• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Shortest distance between stops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nash

Not including tube lines, the shortest I know is about 300 yards.
Does anyone know any closer ones ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

At_traction

Do back-to-back stopping positions on the same platform qualify? :lol:
And after all, there is a signal in-between...

Flamingo

Established Member
I don't have my maps with me, but some of the stations on the Maesteg line seem pretty close.

12CSVT

Established Member
I reckon Ty Glas to Birchgrove (Coryton branch) is the shortest.

The distance between Blackfriars and City Thameslink will have increased when Blackfriars reopens next month as the platforms will be further south.

b0b

Established Member
How about my favourite, Argyle St to Glasgow Central LL

12CSVT

Established Member
This has been done to death loads of times, London blackfriars to city thameslink wins.

If the distance the train travels between the two stops is the criteria then Ty Glas to Birchgrove would be the most likely contendor. Blackfriars platforms will be about 100 yards further south from their origional position when the station reopens.

scotsman

Established Member
RailMiles says:

Distance: 0mi 17ch
Route: Ty Glas, Birchgrove

Distance: 0mi 14ch
Route: London Blackfriars, City Thameslink

DMUchap

Your going to have to reword that, I don't follow.

Apologies. I have a strange habit of leaving written sentences looking incomplete when my mind is on two subjects at once.

What I meant to say was, I thought the run between Culrain and Invershin was the only shortest run between stations on the whole of the UK rail network.

bradders1983

Apologies. I have a strange habit of leaving written sentences looking incomplete when my mind is on two subjects at once.

What I meant to say was, I thought the run between Culrain and Invershin was the only shortest run between stations on the whole of the UK rail network.

In which case the question was answered by me in the 2nd post then :D

MCR247

Established Member
No, not really.

City Thameslink and Blackfriars are (were?) 0m 14ch away from each other. IF they are around 100yards further when Blackfriars re-opens, it will be very close as 100yards is 4 chains (roughly) and the distance between Ty Glas and Birchgrove is 0 miles 17 chains

Nash

I reckon Ty Glas to Birchgrove (Coryton branch) is the shortest.

The distance between Blackfriars and City Thameslink will have increased when Blackfriars reopens next month as the platforms will be further south.

That's the line (Coryton) I was thinking when I posed the question and it's my local line.

Tomnick

Established Member
No, I mean what I said in my original post, they call it a Track Atlas Of Great Britian, SWEAR BY IT!
Please correct me if Quail says I'm wrong, but the mileages for Oxford Road and Deansgate are 189m28ch and 189m57ch - no? Thus, the distance between the two is 29 chains as previously corrected.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Please correct me if Quail says I'm wrong, but the mileages for Oxford Road and Deansgate are 189m28ch and 189m57ch - no? Thus, the distance between the two is 29 chains as previously corrected.

Railmiles has it as 29ch as well.

Is you saying that my copy of Rail Atlas is a duffer and therefore calling it a liar?

Tomnick

Established Member
Would that be this page (taken from the Trackmaps website!), by any chance? If so, the mileage at Oxford Road differs by one chain from the mileage that I quoted earlier (typo on their part?), but I'd suggest that you've failed to interpret it properly rather than the page itself being a "liar"...

12CSVT

Established Member
Probably off-topic for this thread, but what's the distance from Sheringham (Network Rail station) to Sheringham (North Norfolk station) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.