• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shops & other venues that still insist on masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 fan

I was going to visit this shop/Museum,

however thier mask policy puts me off.

'With COVID-19 restrictions in place, you MUST wear a face mask. If you're not willing to wear a mask, please do not book. The Who Shop hold the right to refuse entry, as we are trying to protect our customers and staff.'

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Given they claim Covid-19 restrictions are in place, this sounds out of date.

Nevertheless, the tone is absolutely unacceptable as it appears to suggest they don't honour exemptions (I am sure in practice they would) and the idea that it is to "protect" people is absurd.

Places like that should be avoided.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Any rules enforcing masks in a shop I will confidently just ignore at this stage. How absolutely ridiculous. If Karen behind the desk wishes to come down from the till and confront me, let her embarrass herself. I'll politely decline and leave quietly if she wishes.

bramling

Veteran Member
I was going to visit this shop! Museum,

'With COVID-19 restrictions in place, you MUST wear a face mask. If you're not willing to wear a mask, please do not book. The Who Shop hold the right to refuse entry, as we are trying to protect our customers and staff.'

I haven’t had any issues in shops for some while. There’s plenty of “no mask no entry no exemptions” type signs still to be found, but no one seems interested now (why on earth such signage is still around is another matter, another case of the can’t quite let go mentality).

The big one round here is GP surgeries. They are all absolutely wedded to masks. Fortunately I’ve not needed to use one (not that being able to use one is that easy in itself!), but based on what others have said I fully expect a scene. A friend went in without a mask, when he signed in at reception got handed a mask without even so much as a word of politeness, sat down and was then shouted at. Another example of our amazing NHS…

greyman42

Established Member
The big one round here is GP surgeries. They are all absolutely wedded to masks. Fortunately I’ve not needed to use one (not that being able to use one is that easy in itself!), but based on what others have said I fully expect a scene. A friend went in without a mask, when he signed in at reception got handed a mask without even so much as a word of politeness, sat down and was then shouted at. Another example of our amazing NHS…
Well you just shout back even louder.

Deltic1961

My local chemist has a sign saying no mask no entry but I never carry a mask and went in. Nobody said anything although the staff were still wearing masks.

I have also noticed Aberdeen City Council HQ have similar signs up and staff still appear to be forced to wear them. I would hate to work for a company or organisation that enforced a policy that wasn't legally required.

bramling

Veteran Member
Well you just shout back even louder.

Trouble is it isn’t great making a scene in a GP surgery, especially as round here it’s a fair bet that everyone else will be acquiescing, or in many cases probably liking the whole thing.

I’d be tempted to remind them of their purpose, and in particular how undiagnosed cancers and the like are now a serious issue thanks to GP surgeries closing the shutters over two years.

Snow1964

Established Member
My local Day Lewis plc pharmacy last week were still insisting on a mask, and shout at people to wait outside if there is more than 3 inside. (So still got both mask policy and a number of customers policy)

The staff claim it is a NHS premises (since when did the NHS stick big sign up saying Day Lewis Pharmacy on the wall and sell items over the counter), the entrance is from the car park at Bradford-on-Avon station.

If it was within a hospital building I could understand that hospital rules apply, but not one on a rail station premises.

nedchester

Established Member
Had a dental check up earlier this week and they insisted on masks in the waiting room but not when you are in close proximity to the dentist (obviously) when bit from inside your mouth are flying around the room! Very odd.

102 fan

My local Day Lewis plc pharmacy last week were still insisting on a mask, and shout at people to wait outside if there is more than 3 inside. (So still got both mask policy and a number of customers policy)

The staff claim it is a NHS premises (since when did the NHS stick big sign up saying Day Lewis Pharmacy on the wall and sell items over the counter), the entrance is from the car park at Bradford-on-Avon station.

If it was within a hospital building I could understand that hospital rules apply, but not one on a rail station premises.

I've made myself popular in hospitals and GP's surgeries by replying to such overreaction by saying

'Don't you have faith in the vaccine you were paid to give us then?'

bramling

Veteran Member
Had a dental check up earlier this week and they insisted on masks in the waiting room but not when you are in close proximity to the dentist (obviously) when bit from inside your mouth are flying around the room! Very odd.

My dentist still has “masks must be worn, ring doorbell to be let in, don’t arrive more than 5 mins before your time” stuff, however they don’t seem to be bothered - indeed the receptionist wasn’t wearing a mask, and moved herself to talk to me beyond the end of the Perspex screen. We had quite a pleasant conversation about holiday plans, and she remarked “we just need to take a deep breath and act normal now”. The difference between dentists and GPs is very conspicuous indeed.

I’ve said this many times, however the lack of GP access is one of the biggest scandals of this whole thing. It isn’t just the lack of face-to-face consultation, but also the way that telephone consultations are hard to get, and when they do happen they can’t get you off the phone quickly enough. Where’s my blue heart?!

greyman42

Established Member
Trouble is it isn’t great making a scene in a GP surgery, especially as round here it’s a fair bet that everyone else will be acquiescing, or in many cases probably liking the whole thing.
It is the receptionist who is making the scene by shouting at patients.

greyman42

Established Member
Just claim an exemption.

bramling

Veteran Member
It is the receptionist who is making the scene by shouting at patients.

It’s long been a thing that part of the JD for being a GP receptionist is to have been a rottweiler in a previous life! Completely agree though.

