Sheffield to Doncaster via Kilnhurst.

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by Mugby, 11 Aug 2018.

1. Mugby

Mugby Established Member

I was on the 12.24 Northern service from Sheffield to Bridlington today and it went via the old Kilnhurst route. On the approach to Mexborough, we had to wait for one clearing the single line going in the opposite direction.

Looking on RTT, it was timed via Kilnhurst so are certain services routed that way now?

It made a nice change, I havn't travelled on that line for many years!

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

Quite a lengthy list of services go that way, according to the superb PSUL * you have:

I suspect particularly the XC and TPE ones are there for route retention purposes. Northern's may be too unless they go that way to avoid some conflict at Swinton?

[* - Passenger Services over Unusual Line, http://www.psul4all.free-online.co.uk/2018.htm]

4. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

There is quite few over the Thrybergh route now. When I wanted that route the only train I could find was the 17:45 Southampton to York service.

5. Mugby

Mugby Established Member

Thank you.

There was a late running XC service behind and I wondered if it was to get out of it's way but it seems to be a slower crossover than the junction at Swinton.

There had been some problems in the Brightside area in the early afternoon with several services losing up to ten minutes between Sheffield and Meadowhall.