• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Short formed GWR electric services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel88

On Moderation
I've noticed that within the last couple of weeks travelling from West Drayton more and more services are being operated by four coach trains, is there a reason for this? The reason I've started to travel on GWR again was the longer trains, so if GWR are going to cut the number of carriages from 8 to 4 I may have to switch again to the Tube!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
I've noticed that within the last couple of weeks travelling from West Drayton more and more services are being operated by four coach trains, is there a reason for this? The reason I've started to travel on GWR again was the longer trains, so if GWR are going to cut the number of carriages from 8 to 4 I may have to switch again to the Tube!

If they are diagrammed as a single 4 car then they aren’t shortformed! I would have to look through the diagrams to see how many actually run as single 4 cars through the day. Off the top of my head I don’t think there has been any increase of these.

If you are actually enquiring about shortformed units (4v8 or 8v12) then yes there has probably been a few of those recently, what with a couple of 387s finding themselves on the long term stop list, for example 387146 that went for a little excursion ‘offroad’ at West Ealing and all the usual planned maintenance then there have been days when we have been short in traffic.

cactustwirly

Established Member
If they are diagrammed as a single 4 car then they aren’t shortformed! I would have to look through the diagrams to see how many actually run as single 4 cars through the day. Off the top of my head I don’t think there has been any increase of these.

If you are actually enquiring about shortformed units (4v8 or 8v12) then yes there has probably been a few of those recently, what with a couple of 387s finding themselves on the long term stop list, for example 387146 that went for a little excursion ‘offroad’ at West Ealing and all the usual planned maintenance then there have been days when we have been short in traffic.

I believe the 1622 and 1635 departures from Maidenhead towards Reading and Didcot are booked for 4 cars.

FGW_DID

Established Member
A quick look through the current diagrams, there are about 14 (out of 40 diagrams) that include some workings as a 4 car unit. Most of these though are either very early morning or in the evening period with the majority of the workings as 8 or 12 car formations. There’s only about 3 diagrams where workings as a single 4 car is the biggest proportion of the diagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.