All the various worship and pot banging has allowed the NHS to evade scrutiny over the last two years.

nedchester

Established Member
Just claim an exemption.
I’m not so anti-mask as to create a scene and the dentist was very helpful pre Covid in giving my son a placement work experience there prior to him going to uni to do dentistry!

bramling

Veteran Member
Just claim an exemption.

My GP apparently doesn’t recognise this, the signage very clearly states “no exemptions here”. To what extent that would stand up seems to be a grey area, I seem to remember this cropped up here before and the consensus is if push came to shove they’d have to find a way to accommodate.

greyman42

Established Member
I’m not so anti-mask as to create a scene and the dentist was very helpful pre Covid in giving my son a placement work experience there prior to him going to uni to do dentistry!
Claiming an exemption is hardly creating a scene. How much longer do these businesses plan to carry on with pointless mask wearing?

nedchester

Established Member
Claiming an exemption is hardly creating a scene. How much longer do these businesses plan to carry on with pointless mask wearing?
I’d agree with your last bit and I’m not there again (unless I have a dental emergency) until October so I’ll let you know then!

102 fan

Yes and it probably hasn't been updated,just like many places still have signs up. Doesn't necessarily mean masks are still required.

How difficult is it to edit an Internet page?
And if anybody, like myself is travelling a fair distance, I'd like more than a 'It'll probably be ok even if their webpage says otherwise' assumption.

pdeaves

Established Member
Yestetday, Southeastern (ok, not a shop!) was playing announcements (quote) 'strongly encouraging' mask wearing, followed by a long spiel about exemptions (can you be 'exempt' from being encouraged?!). Those who wanted them wore them, most ignored the announcement. I didn't hear the announcement today.

MikeWM

Established Member
My GP apparently doesn’t recognise this, the signage very clearly states “no exemptions here”. To what extent that would stand up seems to be a grey area, I seem to remember this cropped up here before and the consensus is if push came to shove they’d have to find a way to accommodate.

I'd try to find a new GP. If they think masks are so important as to not allow any exemptions, despite all the evidence we now have that they are totally useless, how can you have any faith in their medical abilities in any other areas?

(edit for double post. What's happened to GNs wifi over the last couple of weeks, it seems to be about 1% of the speed it used to be?)

This week:

Specsavers
Day Lewis pharmacy (as above)
Dentist (wait outside, as above)

They're private premises, one has no right of entry and they can put what terms of entry they like (statutory exemptions apply). If one doesn't want to enter on their terms, go somewhere else.

Patrick

102 fan

This week:

Specsavers

They're private premises, one has no right of entry and they can put what terms of entry they like (statutory exemptions apply). If one doesn't want to enter on their terms, go somewhere else.

Patrick

Covid has replaced sense now. Remember when businesses actually wanted customers inside thier premises? These businesses must be very assured of their future if they're happy to turn people away.

Class 33

Established Member
I was going to visit this shop! Museum,

What utter nonsense of that museum! There are no Covid-19 restrictions in place any more! We don't have to wear a face mask anymore! I'd email them to tell them that.

Also I note on their website it says there is a 25 minute time limit for visits. Rip-off if that's still the case! Social distancing nuisancing restrictions were scrapped over 9 MONTHS ago!!!

bramling

Veteran Member
I'd try to find a new GP. If they think masks are so important as to not allow any exemptions, despite all the evidence we now have that they are totally useless, how can you have any faith in their medical abilities in any other areas?

Just choked on my tea! All the GP surgeries here are the same. Likewise people complaining about it being all but impossible to gain access to a GP. As you say, hardly fills one with confidence.

(edit for double post. What's happened to GNs wifi over the last couple of weeks, it seems to be about 1% of the speed it used to be?)

Can’t answer that I’m afraid, I don’t use GTR much these days, for well documented reasons! ;)

This week:

Specsavers

There’s certainly a case to say the government should have been encouraging businesses to drop all this to align with official guidance. But what hope is there when even rail operators like LNER are still doing the passive-aggressive stuff.

What I do have particular beef with is the “no mask no entry no exemptions” signage. One doesn’t have to look too hard to still find it. In my view any business displaying such signage should be being fined, as a minimum they should be recognising statutory exemptions.

It’s rather depressing that, a year or so after all the vulnerable groups completed their course of vaccination, we’re still in this odd state of being normal but not normal. My work is the same - the official line was that all social distancing signage was supposed to come down at the beginning of this month (in my particular building this mysteriously happened some time before that!), yet again we’re still plastered with it all.

Last edited:

Deltic1961

The one I don't understand is mobile phone shops, specifically EE and Vodafone. They have barriers up so you can't just come in and you get questioned before setting foot in the premises. There's absolutely no need for this with social distancing long gone.

Sure it's a ploy from the companies so retail footfall dies and they can justify closing all the shops.

It's just laziness that so many businesses still have their social distancing posters in windows and all over the floor when there's absolutely no need for them.

wilbers

I was going to visit this shop/Museum,

So there is more than one Dr Who museum in the country. You could always go to this one instead https://www.museumofclassicsci-fi.com/

I've been meaning to go to it for awhile now, only found out it existed in 2019 even though its near me.

As far as the original question goes, hairdressers I use dropped mask requirements from start of April. Not sure if opticians have changed or not, they were quite strict back in February.

Status
Not open for further replies.