• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield Station Waiting Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Were there any proposals in the EMR franchise to upgrade the waiting rooms at Sheffield Station, currently sat freezing my nuts off, doors permanently open, steel seats, smell of diesel from a 222 idling in platform 9, it’s an awful environment

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
If there's a 222 idling in platform 9 I'd be quite concerned - Sheffield only has 8 platforms! ;)

Iskra

Established Member
Sheffield Tap is the best waiting room.

Other than that establishment and the ticket office, the place is unfit for purpose as a major station.

Trainfan2019

Sheffield waiting rooms have been cold for years. I complained in EMT days but can't remember the outcome.

I've found the waiting room on platform 6/8 Does usually have heating on.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Sheffield waiting rooms have been cold for years. I complained in EMT days but can't remember the outcome.

I've found the waiting room on platform 6/8 Does usually have heating on.
The heating is only of the ‘door curtain’ variety. The Platform 8 side sliding door has tended to stick open for weeks and the Platform 6 side door is usually open because of people walking past the sensor along the platform.
The pigeons are the only winners as the winter wind whips through.

Killingworth

Established Member
Funny thing, or not, all the stations on the Hope Valley line have Friend of groups. Does any city centre station ever form such a thing? They'd be lobbying for better if they were in place. Hope Valley users of Sheffield Platform 2C (the 9th Platform) feel it is particularly unloved, out in the open between the ends of Platforms 2 and 5. At least the track was relaid and the decrepid buffer stops were refurbished over Christmas.

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_135451.jpg
    IMG_20200111_135451.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47

Killingworth

Established Member
Were there any proposals in the EMR franchise to upgrade the waiting rooms at Sheffield Station, currently sat freezing my nuts off, doors permanently open, steel seats, smell of diesel from a 222 idling in platform 9, it’s an awful environment

Sheffield redevelopment and remodelling is on hold pending decisions on HS2, and had been previously for MML electrification. EMR and all the other TOCs must be ..... very frustrated at the delays, not least their inability to be able to gate the operating platforms to prevent revenue from escaping. It may be another 10-20 years yet!

cheese

Sheffield redevelopment and remodelling is on hold pending decisions on HS2, and had been previously for MML electrification. EMR and all the other TOCs must be ..... very frustrated at the delays, not least their inability to be able to gate the operating platforms to prevent revenue from escaping. It may be another 10-20 years yet!

"There will never be ticket gates at Sheffield" (not least because it's effectively a public route between town and the tram stop/Park Hill)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Sheffield did get a new doorway onto platform 1 not long ago, I think. It has also had recently refurbished toilets. Some other cosmetic work has been done here and there by the looks of it. The indoor waiting areas are quite small, but it sounds primarily like fixing a door is the main issue here. A covered walkway connecting the main station and the shelter by platform 2A would improve things.

xotGD

Established Member
Waiting rooms? Luxury! At Leeds they've just ripped out the waiting room on P16.

These South Yorkshire softies don't know they're born!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm sure that some of those solid looking Victorian platform buildings must have the odd fireplace that could be unblocked.

Roose

Good idea. Could burn bits of Pacers.

EDIT: Oh, no. Perhaps not yet in Sheffield. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.