• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield/Rotherham Tram-Train update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

njamescouk

saw a tram pass on the line at snap time yesterday, plus one last week. also a freight train last week.

eastwestdivide

Established Member

eastwestdivide

Established Member
That's what I thought, the cancellations were in before the lightning struck.
And next week's paths do show two trams required, with the potential to photograph two together at Rotherham Central at 1102:
Passing trams.jpg

samuel791

You may get to see me then lol! The training department have been running all the trips so far, although the 1st phase of driver training commences from Monday after 2 weeks in the classroom. All I know is we start at 0830 and between our pair we get to run 4 trips (8 in total). That will be the case for the next fortnight, then when the next group passes out in 4 weeks time - a 3rd tram should be added, if not sooner.

pdeaves

Established Member
I really hope those things that look like ladders on the left platform, 3:00 mark, are temporary and will be removed before the public is let loose!

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I really hope those things that look like ladders on the left platform, 3:00 mark, are temporary and will be removed before the public is let loose!
As you might have guessed, they're access from the car park area for the contractors finishing the platforms.
I believe the platforms at Rotherham Central and Parkgate are the only bits of infrastructure that still need completing. Neither locations are properly surfaced. Parkgate has tubes/conduits coming out of the ground, possibly to supply a ticket machine/advertising panel, and has no shelters yet. By the look of it, Rotherham also needs some fencing completed on the ramp from the existing platforms to the tram platforms.
Two trams running again today on test/training, e.g.:
Magna a 31jul18.jpg

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Nicely done.
Do they come to a stop on the new chord linking the tram network to the National Rail network? It looked like they were slowing to a stop just as they went out of sight in your video.
Did you go up on the Tinsley viaduct (lower deck)? There's a good view from there, if a bit noisy, and getting from one side to the other is a long way round if you don't want to take your life in your hands.

martinr1

Thank you for your kind remarks. Towards the end the Rotherham bound tram seemed to be awaiting the inbound tram train to clear the single line. I didn't go up onto the viaduct as it was warming up in spite of the wind and I might have run out of puff!!

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Answering my own question, I was at Tinsley earlier today, and all the ones I saw paused on the chord, even if there was no other traffic preventing them from proceeding. I'd imagine they have to switch on/off various safety systems, and possibly "check in/check out" with Network Rail's signalling.
399203 and 399204 seen on Parkgate runs today.
Tinsley chord tram side 2.jpg

pdeaves

Established Member
Answering my own question, I was at Tinsley earlier today, and all the ones I saw paused on the chord, even if there was no other traffic preventing them from proceeding. I'd imagine they have to switch on/off various safety systems, and possibly "check in/check out" with Network Rail's signalling.
View attachment 50341
That's an amazingly sharp curve. Given that the tram route parallels NR, and the extension links onto that same NR route, is there any particular reason why they didn't put in something more akin to a crossover, straighter and further east?

marcouk2

Presumably compromise in negotiating the Tinsley Viaduct, the link road and the Don while keeping the Meadowhall South tram stop on the tram train route.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
That's an amazingly sharp curve. Given that the tram route parallels NR, and the extension links onto that same NR route, is there any particular reason why they didn't put in something more akin to a crossover, straighter and further east?
The reasons given (at an open day on the new chord a couple of years back) were (a) to provide a "buffer zone" between the two systems so that late running on one system didn't impinge on the other*; (b) to provide for a DC/AC changeover point in the event of 25kV electrification on the Network Rail side; with the side-effect of (c) Meadowhall South could still be served by the TTs.
*e.g. a TT heading for Rotherham but waiting for a path onto the single track freight line wouldn't delay a following "ordinary" tram for Meadowhall.

_toommm_

Established Member
View attachment 50341

Also, two trams are not allowed to be on the points at the same time - the driver could perhaps be exercising an extended degree of caution to make sure nothing is coming.

_toommm_

Established Member
Towards the end of the year I believe, as long as there's no problems with the 399s working on the mainline etc.

Skymonster

Established Member
Today 205, 206 and 207 were working regular tram runs to Meadowhall to Middlewood, 203 was inside the depot at Nunery Park, and 201, 202 and 204 were doing unloaded tests on the national network / city route between Rotherham and Cathederal.

gtis

Hi just checked RTT there’s quite a few running tomorrow between Sheffield cathedral and parkgate
Can you see the line and station from parkgate retail park
Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.