there are trains still running on the National Rail, or if you want to go to anywhere else on the route then the normal trams would surely suffice.
Makes it all the more surprising then to spend £75m on it!

Llandudno

Established Member
Not sure if you've noticed, but there is currently a global virus pandemic going on and people are told to stay at home and not travel unless they really need to (and even then to avoid public transport if possible). Hence the low passenger numbers!

Currently a limited emergency timetable funded by the government is operating for key workers which is hourly 0630-1830 Mon-Sat and 0830-1830 Sunday. Between Meadowhall and Sheffield Centre the Yellow route tram is also operating hourly 0600-2200.

The normal service, pre Coronavirus, was up to 3 trams per hour Mon-Sat 0530-2300 and Sunday 0830-2030 and passenger numbers had been building up quite nicely. This is in addition to Northern running 3 trains per hour from Rotherham Central to Sheffield and the Yellow route tram Meadowhall-Sheffield.

The reason the last tram on the Tram Train route isn't as late as the rest of the tram network Mon-Sat was no paths being available on Network Rail, something that has been addressed for the summer timetable - once the full service is restored as Coronavirus lockdown is eased and demand for travel returns the last tram train from Sheffield Cathedral will be 2330, returning from Parkgate to Sheffield at 0002.
Hopefully the more useful planned evening service you mention will improve patronage. At least a 2330 last tram train will mean you can visit the Crucible, City Hall, SUFC evening matches and the Moor Cinema without fretting about missing the last tram home.

ALEMASTER

Makes it all the more surprising then to spend £74m on it!

The biggest reason is it is a pilot to test how the concept can be introduced to the UK, once lessons have been learned it can be rolled out to other areas such as Cardiff Valleys.

Rotherham is a small town in need of some regeneration so the demand for travelling in that direction is limited, however there is a strong commuter flow from people that live in the Rotherham area and work in Sheffield and/or enjoy Sheffield's night life. The Northern Train service cannot be increased due to limitations caused by the single track line between Rotherham and Meadowhall along with congestion at Sheffield Station.

The Tram Train provides more rail services between Rotherham and Sheffield, serves a lot of intermediate stops that the train misses including the Ikea retail park at Carbrook, the Arena and the Olympic Legacy Park & College - as well of course as Parkgate shopping park which has a park & ride car park attached. Tram Train also goes right into Sheffield City Centre proper whereas the rail station is right out on the edge of the Centre, so another potential benefit is passengers coming from the Doncaster/Leeds direction wanting Sheffield City Centre can interchange from train to tram at Rotherham Central on basically the same platform.

ALEMASTER

Hopefully the more useful planned evening service you mention will improve patronage. At least a 2330 last tram train will mean you can visit the Crucible, City Hall, SUFC evening matches and the Moor Cinema without fretting about missing the last tram home.

Indeed, that is the hope! Sadly most of those sort of attractions will be closed for a while yet by the looks of it though!

markymark2000

On Moderation
Seems strange for a modern metro type service serving large population centres that mid evening frequency of the TranTrain is only every 30 minutes and the last tram train departs Sheffield City Centre at 2244 and 2030 on Sundays.
Not much use for a night out compared to Manchester and Nottingham’s which run until well after midnight.
Even heavy rail Merseyrail has last trains on all routes until at least 2330.
Combine that with a non standard frequency (presumably to fit in with the national rail services) and the fact it's not that much quicker than the train. The timetables and fares are difficult to find compared to other tram networks because it is all contained in the main Stagecoach site rather than having a separate site.

For people from Rotherham, I would be saying that you need the 'through' services rather than them terminating at Cathedral. The uni and Hillsborough could generate some cross city demand to/from Rotherham. I also would have added a stop at Magna to help people get there on the tram network.

As for Parkgate, you are relying on people travelling through to Meadowhall or Sheffield as Parkgate to Rotherham Centrals market share is very much with buses.

I think that they have the potential to make is a bit more successful but I don't think it will ever be that busy because most people who would travel from Rotherham to Sheffield would need to change in Rotherham and at that point, it will be most cost effective to get a dayrider and use the buses rather than the trams.

ALEMASTER

Travel to Uni and Hillsborough can be achieved with a simple change of tram in the City Centre onto the high frequency Blue/Yellow route, given Network Rail's limited capacity and performance regime there is a reluctance to have tram train running on street through Hillsborough where delays in road traffic congestion can occur.

