• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shopping Trolleys & 3rd Rail = happy excited idiots. Current punishment suiting the crime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anme

Established Member
Part of the 'no shame, no blame' culture - if you point out that somebody is misbehaving or in the wrong then you're the bully.

Who exactly is going to call you a bully for pointing out that somebody is misbehaving?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anme

Established Member
Well into Mr Angry mode now, derailing a train? why wern't these bar stewards given a life sentence ???? And if they are going to put shopping trolleys on the juice rail they should keep hold of them as they do it ! Yes i know this wont go down well with the PC brigade, but WT* is this country coming to???

Who is this PC brigade? Please be specific.

Last edited:

anme

Established Member
Even if there are extra patrols, you've always got the 'Human Rights' lawyers who will always seek to have these 'poor and misunderstood' kids let off with a caution.

Please give an actual example where this happened.

Modron

10 years is hardly life, and there is the time off for good behaviour/release under licence/tag. I don't care what issues these people have, we need to be less understanding of the criminals and more understanding of normal people who don't go out of their way to be an idiot/threat to others safety.

The thing that I find strange is that when people suggest that serious crimes be treated with serious sentences, it is those who make 'omg you're an idiot for daring to suggest sterner sentences' posts that are actually the saltiest. The Police can put somebody who 'misgenders' a person in a jail cell quite easily, yet not roguish idiots who threaten the safety of others...

Last edited by a moderator:

anme

Established Member
Even if there are extra patrols, you've always got the 'Human Rights' lawyers who will always seek to have these 'poor and misunderstood' kids let off with a caution.

This is the post I asked you to justify.

https://news.sky.com/story/knife-cr...y-inconsistent-and-lenient-sentences-11585248

The solicitors know that their client/s would avoid a sterner sentence, but also I believe that sentencing guidelines need to be changed.

Perhaps even bringing back the Borstals?

The story you link to does not mention "human rights" lawyers or even solicitors at all. Please provide evidence to back up your claim that "you've always got the 'Human Rights' lawyers who will always seek to have these 'poor and misunderstood' kids let off with a caution". Otherwise, withdraw the claim.

anme

Established Member
The Police can put somebody who 'misgenders' a person in a jail cell quite easily, yet not roguish idiots who threaten the safety of others...

Please explain what "misgendering" is and provide evidence for the rest of your statement.

Modron

1) Misgendering means to refer to (someone, especially a transgender person) using a word, especially a pronoun or form of address, that does not correctly reflect the gender with which they identify.

2) Certainly, a lady from Hitchin was recently arrested and held in custody after misgendering a person named Stephanie Hayden (a Trans activist who had previously called the police on Graham Lineham).

Further to your above post, no I will not withdraw nor be told what to do by you. I made a post in good faith.

anme

Established Member
1) Misgendering means to refer to (someone, especially a transgender person) using a word, especially a pronoun or form of address, that does not correctly reflect the gender with which they identify.

2) Certainly, a lady from Hitchin was recently arrested and held in custody after misgendering a person named Stephanie Hayden (a Trans activist who had previously called the police on Graham Lineham).

Further to your above post, no I will not withdraw nor be told what to do by you. I made a post in good faith.

It's reasonable to ask you to provide evidence to support claims you make on this forum, especially claims that seem rather far fetched. It's also reasonable to suggest that you retract a claim if it appears to be mistaken. So please could you provide something to back up your claim that "you've always got the 'Human Rights' lawyers who will always seek to have these 'poor and misunderstood' kids let off with a caution."?

Regarding the "misgendering" story - if it's as reported it does seem to be an inappropriate arrest. However, the story is disputed and the only "mainstream" UK news outlet to run it is the Daily Mail, so let's not get overexcited just yet. Back on topic, do you have any evidence that the police are reluctant to arrest people suspected of endangering the railway?

Antman

Established Member
10 years is hardly life, and there is the time off for good behaviour/release under licence/tag. I don't care what issues these people have, we need to be less understanding of the criminals and more understanding of normal people who don't go out of their way to be an idiot/threat to others safety.

The thing that I find strange is that when people suggest that serious crimes be treated with serious sentences, it is those who make 'omg you're an idiot for daring to suggest sterner sentences' posts that are actually the saltiest. The Police can put somebody who 'misgenders' a person in a jail cell quite easily, yet not roguish idiots who threaten the safety of others...

It's a matter of being realistic and the police don't put anybody in jail, courts decide that.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

You are it seems, in all seriousness, suggesting 10 years imprisonment for chucking a shopping trolley onto a railway line. That is simply disproportionate and cheapens victims of serious crime.

Modron

It's a matter of being realistic and the police don't put anybody in jail, courts decide that.

As I've already said, sentences also need to be toughened up - but that seems to upset a few people.

I am not going to say things to be hip/popular/fit in with the cool kids on here - I believe that the law needs to come down harder on people who commit these crimes and there should be the ways and means by which punishments are toughened up.

