• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shinkansen - odawara to kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew

Established Member
Hello Gents.

I have friend who needs to travel between odawara and kyoto on the 20th of June. Hes wondering what the cheapest tickets could be, if tickets are booked in advance and any useful info on rolling stock such as the best seats. Any other information you think he may find useful would be good too :)

Ant

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Squaddie

According to Hyperdia, the one-way fare will generally range from around 11,000 yen to almost 15,000 yen (£90 to £120), depending on the exact combination of trains used.

You could do the journey for 6,830 yen (£55) if you avoided Shinkansen, but it would take 7 hours and involve 6 changes of train. (See journey options here).

The fare would be the same whether purchased in advance or on the day.

cle

Established Member
Did this last month.

There is a hikari every hour which stops at Odawara - which is a faster shinakansen. Would take about 2 hours. Expensive though.

Best value is a rail pass, only available outside Japan beforehand.

The direct route would be a pain - it'd be like going from Watford to Glasgow only using local trains. They don't make it too easy on this stretch to avoid the bullet!

stut

Established Member
IIRC, there are pre-purchase discount tickets available on the slower Kodama service, through JR Tours, but I can't for the life of me remember how to buy them.

upnorth71

IIRC, there are pre-purchase discount tickets available on the slower Kodama service, through JR Tours, but I can't for the life of me remember how to buy them.

That would be the "plat Kodama" package, sold through the JR Tokai travel agency (not the station ticket window). Problem is, no deals are offered with an Odawara departure, you'd have to take a regular train to Shin-Yokohama to board the shinkansen, which would be too much of a bother and offer little savings anyway.

Yew, the best deal would be (as others have mentioned) to get the rail pass for non-residents, and use it for a round trip, it may pay for itself that way, of course this is only if your friend is a visiting tourist. If he/she is a resident, better to get a ticket from one of the resellers (kinken shop) which are located in any big city (there are three in the Odawara Station area, see here:http://o-dekake.net/kinken/kanagawa/st-odawara.html). As far as good seats, basically any window seat is good, they are all positioned so you always have a window (no walls to stare at). Rolling stock is either 700 or N700 series, the 300 series were retired in March.

Squaddie

The direct route would be a pain - it'd be like going from Watford to Glasgow only using local trains. They don't make it too easy on this stretch to avoid the bullet!
I disagree - they make it very easy to avoid the bullet trains! The connections are very good along the entire route, with short connection times, and the trains themselves not too bad at all. This is real choice, with a range of fares depending upon the speed with which you want to get to your destination rather than the time at which you buy the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.