In Rotherham, the bus Interchange and tram/train station are pretty much across the road from one another and the tram train is reasonably integrated with bus on the ticketing front - A Stagecoach Silver Dayrider (£4.90) works on all their buses and trams in South Yorkshire & Chesterfield whilst the multi operator product - South Yorkshire Connect (£7.00) - also includes both bus and tram. All the buses from Rotherham to Sheffield are operated by First so if a connecting bus into Rotherham is also operated by First then there is a price advantage of going on the frequent bus service over tram train (First Day ticket is £5), although that bus service is known to be quite unreliable due to traffic congestion, something which the tram train avoids being on segregated railway all the way. Also from what I've observed much of the bus demand is to Meadowhall shopping centre rather than Sheffield City.

Stagecoach Supertram is integrated with Stagecoach bus in terms of website, app and ticketing, but it does have its own webpage - https://www.stagecoachbus.com/supertram

Definitely got potential, just needs chance to build usage up and be recognised as an integrated part of the local system.

Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation
Travel to Uni and Hillsborough can be achieved with a simple change of tram in the City Centre onto the high frequency Blue/Yellow route, given Network Rail's limited capacity and performance regime there is a reluctance to have tram train running on street through Hillsborough where delays in road traffic congestion can occur.
Changing trams is easy, doesn't mean people want to do it! Direct journeys are always better than changing. Traffic can occur anywhere and while it might not be ideal, you have to weigh out the benefits.

In Rotherham, the bus Interchange and tram/train station are pretty much across the road from one another and the tram train is reasonably integrated with bus on the ticketing front - A Stagecoach Silver Dayrider (£4.90) works on all their buses and trams in South Yorkshire & Chesterfield whilst the multi operator product - South Yorkshire Connect (£7.00) - also includes both bus and tram. All the buses from Rotherham to Sheffield are operated by First so if a connecting bus into Rotherham is also operated by First then there is a price advantage of going on the frequent bus service over tram train (First Day ticket is £5), although that bus service is known to be quite unreliable due to traffic congestion, something which the tram train avoids being on segregated railway all the way. Also from what I've observed much of the bus demand is to Meadowhall shopping centre rather than Sheffield City.
They are across the road but but it's still extra walking. Especially if you are changing between buses. The proper interchange isn't there.

As for buses to Sheffield, they will have the market share over the tram based on the price difference and the minimal journey time difference. By the time you have got into Rotherham (however you got there), walked to the tram, waited and got into Sheffield, you have saved little-no time compared to just using the bus. With Stagecoachs biggest routes into Rotherham duplicated on the core sections by First, do you pay £4.90 and walk between the bus and train stations or pay the £5 and have an almost seamless interchange.

Stagecoach Supertram is integrated with Stagecoach bus in terms of website, app and ticketing, but it does have its own webpage - https://www.stagecoachbus.com/supertram

Definitely got potential, just needs chance to build usage up and be recognised as an integrated part of the local system.
Supertram is too intigrated in my opinion. It should be on a separate website with only the basic journey planning stuff included on the Stagecoach site. The only way to view any useful information is by setting your location on the website (not useful). To view fares you have to use 'plan your journey', Timetables can only be seen trip by trip, not one combined timetable.
Compare finding information on Supertram to finding information on Nottingham Express Transit which I would argue is the closest match. There is a huge difference and ease of accessing information will be one of the reasons for Supertram having reducing passenger numbers for the past few years. Even in the 2018/19 fiscal year when the tram train opened, passenger numbers were down 400,000 passengers on 17/18.

ALEMASTER

There is no need to use the journey planner for timetable and fares, the tickets are displayed on the Supertram page (https://www.stagecoachbus.com/supertram/ticket-info) and timetable PDFs are there to download.

Main reason passenger numbers on Supertram are down is part of the network closing most summers for track renewal with many of those lost passengers now going by car or other means.

markymark2000

On Moderation
There is no need to use the journey planner for timetable and fares, the tickets are displayed on the Supertram page (https://www.stagecoachbus.com/supertram/ticket-info) and timetable PDFs are there to download.

Main reason passenger numbers on Supertram are down is part of the network closing most summers for track renewal with many of those lost passengers now going by car or other means.
Tell me where there it says how much it costs for my journey between any two stations. It doesn't. It says the 3 fare bands but how will anyone know which fare band their journey is in? Day and period tickets as well as multi modal are all there but not for people wanting to make an occasional journey.

I'd be interested to know why other networks can cope with part closure of lines for engineering but Supertram can't. Elsewhere can keep customers so clearly there is a Supertram specific issue there. It's been on a gradual decline since 2011 as well so I don't think you can entirely blame the summer closures.

