• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shoreham Airshow Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnm

Established Member
To be fair to the CAA, they are well known for properly investigating and not jumping to conclusions, just like the RAIB.

The CAA aren't well known for doing that at all. The accident investigation will be carried out by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB), not the CAA. CAA will doubtless contribute evidence, but they aren't the statutory investigating authority.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
I think it does only apply to vintage aircraft and I think it is only intended as an interim measure although I suspect it will become permanent and rightly so in my opinion.

That's because you are a miserable so and so with no interest in aircraft and want to prevent anyone with an interest enjoying themselves! <D

The last spectator death was at Farnborough in 1958 (or something like that) so it isn't exactly an epidemic is it!

Lets be a bit sensible shall we or should we all wrap ourselves in cotton wool and not get out of bed because its sooooooo dangerous out there! :roll:

That's my opinion! ;)

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
That's because you are a miserable so and so with no interest in aircraft and want to prevent anyone with an interest enjoying themselves! <D

The last spectator death was at Farnborough in 1958 (or something like that) so it isn't exactly an epidemic is it!

Lets be a bit sensible shall we or should we all wrap ourselves in cotton wool and not get out of bed because its sooooooo dangerous out there! :roll:

That's my opinion! ;)

As I said above, unless those advocating banning what they think was the real cause for the incident, are prepared to take as drastic action on much more serious killing activities, (I suggested drink-driving but there are others), then such calls are disingenuous.

Antman

Established Member
As I said above, unless those advocating banning what they think was the real cause for the incident, are prepared to take as drastic action on much more serious killing activities, (I suggested drink-driving but there are others), then such calls are disingenuous.

I was under the impression that drink driving has already been banned?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

That's my opinion! ;)

However there have been accidents at previous air displays and many Shoreham residents felt this was an accident waiting to happen. I said previously that I have enjoyed watching air displays but do you really think vintage aircraft performing mid air stunts in close proximity to busy roads is a risk worth taking? If anybody wants to put themselves at risk that is their choice but nobody has the right to recklessly endanger other people.

AM9

Veteran Member
I was under the impression that drink driving has already been banned?

I didn't say anything about 'banning' drink-driving as driving with alcohol levels above a certain level has been a criminal offence since the late '60s. Please read what I said again, because I was referring to "drastic action on much more serious killing activities" of which drink-driving is a major one. Despite continuing deaths, offenders still walk away with a fine, a short ban and a wagged finger from the beak.
That is for an activity connected with over 200 deaths per year, most of them innocent, (even though it is 45 years since it was made illegal). Whereas after the first single freak accident in 62 years, there is all this clamour for instant banning of an activity because there have been 11 deaths; - that's many 100s of times less than drink-driving over the same period.
Either there is gross negligence on the part of the legislature for it's lenience over a criminal aspect of driving, or this clamour for a display-flying ban is yet another knee-jerk reaction to recent events. Some people have a strange set of priorities.
Get used to it, - there is no such thing as a 'risk-free life' and when the uninformed mob say ban anything that they 'think' is a real risk, it won't make any measurable difference.

Antman

Established Member
I didn't say anything about 'banning' drink-driving as driving with alcohol levels above a certain level has been a criminal offence since the late '60s. Please read what I said again, because I was referring to "drastic action on much more serious killing activities" of which drink-driving is a major one. Despite continuing deaths, offenders still walk away with a fine, a short ban and a wagged finger from the beak.
That is for an activity connected with over 200 deaths per year, most of them innocent, (even though it is 45 years since it was made illegal). Whereas after the first single freak accident in 62 years, there is all this clamour for instant banning of an activity because there have been 11 deaths; - that's many 100s of times less than drink-driving over the same period.
Either there is gross negligence on the part of the legislature for it's lenience over a criminal aspect of driving, or this clamour for a display-flying ban is yet another knee-jerk reaction to recent events. Some people have a strange set of priorities.
Get used to it, - there is no such thing as a 'risk-free life' and when the uninformed mob say ban anything that they 'think' is a real risk, it won't make any measurable difference.

Quite frankly it's difficult to know what you're talking about, it might help if you didn't keep bringing drink driving into this thread?

Dave1987

On Moderation
Whether it was mechanical failure or pilot error once the AAIB publishes its conclusions serious questions need to asked either about the maintenance of these vintage aircraft or the manor in which the pilots go about flying these displays. My sincere condolences go out to all the families of those killed in this incident.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
An initial report has been released by the AAIB and it doesn't yet really say what caused the crash. Though they seem to be leaning away from mechanical failure, from page 5:

To date no abnormal indications have been identified. Throughout the flight, the aircraft appeared to be responding to the pilot’s control inputs.

