• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shenfield after Crossrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

essexjohn

Will the dive under to the Southend branch be retained with the changes made at Shenfield for Crossrail? At present, this runs from the Electric (Local) Down line (platforms 4 and 5) - will it in future be linked to the Main Down Line (platform 3)? (I have searched the internet for an answer but without success) Thanks for any reply.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Will the dive under to the Southend branch be retained with the changes made at Shenfield for Crossrail? At present, this runs from the Electric (Local) Down line (platforms 4 and 5) - will it in future be linked to the Main Down Line (platform 3)? (I have searched the internet for an answer but without success) Thanks for any reply.

Aren't they building a platform 6 there so that the Crossrail trains use both faces of an island platform? That means that SoS trains can then continue to use the diveunder from platform 4.

Last edited:

essexjohn

Aren't they building a platform 6 there so that the Crossrail trains use both faces of an island platform? That means that SoS trains can then continue to use the diveunder from platform 4.
That's a part of my question really. With increased frequency (12 tph in the peaks) will Crossrail use three platforms (4, 5 and new 6) leaving just the other three (3,2 and 1) for Greater Anglia services?

Tio Terry

The short answer is yes. But it gets realigned because the sidings are placed outside of the dive under line.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

I've attached a diagram that was on NR's site a while ago. May or may not be up to date with all the exact changes, but it'll probably show the general idea.

Attachments

• Crossrail GE diagram.pdf
    187.9 KB · Views: 414

As per SWT Passengers very helpful diagram, thanks for that, Plt 4 will be for most SVic bound services. New London End crossover from Down Main to up Electric to access Plt 4. Access to dive under via new track continuing on from 4 to run between Down Main and sidings (with connection to DMain) and round back of buffer stops to join existing Loop just before the bridge at Alexander Lane.

Last edited:

Established Member
The final layout at Shenfield is a bit different to that shown. The main to electric and electric to main crossovers at the London end are simplified for example.

The key changes are to separate the Crossrail operation from the rest of the GE as much as possible, which can't be done with the current layout. Down Southend trains will benefit from a new 50 mph crossover from the down main into platform 4, and then continue via the diveunder. Crossrail trains will use 5 and 6 as much as possible. Occasional use may be needed of platform 4 for Crossrail depending on the final timetable.

Mathematically 12 trains per hour can be turned with two platforms, assuming 3 minutes for platform re-occupation that gives a 7 minute turnround.

Note the freight loop between Chadwell Heath and Goodmayes is not now happening.

essexjohn

Thanks for all the replies, especially the complete line diagram. I thought the dive under was too useful to lose - particularly with the planned increased frequencies on all lines around Shenfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.