2011/12 - 15.0
2012/13 - 14.4
2013/14 - 12.6
2014/15 - 11.5
2015/16 - 11.6
2016/17 - 12.6
2017/18 - 12.3
2018/19 - 11.9

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Traffic can occur anywhere and while it might not be ideal, you have to weigh out the benefits
Traffic doesn't usually occur on railways or on off-street tramways! From Cathedral to Meadowhall and Parkgate is 100% segregated from other traffic other than a few signaled road crossings (with tram priority) at the Sheffield end. Beyond Cathedral much of the route to Middlewood is in lanes shared with other traffic, often close enough to the kerb for a single illegally parked car to stop any tram from passing. The irregular timetable of the tram-train shows how important it is for it to hit its slots to the minute when it gets to the railway section, otherwise it is delaying or being delayed by trains that are making much longer journeys including single line sections.

Also you don't really want to send the costly tram-train vehicles off on long journeys where their special equipment isn't needed, and I'm not even sure the rails on the Middlewood route have been upgraded to match the wheel profile the tram-trains need to run on Network Rail.

(Before someone shoots my down I should point out that extra tram-trains were ordered which have standard tram wheels and simply increase the service on the tram routes, as this was probably cheaper than ordering a non-standard batch of three or four trams and gave some spares cover for the pilot scheme. They could quickly be adapted for use on the tram-train route if the need arose. Any other tram-train route would be more like the one in Cardiff, much bigger with a correspondingly larger fleet.)

Llandudno

Established Member
Changing trams is easy, doesn't mean people want to do it! Direct journeys are always better than changing. Traffic can occur anywhere and while it might not be ideal, you have to weigh out the benefits.

They are across the road but but it's still extra walking. Especially if you are changing between buses. The proper interchange isn't there.

As for buses to Sheffield, they will have the market share over the tram based on the price difference and the minimal journey time difference. By the time you have got into Rotherham (however you got there), walked to the tram, waited and got into Sheffield, you have saved little-no time compared to just using the bus. With Stagecoachs biggest routes into Rotherham duplicated on the core sections by First, do you pay £4.90 and walk between the bus and train stations or pay the £5 and have an almost seamless interchange.

Supertram is too intigrated in my opinion. It should be on a separate website with only the basic journey planning stuff included on the Stagecoach site. The only way to view any useful information is by setting your location on the website (not useful). To view fares you have to use 'plan your journey', Timetables can only be seen trip by trip, not one combined timetable.
Compare finding information on Supertram to finding information on Nottingham Express Transit which I would argue is the closest match. There is a huge difference and ease of accessing information will be one of the reasons for Supertram having reducing passenger numbers for the past few years. Even in the 2018/19 fiscal year when the tram train opened, passenger numbers were down 400,000 passengers on 17/18.
Totally agree, the frequency, timetable, ticketing and marketing information is not a patch on the Nottingham System, mind you the bus network in Sheffield is not a patch on Nottingham either!

The tram network in Sheffield is quite limited it doesn’t serve SUFC, Moor Market & Leisure Area, Crucible Theatre, Northern General Hospital, Hallamshire Hospital or the vibrant nightlife areas of Ecclesall/London/Abbeydale Roads.
Sheffield attracts very few tourists compared to Liverpool, Manchester and even Nottingham so I don’t suppose that helps either!

In fact Sheffield no longer has a tourist/visitor information centre! It closed down a couple of years ago.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Traffic doesn't usually occur on railways or on off-street tramways! From Cathedral to Meadowhall and Parkgate is 100% segregated from other traffic other than a few signaled road crossings (with tram priority) at the Sheffield end. Beyond Cathedral much of the route to Middlewood is in lanes shared with other traffic, often close enough to the kerb for a single illegally parked car to stop any tram from passing. The irregular timetable of the tram-train shows how important it is for it to hit its slots to the minute when it gets to the railway section, otherwise it is delaying or being delayed by trains that are making much longer journeys including single line sections.

Also you don't really want to send the costly tram-train vehicles off on long journeys where their special equipment isn't needed, and I'm not even sure the rails on the Middlewood route have been upgraded to match the wheel profile the tram-trains need to run on Network Rail.

