• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield/Rotherham Tram-Train update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Jones

204 has also been on Purples and I've seen 203 on driver training. Not seen anything of 201 though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martinr1

This video looks at Rotherham Central Station last Tuesday and the situation there:-

TC60054

To the best of my knowledge, 399202 399205 399206 399207 have all seen service since taking over "official" duties at the beginning of this month, 399201 made several additional in service runs last month. Just 203 and 204 still to enter service.

No 399s have the tram-train profile bogies yet.

EDIT - Scratch that, 399203 has been in service today..!

Last edited:

Harpers Tate

Established Member
...and they still need another YEAR (or thereabouts) to get this up and running.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
...and they still need another YEAR (or thereabouts) to get this up and running.
Imagine how bad it'd be if they'd stuck with the Huddersfield via Barnsley and Penistone idea... a bi-mode tram-train that'd fit through Cumberworth tunnel; all those platforms to lower... it's a scandal that such a proposal even made it onto the drawing-board!

WaveyDavey

One assumes it would have been easier to raise the trackbed up in the stations rather than lower all the platforms.....

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
One assumes it would have been easier to raise the trackbed up in the stations rather than lower all the platforms.....
"Easier", yes... but since when have we ever done things the easy way!

Ah yes, but that wasn't going to be electric (or was it?)
No, they'd have had to drag a diesel engine around Sheffield! If anyone feels the diesel engines on the SET sets is an undesirable weight burden, on a lightweight tram-train they'd be even more so!

_toommm_

Established Member

But by raising up the bed it would create a massive gap in height for standard trains. A lot of the stations on that line, particularly post-Barnsley towards Huddersfield would not have room for an extra tram platform.

The only feasible way would be to have opened the old platforms and redoubling the track at every station and have one platform for trains and one for tram trains

edwin_m

Veteran Member
They could have lowered the bay platform at Huddersfield plus all the platforms as far as (but not including) Barnsley, as only tram-trains would use these platforms. There could have been problems with cables etc within the platform and the service would have had to be suspended for some time, but by re-building with slabs on supports it would have been relatively easy to raise the platforms to the original height if the tram-trains cased to operate. However between Barnsley and Sheffield would have been vastly more difficult because existing trains would still have had to call at most of these stations.

TC60054

399203 scored.

Believe 201 204 haven't worked yet

See my above message regarding the subject. 201 has not been out yet this month and has only done a return run from Cathedral to Meadowhall as an additional service.
204 I'm unsure of - heard talk that it's been out but not seen anything of it myself.

Mordac

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Do let us know when 204 has been spotted!

How do these compare with the older trams, in terms of ride quality, space inside, seat comfort...?

_toommm_

Established Member
Sound-wise they sound so so good Imo. Seats are a little hard bit they keep me upright which is good for my 18 year old (going on 55 year old) back. There's also a little windowsill to rest your arms on, and the new new smell. That's until it reaches Shalesmoor in passenger service.

Might have see 201 earlier but not sure. Was a fleeting glimpse in town and could have easily been 207

WatcherZero

Established Member
From the new timetable Sun Jan 28th Supertram are dropping the frequency of the blue and yellow routes during daytime from every 10 minutes to every 12 minutes due to increasing road congestion, the extra diagram time will be added to recovery times at terminus. Though morning peak service frequency will start slightly earlier because diagrams are being interweaved with Rotherham extension when it opens late 2018.

button_boxer

Established Member
I was on one of the new vehicles this morning (first time I've seen one in service from Hillsborough), is it just me or do the announcements sound a bit odd compared to the old trams (aside from not having the route-specific voices to match)? On stopping at each stop it says "this is the service for <name of the place we just stopped>, this is the blue route service for Halfway" - a useful piece of info but wouldn't it make more sense to say "this is <place where we stopped>" rather than implying that <place we just stopped> is somewhere you can get to if you stay on board.

TC60054

I was on one of the new vehicles this morning (first time I've seen one in service from Hillsborough), is it just me or do the announcements sound a bit odd compared to the old trams (aside from not having the route-specific voices to match)? On stopping at each stop it says "this is the service for <name of the place we just stopped>, this is the blue route service for Halfway" - a useful piece of info but wouldn't it make more sense to say "this is <place where we stopped>" rather than implying that <place we just stopped> is somewhere you can get to if you stay on board.

It is a known fault with the new set of announcements.

Managed to get 399201 yesterday. Only leaves 204 for me when it hopefully enters service

eastwestdivide

Established Member
More engineering work done this Sunday (yesterday) - wiring added to the Parkgate terminus, ballast train with a 60 between there and Roth Central, drainage works near Greasbrough Road bridge.
The wires are now strung up from Parkgate through Rotherham Central as far as the new electrical substation/control room/feed point (?) near Booths scrapyard. Still some wires to add between there and Tinsley I think.

Kite159

Veteran Member
When I click on the link in the quote I get a facebook login page pop up saying "See more of British Tramway News on Facebook", with a photo of two trams passing each other. Where in Britain was this photo taken? Looks like somewhere close to me.

Sandyford Station in Ireland?

TC60054

When I click on the link in the quote I get a facebook login page pop up saying "See more of British Tramway News on Facebook", with a photo of two trams passing each other. Where in Britain was this photo taken? Looks like somewhere close to me.

Not sure of the specifics, other than on the LUAS in Dublin.

Hornet

Sandyford Station in Ireland?

Between Stillorgan and Sandyford, which of course is in Dublin, and unless An Taoiseach and An Tanaiste are keeping quiet about something over here, has not been and has never been part of Britain, (except in the British Isles geographical terms), and Luas has never been part of the British Tramway family. (Must of been the same people C4 news asked to draw the Irish Border).:D

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It would have been part of the UK prior to Irish indpendence, and was at that time the railway from Harcourt Street. The historic Dublin tram network was extensive but never went anywhere near Sandyford.

But what has this got to do with Rotherham?

Status
Not open for further replies.