Sheffield/Rotherham Tram-Train update

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by bladesman123, 18 Jun 2014.

1. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

I'm surprised the tram conductors don't have the ability for folk to pay with contactless cards (like you can on the West Midlands Trams).

Might make their jobs easier with less cash to carry round (and less of a security risk), especially since some of the Stagecoach buses I saw floating around have "Contactless payments accepted" posters on the bus.

2. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Member

Yes both Stagecoach and First Group have contactless card and Apple Pay facilities on all their buses in Sheffield /South Yorkshire now so strange why the tram doesn't.

3. pdeaves

pdeaves Established Member

4. _toommm_

_toommm_ Member

5. geoffk

geoffk Member

6. skifans

skifans Member

Interesting, is the plan that they won't stop everywhere (Carbrook, Atercliff)? Or is it just simplifying the timetable. Also surprised considering the first services are before 6am the last ones are around 10pm. Personally would also have liked an earlier and later service on Sundays. Hopefully will prove popular anyway.

7. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

Are they still on them old machines? If so that would probably explain it.
    Sam

8. pdeaves

I think it's a simplified timetable. Tram-train services for 25 October onwards are not on RTT yet but up to 24 October they are (test moves, obviously). The schedules imply all calls between Cathedral and Parkgate (and vice versa).

9. Harpers Tate

Harpers Tate Member

All stops by request, I believe, exactly as with other tram services - at least on the tram network. Can't speak for the only other intermediate stop - Rotherham Central. It's rather pointless trying to run "express" anyway - it would only catch up with the one in front - and would confuse passengers.

10. SC43090

SC43090 Member

As it stands the first passenger services are expected to be the following

0939 dep from the Cathedral tram stop

1009 dep from Rotherham Parkgate

SC43090

11. pdeaves

Does anyone know which organisation owns the physical structures that are Parkgate and Rotherham [low level platforms] stations? The railway is NR's but the stations may or may not be! I sent an enquiry to SYPTE but have had no response at all after a week.

12. johnnychips

johnnychips Established Member

Any particular reason why the trams don’t run past the Cathedral? Is it the infrastructure or is it the possibility of delays as there is more on-street running north of there? (And so the chance of missing paths onto NR when you get near Rotherham).

13. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Beyond the cathedral it is pretty much all Street running apart for a short section where the trams go down the middle of a dual carriageway.

14. Skymonster

Skymonster Member

Very odd service pattern with effectively 10, 20 and 30 minutes between successive departures.

15. marcouk2

marcouk2 Member

Has to be worked round the mainline calls at Rotherham Central.

16. IanXC

IanXC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Which of course Rail North have requested investigations into whether they can be more evenly spread through the hour.

17. marcouk2

marcouk2 Member

Just reopen Masborough :D

18. _toommm_

_toommm_ Member

Masborough is a fair distance from the town, and IIRC there aren't many buses there anymore...

19. TC60054

TC60054 Member

Don't forget the timetable has to not only be worked around the uneven spread of NR services at Rotherham, but the 5/6 minute frequency of tram services in Sheffield city centre (especially with the reversal at Cathedral) and the 10/12 minute frequency of the yellow route of which it shares quite a significant portion of line.

There's some "minor" timetable changes to other tram services from Thursday 25th too which have been announced today - no firm details have been released yet though looks to be some minor tweaking to the yellow route timetables, and then relevant tweaks to the blue route, whilst the purple route will no longer run through to Meadowhall on Sundays.

20. button_boxer

button_boxer Established Member

And conversely Cathedral to Tinsley is entirely segregated apart from a few traffic light controlled road crossings.

21. Skymonster

Skymonster Member

One thing I noticed on the Sheffield system was that trams often seem to wait at traffic lights in the city centre - whereas in Nottingham (a city I am much more familiar with) more often than not the lights change as a tram approaches, usually allowing them to proceed without stopping. Is there a difference in the way the networks were designed, or just my imagination that the on street sections in Nottingham seems to work much better for the trams?

22. _toommm_

_toommm_ Member

I believe trams do have priority, and are meant to change the signals sooner, but in practice, especially at Hillsborough corner, this can still take a while.

23. Skymonster

Skymonster Member

Interesting. I particularly noticed it at Castle Square / Fitzalan Square in Sheffield where sometimes the trams seemed to have to wait for ages for the lights to change. Whereas at similarly busy junctions in Notingham such as Royal Centre they usually seem to sail through with barely a pause.

24. button_boxer

button_boxer Established Member

In many places the trams do get priority over general traffic, but in the city centre (and at Fitzalan Square specifically) the crossing traffic is almost all buses or taxis rather than private vehicles, thus they may have deliberately set the priorities more equally there so that one tram route doesn’t screw up a dozen or more bus routes.