• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shildon Gala 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
The NRM’s Shildon gala is next week but so far I can’t find any info on the attractions or any visiting locos. Does anyone know if anything has been confirmed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

harz99

Unfortunately in the last couple of years changes in ownership/management at Locomotion have seen a distinct move away from anything remotely like a proper steam gala, the whole emphasis of the place has shifted towards being an educational establishment. A prime example has been no operational steam loco this year except for Flying Scotsman's recent visit, with just the loco itself on brake van shuttles and an 08 shunter top n tailing.

Edders23

Well that is the NRM's policy is it not to keep Flying Moneypit running and stuff and mount everything else

Bevan Price

Established Member
Well that is the NRM's policy is it not to keep Flying Moneypit running and stuff and mount everything else
I think that - like many other museums, NRM is being starved of funds from our tory government....

alexl92

Established Member
Turns out it was just the replica rocket and a GNRf 66. Glad I didn’t go to be honest.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Unfortunately in the last couple of years changes in ownership/management at Locomotion have seen a distinct move away from anything remotely like a proper steam gala, the whole emphasis of the place has shifted towards being an educational establishment. A prime example has been no operational steam loco this year except for Flying Scotsman's recent visit, with just the loco itself on brake van shuttles and an 08 shunter top n tailing.

aka appeal to a wider audience than enthusiasts.

sigh. Tiresome.

... and 43002 'Sir Kenneth Grange'.

you mean the gala was used to display, for the first time and not in York, the latest addition to the national collection? How very dare they!

Edders23

Sorry to go off topic, but are they planning on returning 43002 back to it's original condition with a Paxman engine and such? I think that it looks far better in that livery with the modern headlights but lots of people do disagree...

I very much doubt it all diesels are unfortunately to be stuffed and mounted although I suppose if the 125 group can find the funds they might keep it running on behalf of the NRM

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Sorry to go off topic, but are they planning on returning 43002 back to it's original condition with a Paxman engine and such? I think that it looks far better in that livery with the modern headlights but lots of people do disagree...

No: I doubt they will change the condition of the unit

Last edited:

alexl92

Established Member

From the 125 Group's website FAQs at https://www.125group.org.uk/faqs/
Are you going to preserve one of each engine type?
Every additional engine type means more spares and more time in supporting it, so in line with our objectives our plan in the long-term is to standardise on the Paxman Valenta engine and Marston cooler group. Besides, we’re not sure we’d be able to find a Mirrlees MB190.

Are you going to put original headlights back on a preserved set?
No. There are far bigger things for us to work on than modifying headlights – changing the engine and cooler group back will be a big enough task.

alexl92

Established Member
Not sure what the FAQs on the 125 Group's website have to do with a power car which doesn't belong to them?
Excellent point. For some reason I thought I'd seen someone suggest that the 125 group might take stewardship further up this thread. I'm clearly getting old and confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.