• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shepherds Bush to Haywards Heath around midnight [6/9]

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Hi there.

I am in Shepherds Bush at the Empire at a music festival. Tonight I may wish to catch the 0:28 East Croydon to Hayward's Heath.

What is the best way to get there? I could go to London Bridge but my ticket isn't valid so I'd be using Oyster.

It would be so much easier if there was a train from Clapham Junction that connects with the one from Esdt Croydon as I can easily get to Claphsm Junction but only a later train connects with 1:28, one hour later, f you don't mind hanging around East Croydon station for 40 minutes.

Google suggests bus to Bond Street and tube to Londyn Bridge for train after midnight.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Last Central line train from Shepherds Bush eastbound appears to be 2330.

The last Jubilee line train from Bond Street to London Bridge is 2358, making the 0014 from there (0028 from East Croydon).

As you note, train connections via Clapham Junction only get you aboard the 0128 from East Croydon to Haywards Heath - eg 2355 from Shepherds Bush for the last service out of Victoria (0017 or 0020 at Clapham Junction).

This train can also be reached at 0114 at London Bridge taking the 0010 from Shepherds Bush to Clapham Junction and travelling via Waterloo / Waterloo East.

As you might note, the gap in trains from Clapham Junction to East Croydon between 2339 and 0017 is quite restrictive.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
A couple of possibilities, which may or may not suit your circumstances...

2355 (London Overground) Shepherds Bush -> Clapham Junction (arrive 0009).

0020 (Southern) Clapham Junction -> East Croydon (arrive 0043).

0128 (Thameslink) East Croydon -> Haywards Heath (arrive 0212).

Much shorter journey time if you can catch the 2310 (London Overground) from Shepherd's Bush. Arrive Clapham Junction 2324 and thence change for the 2339 (Southern) from Clapham Junction to Haywards Heath (arrive 0039).

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
One slightly more optimistic option is the 2340 train from Shepherds Bush to Clapham Junction (arrive 2352) for the 2355 train to Selhurst (arrive 0014) and then the 75 bus from Selhurst (depart 0017) to Fairfield Halls (arrive 0024) then walk (run) to East Croydon. This might suggest that a pre-ordered taxi from Selhurst would make the missing link.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks for the help. Looking at the trains I see there is 0:09 from Victoria which gets into East Croydon 2 minutes after the train to Haywards Heath has departed.

One might think they don't want people on the service. Lol.

The festival I'm at ends at 23:30. Still that's 10 minutes earlier than last night. I hasn't expected it to end so late so didn't plan to stay in London.

I might just have to miss half the headliner and go for the Clapham Junction option.

Last night I was going back to Guildford and it wasn't a problem. Tonight I'm not

Veteran Member
One slightly more optimistic option is the 2340 train from Shepherds Bush to Clapham Junction (arrive 2352) for the 2355 train to Selhurst (arrive 0014) and then the 75 bus from Selhurst (depart 0017) to Fairfield Halls (arrive 0024) then walk (run) to East Croydon. This might suggest that a pre-ordered taxi from Selhurst would make the missing link.
3 minutes to cross CLJ is impossibly tight.
2325 Shepherds Bush-CLJ might work - with the chance of making Waterloo East by 2355 - but the last tube at 2330 would be safer.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
3 minutes to cross CLJ is impossibly tight.
Depends on the time of day - I wouldn't rely on it but it isn't out of the question with a clear overbridge or subway.

EDIT: I just successfully made a one minute connection between the 2210 Shepherds Bush to Clapham Junction (arrive 22:21:45) and the 2223 Clapham Junction to East Croydon (depart 22:23:00) thanks to a clear subway and an open door.

I did note my suggestion was optimistic.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I opted for the 23:10. I managed to leave in between The Enid, who was on stage and short songs aren't on their setlist. Lol.

As it turned out the 23:25 arrived into Clapham Junction a minute early and then the service to Brighton departed late.

Still, I wouldn't want to rely on it as I might then not only miss the rest of The Enid, I wouldn't be home early.

They also did a late platform change from platform 15 to 13, which could catch one out if they look for the platform in advance, via the National Rail Enquiries app and not again when they get to the station; being in a hurry

Finally, the train is only 4 carriages long, so I've decided to stand as I'm not keen on sitting next to strangers right now. I imagine most will alight at East Croydon.

At least it has loos on board.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
They also did a late platform change from platform 15 to 13, which could catch one out if they look for the platform in advance, via the National Rail Enquiries app and not again when they get to the station; being in a hurry
In practice, if you come across the footbridge at Clapham Junction with a tight connection it is best to have one eye out to the approaching lines to see whether the train is coming and look up to the departure boards as you reach the platforms. Not so easy to do that in the subway.

davews

3 minutes to change at Clapham junction, I just failed that last Monday.... Arrived platform 4 at 0954, got to platform 15 via the tunnel just in time to see my 0957 to Forest Hill leaving. 4 minutes and would have made it....

infobleep

Veteran Member
In practice, if you come across the footbridge at Clapham Junction with a tight connection it is best to have one eye out to the approaching lines to see whether the train is coming and look up to the departure boards as you reach the platforms. Not so easy to do that in the subway.
I use the subway as it is faster from platform 1 and 2 but I do take your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.