(Before someone shoots my down I should point out that extra tram-trains were ordered which have standard tram wheels and simply increase the service on the tram routes, as this was probably cheaper than ordering a non-standard batch of three or four trams and gave some spares cover for the pilot scheme. They could quickly be adapted for use on the tram-train route if the need arose. Any other tram-train route would be more like the one in Cardiff, much bigger with a correspondingly larger fleet.)
Granted, traffic isn't normally on the railways but it does happen between Meadowhall and Rotherham and a slight delay then delays the tram network so it works both ways. We don't stop trains coming from Doncaster though do we because that can be a congestion hotspot (of a different kind).
Not sure on the wheel profile thing but it should be extended somewhat to try and get the extra through passengers. It would need an extra set of points but even just to Netherthorpe Road for example (Shalesmoor preferred but the points go the wrong way so it would confuse passengers boarding on the wrong platform) so it serves the Uni. turning back shouldn't be too much of an issue as they do it at Cathedral but the extra distance would help.

Totally agree, the frequency, timetable, ticketing and marketing information is not a patch on the Nottingham System, mind you the bus network in Sheffield is not a patch on Nottingham either!

The tram network in Sheffield is quite limited it doesn’t serve SUFC, Moor Market & Leisure Area, Crucible Theatre, Northern General Hospital, Hallamshire Hospital or the vibrant nightlife areas of Ecclesall/London/Abbeydale Roads.
Sheffield attracts very few tourists compared to Liverpool, Manchester and even Nottingham so I don’t suppose that helps either!

In fact Sheffield no longer has a tourist/visitor information centre! It closed down a couple of years ago.
I suppose the way the trams run is due to decisions made a good few years ago, building new branches isn't easy but I do agree it should be done to serve some of the other big areas.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Granted, traffic isn't normally on the railways but it does happen between Meadowhall and Rotherham and a slight delay then delays the tram network so it works both ways. We don't stop trains coming from Doncaster though do we because that can be a congestion hotspot (of a different kind).
On a tramway the line-of-sight operation means that trams can run only a few seconds apart like road vehicles, so it's much less critical if one is a bit late. On a railway there's a path available every three minutes or whatever, and if missed by more than a few seconds then it impacts on another train.

I've been working on tram-train projects since 1996 and it's pretty much universal that the railways involved won't accept a tram-train unless it has a virtual guarantee of arriving on time.

markymark2000

On Moderation
On a tramway the line-of-sight operation means that trams can run only a few seconds apart like road vehicles, so it's much less critical if one is a bit late. On a railway there's a path available every three minutes or whatever, and if missed by more than a few seconds then it impacts on another train.

I've been working on tram-train projects since 1996 and it's pretty much universal that the railways involved won't accept a tram-train unless it has a virtual guarantee of arriving on time.
I appreciate that but in the same point, the trains delay the trams so they both affect each other. Presumably in part due to the single track between Rotherham and Meadowhall holding things up. They will both always affect each other. I have sat on the tram a few times outside Rotherham Central waiting for trains to pass both ways on/off the line towards Meadowhall.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I appreciate that but in the same point, the trains delay the trams so they both affect each other. Presumably in part due to the single track between Rotherham and Meadowhall holding things up. They will both always affect each other. I have sat on the tram a few times outside Rotherham Central waiting for trains to pass both ways on/off the line towards Meadowhall.
And that would happen far more often if the tram-train came through from Middlewood.

markymark2000

On Moderation
And that would happen far more often if the tram-train came through from Middlewood.
I don't think it would really. The trams seem to run to time when I have used them. A good balance of padding and running time. Also, I have never suggested running to Middlewood. I have suggested Hillsborough and the Uni as potential termini.

I should also note, the trains were late holding up the tram and not vice versa so in general, the tram isn't the issue. It's the trains.

Llandudno

Established Member
[/QUOTE
Perhaps TramTrain transportation is flawed unless the trams can be completely segregated from other road users or have traffic light priority and heavy rail trains are more or less guaranteed to run time...

What is the plan for Cardiff, presumably the tram trains will have on street running and potentially conflict with road traffic but I guess the rail lines will be used exclusively by tram trains and not compete with longer distance passenger and freight trains over common track?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
What is the plan for Cardiff, presumably the tram trains will have on street running and potentially conflict with road traffic but I guess the rail lines will be used exclusively by tram trains and not compete with longer distance passenger and freight trains over common track?
The tram section is very short and has no running with general traffic, although I think it does cross a road or two, presumably on signaled junctions with tram priority. Even though there are no long-distance services, the junctions at Queen Street will need precision timing and traffic delays would hit this hard.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I should also note, the trains were late holding up the tram and not vice versa so in general, the tram isn't the issue. It's the trains.
It is now. It probably wouldn't be if the trams were subject to traffic delays.

Avoiding shared lanes with road traffic is really Rule 1 for tram-train route design. Ignore it at your peril.

Status
Not open for further replies.