Not only do the perpetrators cause inconvenience to passengers, they also put lives (even their own) at risk. If they knew that their actions would result in a long time behind bars with no privileges they might think twice. Nobody wants this kind of behaviour.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
To clarify, you are not permitted to resort to name-calling or rudeness. You must respect other people's views - this is not an optional requirement - even if you do not agree with them, in which case you need to challenge the views, not attack another forum member. If you cannot control your temper, walk away. You cannot persuade everyone in the world to agree with you no matter how correct you think you are.

In view of the controversial nature of such topics, the thread has simply been tidied up on this occasion. Please remember you are all sensible adults, and this is not a playground. Thank you.

6Gman

Established Member

I'd be interested to see any examples of this.

Not least because the Police have no powers to put anyone in a jail cell.

6Gman

Established Member

It may be worth pointing out that the case to which you refer is the subject of a police investigation and therefore probably sub judice. I will therefore make no further comment, other than to point out that there are serious allegations of harassment over a sustained period of time which seems a perfectly reasonable thing for the police to investigate.

Modron

If you are interested, Google the name 'Kate Scottow'.

Better still, look at the Twitter handle for one Stephanie Hayden for February 9th 2019 (flyinglawyer73), if you do not wish to read the Daily Mail story - The Daily Telegraph also covered the story, by means of balance.

In Stephanie's own words there was an injunction on this story, whereby Kate Scottow was forcibly separated from her young, autistic child and put into a police cell (effectively jailing, if only temporary) for misgendering Stephanie Hayden.

We can split hairs all day long about the definition of jailing - call it detaining if you will or whatever, the point being that the police will come down hard on some people for some things (and yes, I am aware that the homosexual community does get unwarranted and unsolicited abuse) but surely they need the power to come down harder on those people mentioned in the thread.

If the police put these kids in cells, they might get the short sharp shock that they need is the TLDR to this.

Modron

It may be worth pointing out that the case to which you refer is the subject of a police investigation and therefore probably sub judice. I will therefore make no further comment, other than to point out that there are serious allegations of harassment over a sustained period of time which seems a perfectly reasonable thing for the police to investigate.

No problem, and if the moderators wish me to remove names and edit what I have just put then I'm happy to do so (the story is in the public realm though).

ComUtoR

Established Member
If the police put these kids in cells, they might get the short sharp shock that they need is the TLDR to this.

How many treat it as a badge of honor ? Sticking people behind bars or spending a night in the cells is not always the answer.

Modron

Lovely. How one does it is the big thing though.

Trying not to write a psychology essay...

The main thing is to get people to accept that this sort of behaviour is completely wrong and that there will be stern punishments if you do it.

Years ago, people could say a certain word beginning with N and nobody made a fuss about it. Today, if you say that word you are in a heck of a lot of trouble - you will lose your friends, possibly even your job and then your home (if you rent) and it will be all your fault.

Getting people to think similarly about this sort of behaviour will take time, but there are a lot of 'influencers' in society who could help - much as I am not a celeb fan, Ed Sheerhan and the like are looked up to and respected by younger people. Were Ed (for example) to take part in a Social Media campaign to tell people who admire and respect him not to misbehave around railway lines then they might think 'well if Ed says it's uncool...'

Psychologically, you have to convince people that you are correct and that their behaviour is wrong.

ComUtoR

Established Member

This is quite disingenuous and misleading. She was not arrested and detained for 'misgendering' Even Ms Hayden states so.

Ms Hayden said:
...she was arrested for malicious communications and harassment....
...You are not aware of the facts of the case. Harassment in the UK is a crime and this was not to do with misgendering per se....

ComUtoR

Established Member
Years ago, people could say a certain word beginning with N and nobody made a fuss about it.

I think you find that many people 'made a fuss about it' You know, the ones on the receiving end. It is because many people did make a fuss about it that the slur is not in common parlance. It wasn't acceptable then, neither is it now.

Modron

The point I am trying to make is that the police took notice of that crime, yet it would seem that the miscreants responsible for the shopping trolley incident are still at large.

I know that the police in this country are over-stretched but surely you deal with vandalism and potential risk to human safety before you deal with somebody who has 'misgendered' or 'offended' you. There is such a thing as the block button or 'Disable My Account' feature, so you don't have to see what a person writes if you don't want to.

Modron

I think you find that many people 'made a fuss about it' You know, the ones on the receiving end. It is because many people did make a fuss about it that the slur is not in common parlance. It wasn't acceptable then, neither is it now.

Once it was deemed unacceptable, then they did so (and quite rightly), but sadly it is still used by some.

That word was used in the 1950s in a brown dye (not that I remember it, but it was the colour of dye that my Aunt had for her school uniform) - obviously it does not excuse its use as an insult.

Status
Not open for further replies.