• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

shortage of southeastern 395's

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris7153

As a regular commuter from London St Pancras to kent coast via HS1. The last 2 weeks everyday our train has been overcrowded due to short formation only 1 x 6 car unit instead of usual 2 units being available. Southeastern have blamed a shortage due to a unit out for repairs. Does anyone have any more details of which 395 unit is out for long term repair? When it is likely to return. Also why is it always the same diagram that is short? 17.55 st pancras to Broadstairs?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

user15681

Established Member
End carriage 39201 of unit 395020 has damage to the nose. It moved by road to Wolverton for repairs 11 days ago.

ScotGG

Established Member
Seems like they're very short of stock with no spares. Short term thinking ordering so few? Now Ebbsfleet building is FINALLY underway they will need more surely?

WatcherZero

Established Member
I thought many of the Javelin were temporarily stored because they had more than enough capacity at 6 than 12. The extra demand for their daily use has come from brand new services rather than those they were originally ordered to operate.

chris7153

The popularity of HS1 has noticeably increased in the last 12 months and given the levels of overcrowding during rush hours i think the fleet of 29 units is pretty much at capacity. Emphasised by the problems of losing a unit. Southeastern have told me this unit could take several months to repair as parts need to be shipped from Hitachi in Japan. Dont expect 12 carriages back on the 05.46 Margate to St Pancras via Ashford or 17.55 St Pancras to Broadstairs for a good while.

Class 466

Established Member
I thought many of the Javelin were temporarily stored because they had more than enough capacity at 6 than 12. The extra demand for their daily use has come from brand new services rather than those they were originally ordered to operate.

That was back in 2010, the economic recession had something to do with it for sure. The highspeed 'rounders' now mean the units are most definitely stretched.

Mikey C

Established Member
That was back in 2010, the economic recession had something to do with it for sure. The highspeed 'rounders' now mean the units are most definitely stretched.

I imagine they wanted to keep a few units spare so that when the 395s were used for the Olympic shuttle they wouldn't have to downgrade existing services

chris7153

The 17:55 St Pancras to Broadstairs has reverted back to 12 carriages as of Monday 5th.

My thoughts are either:
39201 (395020) has been repaired and back in service? does anyone know it's current status?

Or this has coincided with the re-opening of the Folkestone - Dover, which has somehow released more stock?

gsnedders

Established Member
I presume there's nothing stopping a further order (unlike DMUs where emissions standards are a concern), apart from Hitachi's full order book?

Chance of them getting the "stored" 373s? Though I guess the platform heights are wrong, given they always had dedicated platforms in the UK?

Class 466

Established Member
The 17:55 St Pancras to Broadstairs has reverted back to 12 carriages as of Monday 5th.

My thoughts are either:
39201 (395020) has been repaired and back in service? does anyone know it's current status?

Or this has coincided with the re-opening of the Folkestone - Dover, which has somehow released more stock?

Simply another service has been shortened instead. Nothing more than that.

Hughqq

It was still OOS at Ashford this morning.

I think they have just changed the short formation to a different service in the morning, not sure about the afternoon.

SE have a good journey info page on their website showing formation changes

My thoughts are either:

user15681

Established Member
06:15 Margate to St Pancras International short-formed until further notice.

DPWH

On Moderation
If only 1 carriage is bust, why can't they get a shunter out and put together a single permanent 10 coach formation?

Class 466

Established Member
If only 1 carriage is bust, why can't they get a shunter out and put together a single permanent 10 coach formation?

For many many reasons. It's not like shoving Mark 3s together or anything.

D365

Veteran Member
Thanks, I wasn't sure if there would be one or two.

Hughqq

SE are showing the ongoing short formation will end on Monday, so the damaged unit must be returning this weekend

Class 466

Established Member
SE are showing the ongoing short formation will end on Monday, so the damaged unit must be returning this weekend

Nope - Maintenance have released a 26th Unit for service. the damaged unit is not due back until the end of the year.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My family, who seem to be enamoured of this overpriced service, and who are 'normal's', mentioned this issue to me without prompting. They even seemed to be aware that a part was being sourced from overseas.

Thankfully with the class 800's they've made them build the factory over here, which should hopefully head off such issues.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For many many reasons. It's not like shoving Mark 3s together or anything.

Doesn't sound like a very robust way of designing a train to me. One would have hoped that removing a carriage would be one of the least difficult activities.

Class 466

Established Member
There's been a repeat incident in Ramsgate Depot and 395007 is out of service UFN.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
How much commonality in parts is there between the Javelins and IEPs - body work parts will obviously be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.