Sheffield/Rotherham Tram-Train update

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by bladesman123, 18 Jun 2014.

1. NoOnesFool

NoOnesFool Member

Supertram now have an expanding team of Revenue Protection Officers, so having your ticket checked is almost a dead cert.

2. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

How does that work when you can buy a ticket with no penalty on board anyway?

3. skifans

skifans Member

The conductors usually just ask "any more fares please" and leave it at that (remember who paid?). Whereas the revenue protection people usually ask to see everyone's ticket. Quick sample of 3 journeys today and only saw normal conductors.

4. radamfi

Presumably there can be no sanction other than actually paying the fare they should have paid?

5. skifans

skifans Member

I don't know, I have never seen it happen (although I am not a regular tram user). I assume they catch people who have traveled beyond the destination on their ticket? Or maybe another chance to catch someone with an expired pass if the initial conductor didn't notice?

6. radamfi

In those circumstances, l would expect the passenger to ask for a ticket rather than show an invalid ticket.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2018
  7. davetheguard

davetheguard Member

Surely, if the passenger has had an opportunity to pay the Conductor, but deliberately hasn't done so, then that would be an offence if caught, wouldn't it?

8. radamfi

But you can always say that the conductor missed you. You would then have to go down the route of summoning CCTV or going off the memory of the conductor to prove otherwise. With a conductor there's always been the issue of missing passengers whereas with the pay before boarding systems used elsewhere there is no ambiguity.

9. button_boxer

button_boxer Established Member

The way I’ve always seen it work the conductor will liaise with the RPI and either say something like they’ve done everyone from this row forwards or if that’s not practical follow the RPI down the tram to point out the people who haven’t had a chance to pay yet. Seems pretty reliable though I’ll admit I rarely catch the tram at high peak loadings, and the RPIs on my stretch tend to operate between quieter stops that only get a handful of people getting on or off.

10. sheff1

sheff1 Established Member

Allegedly, a Penalty Fare of £10 can be levied. I have never seen one issued, even to those who have been deliberately ignoring the conductor on multiple occasions.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2018
  11. skifans

skifans Member

The £10 penalty is listed although like sheff1 I have never seen it enforced, never paid too much attention to the rpis when going down but I assumed they liaise with the conductor about who said they do not have a valid ticket.

Attached Files:

12. rg177

rg177 Established Member

I've been living in Sheffield over a year and RPIs seem to be rare beasts.

That said, conductors are keen to collect fares and only once do I recall sitting with fare in hand, looking up at the approaching conductor, smiling, only for him to smile back and walk past :lol:

13. Killingworth

Killingworth Established Member

From BBC News website; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-46784050

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Apr 2019
  14. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Member

It was mentioned a few pages back about Supertram not having contactless payment facilities....... Well a quick update on that is that it was on the local news yesterday that they will be introducing contactless by early summer this year.

15. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

Good to see the implementation is finally happening then, quite strange that you would be able to pay for a ticket using contactless on First & Stagecoach buses but not on the tram!
    Sam

16. D365

D365 Established Member

About time they get round to contactless, they’ve completely missed the boat with it up to now.

I’ve just spotted a Citylink tram-train towing a Supertram unit down West Street, wasn’t close enough to cop a photo unfortunately. Would this be the first time a Citylink has been used as a “tow truck”?

17. SC43090

SC43090 Member

As far as i am aware it would be a First.......

SC 43090

18. D365

D365 Established Member

Now I feel bad for not getting a photo! I assume the emergency coupling mounts are housed under the "bumpers".

The destination boards on the Citylink were blank, but the Supertram was displaying "Tram on Tow".

19. Ben Jones

Ben Jones Member

I believe it was the other way around, 205 failed in Hillsborough yesterday morning so it would have been the other giving it a push.

20. D365

D365 Established Member

How would the Supertram be pushing it in that case, would there be a physical coupling in order to brake 205?

21. SC43090

SC43090 Member

Correct it was 399205 that failed..... The problem couldn't be fixed.... So it mean't that tram 109 ended up pushing the tram train very slowly back to depot.......

To read the full story & see plenty of pictures go to British Trams Online

www.britishtramsonline.co.uk

SC 43090

Last edited: 27 Jan 2019
  22. skifans

skifans Member

Direct link for anyone else who wants to find it: http://www.britishtramsonline.co.uk/news/?p=25735

23. button_boxer

button_boxer Established Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-47879898

Tram-Train service suspended until further notice after fault found on one of the Citylink vehicles.

24. ALEMASTER

ALEMASTER Member

25. TC60054

TC60054 Member

As I understand it, a defect was found with a bogie on one of the tram-trains during a routine inspection last night, and the fleet was grounded whilst they were double checked, and released into service once they were found clear.

A normal service should be in service tomorrow.

26. ALEMASTER

ALEMASTER Member

wasn't the actual bogie, just the cover.

27. TC60054

TC60054 Member

Indeed, that of the trailing bogie. Looks to be more than just the tram train profile vehicles affected as all six Citylinks are missing their trailing bogie coverings.

28. johnnychips

johnnychips Established Member

I was delighted today that the driver had to exit the tram train at the junction at Meadowhall South with a large metal pole and physically change the points towards Rotherham. Meanwhile a man with a toolkit was fiddling in the control box: presumably the two things were related.

Tram trains have now started warning people to get off at Meadowhall South for “shopping or the Interchange. This tram train is continuing to Rotherham and Parkgate” or something very similar.

29. Harpers Tate

Harpers Tate Established Member

I believe every TT I have been on has had such an announcement, which is entirely in line with similar "change here" (etc) announcements used elsewhere on the network.

30. eastwestdivide

eastwestdivide Established Member

That happened on a tram-train I was on - I was told they have to do it once a day, either for training purposes or to make sure the manual operation still works.
    Mine was around 5pm Rotherham-bound I think. Don't know if it's the same service every day. Photo over here