• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shepperton siding work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebastian O

Some photos from the nearly completed old Platform 2, now used as sidings.
Assume stock is going to come into Platform 1 then shunt out onto the up and shunt back down? And vice versa for bringing the stock out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Assume stock is going to come into Platform 1 then shunt out onto the up and shunt back down? And vice versa for bringing the stock out.

I don’t believe Shepperton ever had 2 usable platforms as like Chessington South it was built as a through station - it has always been a siding/loading dock although prior to the current works was out of use for many years

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I don’t believe Shepperton ever had 2 usable platforms as like Chessington South it was built as a through station - it has always been a siding/loading dock although prior to the current works was out of use for many years

I don't believe the "other" platform at Chessington South has ever been used in passenger service either.

Meglos

The 'other' platform at Chessington South is not even connected to the station building which is behind platform 1. As far as I'm aware it's always been that way. Over the years there have been a couple of rail tours onto 'platform 2', but it's impossible to leave the station even if you disembarked.

The only way Platform 2 is likely to come into use, is if CR2 goes ever ahead, and the service is upgraded to 4ph from the current 2ph. This would then likely involve a major rebuild of the station.

Admittedly there were occasions when the Worcester Park-Epson line was blocked that the Epson trains have been diverted onto the Chessington branch with all trains using platform 1, but any delay on the arriving service, which then affected the timing of the departing train, caused the service to start to falling apart, sometimes with a train backed up at Chessington North .

bramling

Veteran Member

Is this additional stabling provision for the new trains?

DorkingMain

Friend has sent me a couple of photos. It appears to be 3rd rail electrified but the platform itself is only a couple of coaches long, so will only really function as a "hop-up". I'm guessing it's intended as somewhere to send trains during disruption to get them out of the way more than anything.

Is this additional stabling provision for the new trains?
From what I've heard, the new Feltham depot will mean trains are no longer stabled at Strawberry Hill, so I doubt they would then stable them down there, especially with the vandalism issues down there.

Last edited:

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Friend has sent me a couple of photos. It appears to be 3rd rail electrified but the platform itself is only a couple of coaches long, so will only really function as a "hop-up". I'm guessing it's intended as somewhere to send trains during disruption to get them out of the way more than anything.

From what I've heard, the new Feltham depot will mean trains are no longer stabled at Strawberry Hill, so I doubt they would then stable them down there, especially with the vandalism issues down there.

Trains will still stable at Strawberry Hill, however like at Staines there will be less trains overnight as 10 car trains don’t fit into the 8 car sidings (both Staines and Strawberry Hill have a mix of 8 and 10 car roads). The surplus 10 cars that don’t fit will go to the Feltham depot.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
[…]

I understood, and it’s always been clear from the track access applications, that the addition of Feltham did not result in any closures. Modifications to both Staines sidings and Strawberry Hill depot were done at an early stage of an overall SW network wide plan to increase stabling.

This was all covered in the Southwestern stabling and depot alterations thread a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.