• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield/Rotherham Tram-Train update

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC60054

This new timetable isn't really helping them. Even on a Sunday morning commuting between University and Sheffield is a shambles!

The Sunday timetable is the same as the old one, give or take a minute either way. I’ve certainly seen a huge improvement on my commute during the week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

syorksdeano

What was the purported incident at Shalesmoor?
Not sure

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/...s?hootPostID=bd4d23160a4d9d664e2d92c2722e789a

Citylink Trams
16 Feb 2018

Due to a problem with one of the new Citylink vehicles near Shalesmoor today (Friday 16th February), and as safety is our top priority, a decision has been made to temporarily withdraw these trams from service while the issue is investigated. We are working with the manufacturer to identify and rectify the problem. As a result, there may be a small number of short term service cancellations which will be publicised on our Twitter page @SCSupertram.

We're sorry for any inconvenience this will cause

WatcherZero

Established Member
Apparently engineering work weekend of 24/25th to connect the overhead between the tram and rail networks.

SuperOwl86

martinr1

This was the situation at Rotherham Central yesterday:-

A Carillion attired worker said they had been retained until mid April to complete the platforms.

johnnychips

Established Member
Parkgate and both Rotherham platforms seem mostly completed. Top surfaces need paving. No sign of labelled access route at Parkgate yet.

Shaun_92

Information Regarding Tinsley Junction
Tram%20train%20enabling%20works%20-overallposter.jpg

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Information Regarding Tinsley Junction
Tram%20train%20enabling%20works%20-overallposter.jpg

For those unable to see this image or using screen readers etc, the principal text says:

Stagecoach Supertram said:
Between Friday 20th April and Monday 23rd April 2018, work is being carried out in the Tinsley area to connect the Supertram and Network Rail overhead power lines in preparation for Tram Train services to Rotherham later this year.

During this time we are also taking the opportunity to carry out track replacement work at Shirland Lane near Attercliffe tram stop. Yellow route trams which normally run to Meadowhall Interchange will terminate at Cricket Inn Road and buses will replace trams with a dedicated service providing a connection from Fitzalan Square tram stop to Meadowhall Interchange following the tram route as near as possible.

On Sunday 22nd April the Purple route will only operate between Herdings Park and Cathedral on a revised timetable. A normal tram timetable will apply to all services on the Blue route and on the Yellow route between Middlewood and Cricket Inn Road.

WatcherZero

Established Member
In late February contract was awarded to Volkerrail for the second half 11.5km of track renewals (15km done 2013-2015) which includes changing to the compatible track profile, they should be beginning this month.

TC60054

In late February contract was awarded to Volkerrail for the second half 11.5km of track renewals (15km done 2013-2015) which includes changing to the compatible track profile, they should be beginning this month.

The first part of the rail replacement is being undertaken at Attercliffe, when the Tinsley Chord is wired up. This is actually a few weeks earlier than planned apparently.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Tram-train electrification to be considered live as from now, according to this notice cable-tied to the fence at the supply point near Booths scrapyard in Rotherham:
Warning 18 April 2018.jpg

TC60054

All overheads in on the chord yesterday ready for normal service to resume tomorrow which means that Supertram is now properly connected to Network Rail. Just a few weeks now before testing begins.

samuel791

Training has already begun. 24 existing tram drivers will be moving across onto the new tram-train rota. Training is a mix of comprehensive classroom and practical knowledge. The line gets handed to us from 8 May.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Training has already begun. 24 existing tram drivers will be moving across onto the new tram-train rota. Training is a mix of comprehensive classroom and practical knowledge. The line gets handed to us from 8 May.
Is there a date for opening to public service yet? Possible forum meet, perhaps?

martinr1

That is very good news but there is still a bit to do on the supporting infrastructure:-

D365

Veteran Member
Mainline testing has begun overnight including recovery procedure testing between 399202 and 66156.

Caught a photo of that in my mailbox yesterday, they've begun with low-speed route testing I believe.

TC60054

Caught a photo of that in my mailbox yesterday, they've begun with low-speed route testing I believe.

202 did a run out in the early hours of Thursday morning as far as Magna, low speed, and then the recovery tests on Friday morning, though i don't believe they've gotten further than that yet.

pdeaves

Established Member
South Yorkshire Supertram Limited now has its passenger operating licence (effective from 6 May). That means they are now officially allowed to carry passengers on the 'main line' portion of the route. Completion creeps closer!

eastwestdivide

Established Member
202 did a run out in the early hours of Thursday morning as far as Magna, low speed, and then the recovery tests on Friday morning, though i don't believe they've gotten further than that yet.
That would be supported by the still-rusty rails on the terminus line at Parkgate that I photographed yesterday (Sun 13/5).

Goldie

50EDE5FD-EB07-4C56-A097-4EA3AE88E612.jpeg Bonus Citylink photo while we’re all waiting for regular route testing to begin.

DimTim

Passing the Tinsley chord Thursday the fencing was erected across the tracks plus sleepers laid over both lines. Doesn’t appear regular use is anticipated soon for testing!

Goldie

Brilliant! Thanks for posting. I probably shouldn't be excited by that. But I am.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Still waiting for "them" to finish the platforms etc. And waiting, and waiting......

Chris125

Established Member
Sorry about that, hopefully these will continue to work - thanks to Sam for taking them:

Status
Not open for further replies.