They do, however, point out that there was no flight data recorder and they've determined that from a video camera mounted inside the cockpit which shows the pilot and part of the instrument panel.

The investigation is ongoing and they're now looking at the wreckage and and maintenance records.

In answer to some questions on this forum the report also clarifies that an ejection seat was fitted and was available for use:

Ground crew reported that ... the safety pins for the pilot’s ejection seat had been removed and placed in the stowage provided prior to departure to arm the seat and its associated systems.

The BBC have also picked up the story here:

The jet which crashed at the Shoreham air show killing 11 people showed "no abnormal indications" during its flight, an initial report has found.

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) report said cockpit footage showed the plane "responding to the pilot's control inputs".

It also said pilot Andy Hill was thrown clear of the aircraft during the later part of the crash on 22 August.

The AAIB said it was not clear whether Mr Hill initiated his ejection.

The 51-year-old pilot is currently in a serious but stable condition in hospital.

The report says the Hawker Hunter's canopy was released at the initial impact. At this time fuel and fuel vapour was released and then ignited.

The jet split into four parts and both Mr Hill and his seat were thrown clear off the cockpit.

The report states: "The investigation continues to determine if the pilot attempted to initiate ejection or if the canopy and pilot's seat were liberated as a result of impact damage to the cockpit."

bnm

Established Member
Human error is seemingly more likely following that interim report. It's likely the AAIB will have evidence from the on board footage to determine whether or not the pilot reached the 'gate height' for the loop. There will also be paperwork checks to see whether the gate height was calculated correctly, as well as checks to see that the altimeter was correctly set.

It's also possible that entry, speed and gate height were all correct for the manoeuvre, but control inputs once 'over the top' were insufficient to complete the loop before running out of air space.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah I kinda get the feeling that this is where we're heading towards to be honest. Especially as the report doesn't seem to contain anything to suggest a mechanical fault. If there had a a been a flame out (which I'm sure I saw someone suggest somewhere) then the attempt to restart the engine would probably have been obvious from the footage.

AM9

Veteran Member
Quite frankly it's difficult to know what you're talking about, it might help if you didn't keep bringing drink driving into this thread?

If you don't understand then there's no point in your commenting. Some others have not had the same problems as you.

Antman

Established Member
If you don't understand then there's no point in your commenting. Some others have not had the same problems as you.

Most people are sick of the tripe you post on here, if you want to discuss drink driving then start a thread about it
Yeah I kinda get the feeling that this is where we're heading towards to be honest. Especially as the report doesn't seem to contain anything to suggest a mechanical fault. If there had a a been a flame out (which I'm sure I saw someone suggest somewhere) then the attempt to restart the engine would probably have been obvious from the footage.

I think that was the general opinion from the outset really from those in the know, no great surprises in the report really
Pilot Andy Hill has reportedly been discharged from hospital and is to be interviewed by police as soon as possible

jon91

I think that was the general opinion from the outset really from those in the know, no great surprises in the report really

Those 'in the know' as you put it wouldn't have made such an assumption, hence the investigation... :roll:

Antman

Established Member
Those 'in the know' as you put it wouldn't have made such an assumption, hence the investigation... :roll:

Wouldn't they? I don't know what planet you're on but there have been a few aviation experts giving their opinion. Anyway I won't comment further let's wait for the investigation before apportioning any blame.

Last edited:

jon91

There's a difference between and opinion and fact, and saying that 'lots of people agree with me' doesn't really wash. My point was that, if you had cared to read my post properly, people in the aviation industry wouldn't speculate about such an incident. You know professionalism and all that...

Antman

Established Member
There's a difference between and opinion and fact, and saying that 'lots of people agree with me' doesn't really wash. My point was that, if you had cared to read my post properly, people in the aviation industry wouldn't speculate about such an incident. You know professionalism and all that...

Well some people have done just as they have about other incidents (MH370 for example) and I think it would be unrealistic to expect people not to offer their opinion/speculate or whatever you want to call it

bnm

Established Member

There's a whole internet out there with foru for professional pilots and other aviation industry/military aviation personnel where speculation and opinion has been rife.

My opinion of this incident, based on the available evidence thus far, is human error.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.