• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheppey - Southend ferry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
Sounds like fun

A new ferry service from Sheppey to Southend is being launched next month – and it could lead the way to more summer sailings.
It is the brainchild of Dave Wilcock, who is determined to bring water cruises back to the Island.
The first sailing – which is already sold out - will leave the Queenborough all-tidal landing on August Bank Holiday Monday at 8.30am.

Jetstream Tours' catamaran Jacob Marley which will be ferrying passengers from Sheppey to Southend in August.

More than 1,200 supporters have joined Dave’s Island Cruises Facebook page in the two months since he opened it in May.
He said: “I can’t believe the reaction I have had. So many people say they would love to take a boat trip to Southend, round the wreck of the Richard Montgomery or visit the Red Sand Forts.
“Many Southend people want to come to visit the Island, too. Jenny Hurkett of the Blue Town Heritage Centre is preparing to provide a round-the-island tour for visitors.”

Dave Wilcock

The Island was once home to a twice-daily Olau Line ferry service to Holland from Sheerness Docks. Before that the Duchess M sailed from Sheerness to Southend between1997 to 2002 and in the sixties the Anzio I ran a similar service during the summer.
Dave has teamed up with Richard Bain of Medway firm Jetstream Tours to run the first trips to Southend using the seagoing Jacob Marley catamaran.
Dave said: “It is fantastic Richard has jumped on board. If it is successful we want to run many more

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/sheerness/news/all-aboard-new-ferry-128665/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm sure that I would not like to get too close to the wreck of the "Richard Montgomery"!!! For those who do not know she was/is a World War 2 liberty ship, which sank off Sheerness, which was packed full of explosives, which are still thought to be dangerous!
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

When I lived in Sittingbourne (1971 to 1974) that story was doing the rounds, even to the extent that some 'expert' said it was odds-on that it would explode in the next 25 years! Let sleeping ships lie!

Clip

Established Member
I'm sure that I would not like to get too close to the wreck of the "Richard Montgomery"!!! For those who do not know she was/is a World War 2 liberty ship, which sank off Sheerness, which was packed full of explosives, which are still thought to be dangerous!

And is well marked for people to steer clear of and people still get close to it.

I went on that ferry overnight to Holland that used to run - was a great little trip for a 10 year old.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
And is well marked for people to steer clear of and people still get close to it.

I went on that ferry overnight to Holland that used to run - was a great little trip for a 10 year old.

It was the cheapest way to get to the European mainland, with or without car. I never actually used it, as my journeys in those days were to Paris, or further west in France.

Clip

Established Member
Ahh ok - was a great over night sailing.

Went to the Efteling theme park for the day and then came home on that nights sailing :)

Mikey C

Established Member

I started an interrail holiday like that once, the railway station in Vlissingen is right by the port

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Theres no actual daily service as such yet by the looks of it, just sort of mini cruises? Just thought if it was a daily ferry shuttle with frequent times it would be handy for bashing C2C stuff then hop on the ferry to do some Southeastern stuff

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Theres no actual daily service as such yet by the looks of it, just sort of mini cruises? Just thought if it was a daily ferry shuttle with frequent times it would be handy for bashing C2C stuff then hop on the ferry to do some Southeastern stuff

It's chicken and egg - there are currently no commuters living at one end and going to the other for work for whom this would become a valuable service, and precious few would take a job hoping and praying that the service would be viable enough to continue, so there's a stalemate. I just can't see this as being more than an (admittedly unusual) tourist day trip.

Wirewiper

Just a thought - would a Southend - Medway Towns hovercraft service (like the Southsea-Ryde one) be worth considering?

PeterC

Established Member
Just a thought - would a Southend - Medway Towns hovercraft service (like the Southsea-Ryde one) be worth considering?
At low water you would need to travel 1.34 miles to the end of Southend Pier to catch a ferry so a hovercraft would make more sense. Actually with my waterproof crayon box I did once think about a fast link from Canvey to Southend.

As much as I like the idea I don't think it makes sense economically.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

I tried it once, drew up a fully costed suggestion running from next door to the now demolished stub pier on the Eastern Esplanade to the slipway at Queenborough ( there were serious logistical problems with Sheerness itself ) using Griffon 4000s on a foot passenger only basis, so similar to what Hovertravel do in the Solent. Southend Council was very interested and there were no practical objections from the Kentish end either.

Then Southend Council had the bright idea that since it was such a good idea they should run a bidding competition; other lots expressed an interest and submitted schemes. We all had to present them to Southend Council; mine came second and the winners simply vanished into thin air so nothing ever happened.

Still got all the paperwork somewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.