• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shepperton to Finsbury Park fare query

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning, All being well, I hope to travel from Shepperton to Finsbury Park and return the same day on 26 May, I have a senior railcard. Ideally I want to avoid the Underground and was thinking of travelling from Shepperton to Waterloo on SWR, then go across to London Bridge on SER and go on the newish through trains by Thameslink from London Bridge to Finsbury Park. The firts train I can use my senior discount is the 09.11 of Shepperton.

When I go on to SWR and SER websites, they both route me via Vauxhall using Victoria line to Highbury & connect there on GN or Thameslink to Finsbury Park, which seems a bit odd, the fare is about £ 8.80. When I put going via London Bridge, it does route me that way, but only seems to offer a travel card fare of just over £12.00.

Thames link site would not give me a routing at all and Cross Country routed me via Vauxhall and St. Pancras again at £ 8.80

So would the way I want to have have to be at the higher Travel card fare.

Thanks Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Fares to Finsbury Park are seen as being underground fares generally. You could try a destination of Hornsey instead. Also, try routeing via City Thameslink rather than London Bridge, as this forces the use of Thameslink.

Mike99

Split ticketing (I used it because it offers more than 1 via point), gives a Cheap Day Return (CDR) from Shepperton to Finsbury Park priced at £8.80. I put in via points of Waterloo East and City Thameslink

Haywain

Veteran Member
perhaps more generally they need an "avoid Underground" option?
For many journeys that would either cause very roundabout routes and slow journey times or no results at all, so probably not the ideal solution.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Of course, an easier way to get there could be to change at Wimbledon and then Blackfriars or somewhere else in the core

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
When I put going via London Bridge, it does route me that way, but only seems to offer a travel card fare of just over £12.00.
It's not the shortest route so you're relying on tracing mapped routes, and I suspect some journey planners may have trouble with the fact that you're tracing a mapped route to London and from London whilst the "inside London" bit is quite complicated: Vauxhall - Waterloo - WALK - Waterloo East - London Bridge (change) - St Pancras via Farringdon (which isn't in London routeing group). It is permitted, as the Thameslink core is valid for a cross-London journey, but it's remarkably complicated for a computer program to keep track of.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

I just tried the City Thameslink option as advised above and yes, it works and gave me a fare of £ 8.80. So I shall use that, then as I have to get a return bus journey onwards from Finsbury Park, I can a contactless card to pay on board, (I think now the single fare on the bus is now £ 1.55 each way), so that will all come to £ 11.90 whereas the travelcard fare from Shepperton is £ 12.85
Interestingly, using the City Thameslink option, the system offers a routing as also mentioned above, out bound changing at Wimbledon and Blackfriars and on the return, getting off at Blackfriars, go to Waterloo, which is only a 10 minutes walk, then getting the train to Shepperton from there.
Thank you for your help and advise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.