• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shenfield- Engineering works diversion today

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamybrian

Established Member
I today caught the 1213 Norwich to Liverpool Street which terminated Colchester. Then caught the 1326 Colchester to Liverpool Street ( started about 10 mins. late and gradually got later- but that is another story).
I have travelled the GE line many, many times but we took the an unusual diversion at Shenfield which I never knew existed...!
On the up line from Chelmsford direction approaching Shenfield we crossed on to the down line and then took the now facing points into what seemed to be a loop around the back of the down carriage sidings and connected on to the down Southend Line. We then ran "wrong" line through the down slow platform before regaining the up slow line at the London end of Shenfield station.
This maybe a fully signalled route but I had never noticed it previously. Certainly one for the "rare track bashers".
Any one further details.? When was the route first become available ? Is this route used often?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Used frequently enough on Sundays if the mains are blocked through platforms 123 at Shenfield, as indeed you discovered. Can't think of any booked passenger trains timed that route in the normal timetable though. You traversed the 'Shenfield Chelmsford loop' which has been there as long as I can remember. It is fully bi-directionally signalled to and from platforms 4 and 5 at Shenfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.