• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

sheffield to london (any station) on the cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cundy66

I have a 16-25 railcard. Can travel any time of day so peak or off peak both prices will be appreciated where possible. Don't mind splitting tickets.

I know off peak will cover weekends too. So if I say travelling in the week. (My EMT tickets almost run out so I don't get my discount after them so back to railcard)

I will be looking at least a day or two in london and don't mind the route taken.

If anyone knows of some great ticket prices that would be great to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

Smith368

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

Assuming you are looking for a cheap ride rather than trying out some fancy route, your first port of call is cheap advance tickets - either with East Midlands Trains (on which your railcard would help) or Megatrain (railcard not valid).

Cundy66

Assuming you are looking for a cheap ride rather than trying out some fancy route, your first port of call is cheap advance tickets - either with East Midlands Trains (on which your railcard would help) or Megatrain (railcard not valid).

I don't mind the route taken new scene would be good

emorris

either with East Midlands Trains (on which your railcard would help) or Megatrain (railcard not valid).

In my experience, I have found an EMT advance with a railcard is cheaper than a Megatrain ticket for the same train.

Buy from the East Midlands Trains website and you can get an extra £1 off advances (I think that might be before the railcard discount).

In terms of more flexible tickets, I've looked in the past for splits etc, and haven't found anything great. It seems that as soon as you hit London, the fare zooms up.

If you're happy to go by coach, Megabus may well be considerably cheaper.

button_boxer

Established Member
Cheapest will be advances either direct on EMT only or via Doncaster on EC&connections. If you don't want to be tied to specific trains then the cheapest (but slow) option would probably be an LM&connections super-off-peak return from Burton on Trent to London via Tamworth (£14.50 with railcard), plus a suitable walk-up ticket from Sheffield to Burton.

HowMuch?

The classic fallback position to Burton is the Derbyshire wayfarer. Around a tenner each way, or just one tenner if you're returning the same day.

Sheffield-Derby can be quite cheap, so worth looking at fares from there.

Megaplusbus from Donny (coach to EM Parkway plus train to St P) can be a bargain.

In fact it's always worth checking train fares from Donny (nice trains, and fast).

Last edited:

button_boxer

Established Member
The classic fallback position to Burton is the Derbyshire wayfarer. Around a tenner each way, or just one tenner if you're returning the same day.

Indeed, £10.50 for one day but not railcard discountable. If you're coming back a different day the off-peak return is cheaper if you have a railcard (£15.80) whereas two wayfarers are cheaper if you don't. Both options are valid on any train after 09:00.

Status
Not open for further replies.