• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shops & other venues that still insist on masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Just got an email back from GWR to say they have now removed all COVID related signage and PA announcements from their trains. About time! Now I can start using their trains again!

Is LNER still keeping up their face coverings signage and PA announcements?
That's excellent news. Travelling on GWR tomorrow, and was hoping the eternal "... out of consideration for others" nonsense after every station wasn't going to be in evidence. It always seemed to be implying that you're so ugly that you should wear a mask so others don't have to look at you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
On a Merseyrail train this morning a woman was sitting in a four seat bay, and when a couple went to sit in the facing seats she challenged them with "have you got masks?" They looked taken aback, and sat somewhere else. I said to her that masks aren't compulsory now, and she shouldn't tell other people where they can't sit, and she said "yes I can" and turned away. Brainwashed I guess.

And I am sure said woman would not be challenging people on the last Merseyrail trains out of Central Liverpool on a Friday and Saturday night, who may just have had a few alcoholic beverages, as to whether they were wearing masks or not.

davetheguard

Established Member
Just got an email back from GWR to say they have now removed all COVID related signage and PA announcements from their trains. About time! Now I can start using their trains again!

Excellent news, better late than never.

It's great to hear that they've finally realised that trying to make their customers feel guilty is not really very good for business.

westv

Established Member
I noticed that the latest BBC article 56m ago on next week's strike is headlined by a PA photo of fully masked passengers on a platform.

gabrielhj07

The vast majority of the population? Like the 110k that already died in Poland from it?

It remains a big deal, and pretending otherwise is nothing short of incitement to murder.
Exclusivley from, from with other conditions, or not from but with?

Such distinctions are quite important

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The vast majority of the population? Like the 110k that already died in Poland from it?

It remains a big deal, and pretending otherwise is nothing short of incitement to murder.
Oh, please, not this again. How many people have died in Poland since March 2020? How many of those would have died even if not for Covid (i.e. what is the actual excess mortality)?

Why don't people care nearly as much about the hundreds of thousands of people who die each year of other "preventable" diseases?

It is only as much of a big deal as people choose to make of it. Bringing murder into it is just sensationalism.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Why don't people care nearly as much about the hundreds of thousands of people who die each year of other "preventable" diseases?

The easy answer: because it's sudden. It's always going to catch people's attention much more than something like HIV.

Agreed that we should be using the lessons from Covid to implement proper public health campaigns relating to other preventable diseases.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
When HIV was new, it very definitely did get people's attention.

It did, but these days, it's becoming (dangerously) ignored. Covid gave us a great opportunity to rethink how we deal with public health campaigns, yet it seems that we learnt nothing.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Sars-CoV-2 is no longer a big deal because we have built up high levels of immunity, through both vaccinations and infections.

If you are claiming that anyone on this forum is inciting murder, that's very much in your imagination and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding on your part.

It did, but these days, it's becoming (dangerously) ignored. Covid gave us a great opportunity to rethink how we deal with public health campaigns, yet it seems that we learnt nothing.
Well, we learnt what not to do, such not to overly scare people and not to lock down our society in this manner again!

bramling

Veteran Member

I’m in Wales at the moment, and apart from (empty) hand-gel dispensers in some places and the occasional piece of residual signage, you wouldn’t know anything was different from 2019. I’ve not seen a mask all week.

Jimini

Established Member
I was at the NEC in Birmingham on Monday night. The amount of legacy COVID stuff there was nothing short of ridiculous. Sanitizer stations, 2m markings on the floors, reminders to keep distance etc.

Pathetic.

I seem to recall when I had reason to head there last year (late summer I think), they were doing mandatory vaccine passport checks as well when you were on the walkway from Int'l station, simply to use the pedestrian access to Resorts World that took you through the NEC.

gabrielhj07

I was at the NEC in Birmingham on Monday night. The amount of legacy COVID stuff there was nothing short of ridiculous. Sanitizer stations, 2m markings on the floors, reminders to keep distance etc.
Still at it or are they just being lazy in taking them down?

I seem to recall when I had reason to head there last year (late summer I think), they were doing mandatory vaccine passport checks as well when you were on the walkway from Int'l station, simply to use the pedestrian access to Resorts World that took you through the NEC.
OTT. I suppose someone has to justify their introduction!

Jimini

Established Member
Still at it or are they just being lazy in taking them down?

Still actively maintaining them, I'm sad to report! The electronic ad boards had the old school stuff popping up on them as well.

trebor79

Established Member
Tell that to the families.
Hysteria upon hysteria. Laughable. I think I shall mute you as you're just going to wind me up.
Still actively maintaining them, I'm sad to report! The electronic ad boards had the old school stuff popping up on them as well.
All ignorable, though I don't know why they bother, nobody is doing any of it.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They actually voluntarily introduced Covid status checks before it was even a legal requirement. I went to an exhibition last August and was required to show “proof” at the time.

I put proof in quotation marks because it was nothing of the sort - as it predated the implementation of the official Covid status system introduced by the government, they were accepting, amongst other things, the blue appointment card, or a photo of a negative LFT!

Enthusiast

I seriously believe you should seek some psychiatric help. I'm not trying to be unpleasant but I really do. To suggest that those who believe that we are now living with one of the many endemic diseases which we all face and must cope with without taking extreme measures are inciting murder shows that either (a) you don't understand the legal meaning of murder or (b) you need help to enable you to get a grip or (c) both. My money is on (c).

Agreed that we should be using the lessons from Covid to implement proper public health campaigns relating to other preventable diseases.
Covid is not a preventable disease. It took countries such as Australia and New Zealand two years to reluctantly admit that. China and Hong Kong are still to do so. Everybody will be exposed to it sooner or later, many already have been. The vast majority will experience little or no symptoms. Others will suffer symptoms of varying severity. Unfortunately some will die from it (as people die from all manner of diseases). Vaccines help the vast majority from developing serious symptoms, but that's as "preventable" as it gets.

trainophile

Established Member
I'm quite happy that there are still gel dispensers in public places. It's helpful when you've used, or are about to use, a shopping trolley, or have been rifling through clothing in charity shops. Apart from Covid, not everyone has good hand hygiene and goodness knows what is lurking on shopping trolleys, bus rails etc. I hope they keep the gel going indefinitely.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I seriously believe you should seek some psychiatric help. I'm not trying to be unpleasant but I really do. To suggest that those who believe that we are now living with one of the many endemic diseases which we all face and must cope with without taking extreme measures are inciting murder shows that either (a) you don't understand the legal meaning of murder or (b) you need help to enable you to get a grip or (c) both. My money is on (c).

Covid is not a preventable disease. It took countries such as Australia and New Zealand two years to reluctantly admit that. China and Hong Kong are still to do so. Everybody will be exposed to it sooner or later, many already have been. The vast majority will experience little or no symptoms. Others will suffer symptoms of varying severity. Unfortunately some will die from it (as people die from all manner of diseases). Vaccines help the vast majority from developing serious symptoms, but that's as "preventable" as it gets.
I’m beginning to suspect we have a troll

bramling

Veteran Member
I'm quite happy that there are still gel dispensers in public places. It's helpful when you've used, or are about to use, a shopping trolley, or have been rifling through clothing in charity shops. Apart from Covid, not everyone has good hand hygiene and goodness knows what is lurking on shopping trolleys, bus rails etc. I hope they keep the gel going indefinitely.

It’s one thing having gel dispensers, however we have to remember there isn’t a magic gel tree. Somewhere these facilities are being paid for, though in a lot of cases they seem to have simply fallen into disuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.