• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield Supertram 'third side of the triangle'

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Anyone who knows a bit about the Sheffield Supertram will know that the city centre triangle has two regularly used sides: the western one by blue and purple line trams, and the northern by yellow line trams. The eastern side is little-used, and PSUL 2012 reports only the following use it southbound (all times ex-Cricket Inn Road, on the Meadowhall (yellow) line):

0520 SSuX, 0522 SO, 0530 SSuX, 0531 SO, 0539 SSuX, 0542 SO, 0559 SSuX, 0600 SuX, 0602 SO, 0659 SSuX, 0713 SSuX, 0719 SSuX, 0721 SuO, 0722 SSuX, 0739 SSuX, 0741 SuO, 0801 SuO, 0850 SO, 0916 SO.

Are any services booked to use it northbound (i.e. from Station to Cricket Inn Road)? PSUL lists nothing, and the timetables seem to indicate not.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WillPS

Established Member
I was discussing this with bb21 and Max on the Inverness trip earlier this year.

All the services which terminate at Sheffield Station use that part of the triangle North-bound, but obviously they are not in passenger service when they do.

The only time I've been on this portion of track was once when a Blue line tram was taken out of service as somebody had vommed somewhere on the outward journey to Halfway. The tram continued straight over and terminated at Hyde Park, where another tram on the adjacent platform picked up its diagram. It was handy for me as I'd done my shopping at Crystal Peaks and at the time lived in the student halls just down from Hyde Park.

tbtc

Veteran Member
IIRC it used to get a fifteen minute service on Sundays (when the trams started, the Sunday service pattern had Herdings Park to Malin Bridge via Cathedral and Halfway directly to Meadowhall - possibly as very little was open in Sheffield City Centre on a Sunday in 1994 - insert your own joke about how things have come full circle with the recent retail slump!).

I think it was the "Orange" line that went this way - when Stagecoach took over the routes on Sundays mirrored the Monday to Saturday routes (albeit at lower frequencies to the MS ones)

WillPS

Established Member
IIRC it used to get a fifteen minute service on Sundays (when the trams started, the Sunday service pattern had Herdings Park to Malin Bridge via Cathedral and Halfway directly to Meadowhall - possibly as very little was open in Sheffield City Centre on a Sunday in 1994 - insert your own joke about how things have come full circle with the recent retail slump!).

I think it was the "Orange" line that went this way - when Stagecoach took over the routes on Sundays mirrored the Monday to Saturday routes (albeit at lower frequencies to the MS ones)

Didn't realise this had happened. Thanks for the info - there's not many photos of the SY Supertram pre-Stagecoach.

Last edited:

bus man

The bit of the delta in question was used on sundays and before that daily but when the services were re gigged when stagecoach took over all services went via city.

Keep an eye on engineering changes as it is sometimes used ill ask around to see if there are any services that use it but arnt in public tt

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
They are also used for diversions when the Purple route is delayed. I did it when a Purple route tram I was on was running 20 minutes late and was told by control to miss city centre. All passengers were tipped out at the station to the Blue route tram behind and it managed to make up all the time lost by the time we got to Meadowhall.

Other than that I don't think anything runs in passenger service over that stretch as things currently stand.

madannie77

The bit of the delta in question was used on sundays and before that daily but when the services were re gigged when stagecoach took over all services went via city.

Keep an eye on engineering changes as it is sometimes used ill ask around to see if there are any services that use it but arnt in public tt

I remember using the direct services via the delta in the early days. Never photographed it in use, unfortunately.

Didn't realise this had happened. Thanks for the info - there's not many photos of the SY Supertram pre-Stagecoach.

There's a few at the start of this collection

Status
Not open for further replies.